Squad rotation

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’ve heard what PC says about needing everyone game ready and that can only really happen by rotating players. 

But two games in a row now he’s hooked players at half time because they have been a liability, not because he’s rotating but because it’s not working. 

Rotating players only works if your squad is strong but our squad hasn’t got the depth to switch things up so often. Even more so as our injuries mount up. 

Is it time for our strongest 11 every time and bin rotation at least until he’s got a summer window under his belt?

With 9 league games to go I would say so mate, let’s get our strongest 11 on the pitch and fucking go for it 

2 hours ago, King Jela said:

They probably will be a step too far, but we can't go into those games with that attitude. 

Are both Balogun and Jack in the squad? 

Actually not sure about the eurosquad tbh, good point

Every man and their dog knew Armstrong is the totally wrong player to have Barisic up against mid week

Also that Raskin would be a candidate for a half time sub before a ball was even kicked today. If he wanted Lawrence rested then put Silva in the 10 or out wide and move Sterling into midfield or put Wright out wide and put Sterling in the midfield if he wanted Diomande in the 10. What we ended up with was seemingly the worst option available Raskin a man down playing centre mid and Diomande looking absolutely lost as a number 10, upset the balance of our team right from the off for me 

I know we need to rotate to keep some players fresh but Raskin showed Clement what he is when he got his chance at Hibs away and he was anonymous. It’s disappointing he was given a second chance to serve up the same dross when there were other options 

6 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’ve heard what PC says about needing everyone game ready and that can only really happen by rotating players. 

But two games in a row now he’s hooked players at half time because they have been a liability, not because he’s rotating but because it’s not working. 

Rotating players only works if your squad is strong but our squad hasn’t got the depth to switch things up so often. Even more so as our injuries mount up. 

Is it time for our strongest 11 every time and bin rotation at least until he’s got a summer window under his belt?

He’s got away with it until today. There’s been quite a few starting line ups that have raised eyebrows but it’s worked. Again today you see the starting side and think it could be a struggle 

Again though he might have got away with it if so many hadn’t been so poor on the day - diabolical through the whole side. 
Gives Raskin game time, becomes invisible then subbed at half time. 

Couldn’t really give much of a fuck about Europe as it stands - everything should be flung at the league. 

Nah I am fine with what he’s doing regarding rotation because he’s big enough to make the changes needed early enough in the game if need be

We had countless chances yesterday and easily could have won it. Some days it just doesn’t happen and yesterday was one of them.

We do however need to work on corners, we must be one of the worst in football at creating genuine scoring opportunities from them 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Nah I am fine with what he’s doing regarding rotation because he’s big enough to make the changes needed early enough in the game if need be

We had countless chances yesterday and easily could have won it. Some days it just doesn’t happen and yesterday was one of them.

We do however need to work on corners, we must be one of the worst in football at creating genuine scoring opportunities from them 

I think I  read some stats about goalscoring opportunities from corners across football in general and they are very poor. which is weird why we all clap and get excited when we get one. 

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I think I  read some stats about goalscoring opportunities from corners across football in general and they are very poor. which is weird why we all clap and get excited when we get one. 

Aye the stats show goals don’t often come from corners but we regularly get upwards of 10 a game and never score from them, most teams don’t get half as many as we do domestically 

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Aye the stats show goals don’t often come from corners but we regularly get upwards of 10 a game and never score from them, most teams don’t get half as many as we do domestically 

I do think Kilmarnock”s corners were very good. They worried us that’s for sure 

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I do think Kilmarnock”s corners were very good. They worried us that’s for sure 

I’m worried by most teams when they get corners against us, but literally never feel anything will come from our own.

Every time we concede a corner to celtic I am concerned they will score from it

When you have a professional footballer continually missing the target from free headers, we have a problem. Two goals from corners this season that I can remember, only one in the league, the other was away to Betis.

8 hours ago, bluenoz said:

At this stage, with less than potentially 20 games to go, I don't agree with squad rotation. The best players play and get us over the line.

People want to always agree with Clement. Of course, I get that. I'm not sure this is one of those correct decisions.

You can't play your best 11 for the next 20 games, that's a madness take mate.

Our problems yesterday were due to the fact the entire side had a collective shocker. 

We’ve also went from having Cantwell, Lawrence and Silva as our creative players, to shoehorning Sterling, Diomande and McAusland into those 3 positions. That’s why we didn’t take our chances. 

Souttar needs to learn to head a fucking ball and Goldson had an absolute mare yesterday also. 

Squad rotation is fine if you have the players, at this moment in time we don’t.

I said it on match thread yesterday - the 5 behind Dessers had 4 league goals between them yesterday so it was back to how we’ve been for years - relying on our number 9 or Tav to score the goals.

At this moment we may have to ask more of Lawrence until Cantwell is back.

We may have to ask more of Silva until Sima is back.

What i’m not having is players like Wright, McCausland and Raskin starting against Hibs and Dundee whilst the others are sat on bench.

The league will be worth a reported £60m this year. It would put us on a more even financial footing as them, or give them even more opportunity to spend their way to success for years. 

It warrants our strongest team starting for the remaining 9 games. 

Not sure it’s because the manager doesn’t want to play his strongest team.

It’s that he’s worried players will go flat and dip. (Like yesterday)

If we’d had an extra days rest and been playing today I don’t think we’d have been as flat and Lawrence might have started.

Rotation is to try to stop players burning out, picking up injuries, for getting fitness back. Which is fine if we're building up to a grand finale. But we're not. We're not likely to get to Dublin, and the SC is the least value of the 3 competitions we're still in. Rotating in the league, and getting scares like at Killie then punished yesterday could hurt us to the extent that we don't even get to the final league game still in contention.

The league games need to be prioritised. There's 60m reasons at stake as to why.

8 hours ago, GA1972 said:

Every man and their dog knew Armstrong is the totally wrong player to have Barisic up against mid week

Also that Raskin would be a candidate for a half time sub before a ball was even kicked today. If he wanted Lawrence rested then put Silva in the 10 or out wide and move Sterling into midfield or put Wright out wide and put Sterling in the midfield if he wanted Diomande in the 10. What we ended up with was seemingly the worst option available Raskin a man down playing centre mid and Diomande looking absolutely lost as a number 10, upset the balance of our team right from the off for me 

I know we need to rotate to keep some players fresh but Raskin showed Clement what he is when he got his chance at Hibs away and he was anonymous. It’s disappointing he was given a second chance to serve up the same dross when there were other options 

Nail hit right on the fkn head as it wasn’t the rotation as Phil has an end of season view along with an eye on Thursday but it was his choice of players and their positions which was wrong and your suggestions to me was a better option.

Add in the series of missed chances by a donkey who needs 5 to score 1, Souttar not getting away with it as he did mid week due to Jack and the same 15 mostly outswinging corners with 1 variation.

Our luck ran out as we pushed the last bit on Wednesday then with the mistakes all round yesterday from a team who I think were too focussed on Thursday, as that’s what they’ll prize, more than a Scottish league no matter how us fans feel.

We then have this ‘penalty to Rangers’ which we all loved and got traction in Europe where the laws of the game were applied properly but here in this shithole it’s worked against us and is used not to give us anything and although it wasn’t contrived by them, it’s certainly being used against us by the usual suspects where it’s now in the minds of the refs. The refs are shit scared to give us any decisions and the fact the ref was not called to the monitor for Ross is a case in a point and that’s not even adding in the Mayo hand ball.

Is the league over, is it fuck and we’ll still be sitting top today as long as hearts don’t lose an early goal. I’ve got a little bit of faith in Shankland to prove a point.

56 is still in our hands this season as are two other trophies. We’re Rangers, we don’t accept to lose before a ball is kicked in any game or any tournament, it’s who we are and this fight is in our blue blood and our blue hearts as we’re the only decent thing left in this country 🇬🇧 

21 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Rotation is to try to stop players burning out, picking up injuries, getting fitness back. Which is fine if we're building up to a grand finale. But we're not. We're not likely to get to Dublin, and the SC is the least value of the 3 competitions we're still in. Rotating in the league, and getting scares like at Killie then punished yesterday could hurt us to the extent that we don't even get to the final league game still in contention.

The league games need to be prioritised. There's 60m reasons at stake as to why.

I really don’t think he has a choice.

He has a squad of journeymen who are either carrying a knock but playing through it or are recovering from injury and nowhere near fully fit.

Or guys like Jack and Roofe, good for ten minutes every three months.

Had we not suffered a ridiculous number of injuries, players like Lawrence, McCausland, Wright, Raskin wouldn’t be near the first team right now and I’m not convinced that Lundstram is 100% right now either.

He doesn’t have the luxury of choice, it’s about getting eleven men on the pitch, as close to being fit as possible.

No other team or manager would be where we are with such carnage in terms of injuries and a medical team who seem unable to get injured players back for months at a time.

14 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

I really don’t think he has a choice.

He has a squad of journeymen who are either carrying a knock but playing through it or are recovering from injury and nowhere near fully fit.

Or guys like Jack and Roofe, good for ten minutes every three months.

Had we not suffered a ridiculous number of injuries, players like Lawrence, McCausland, Wright, Raskin wouldn’t be near the first team right now and I’m not convinced that Lundstram is 100% right now either.

He doesn’t have the luxury of choice, it’s about getting eleven men on the pitch, as close to being fit as possible.

No other team or manager would be where we are with such carnage in terms of injuries and a medical team who seem unable to get injured players back for months at a time.

I get the cards are stacked against him and he's done brilliantly well considering.

But in the league we can't afford to have our better players rested, dropped, starting on the bench. It needs to be the best available, preferably in their best positions. Otherwise like Killie and yesterday we'll struggle.

Raskin isn't in based on any sort of form, it can only be rotation. Like Barisic last week too. Lawrence got 45 mins and is better than Raskin so why not start him and if we've got the game secure Raskin comes on 2nd half.

If rotation is fine then we'll be happy doing it in the old firm game.... or will we go strongest possible as that game is so important but we'll risk dropping more points against others in league by going with our backups.

16 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

How come you’ve not made a thread about squad rotation until today?

He’s made 4/5 changes every game and not one criticism from anyone?

We were poor but if this was an issue why wait until now to flag it up?

Plenty of comments here during the first half on Wednesday.  Those changes didn't work and he had to hook 3 players by early in the second half

Personally, I'm not going to overly criticise as I can see why he's doing it but not playing our strongest line up away to Kilmarnock, probably our second toughest away match in the league, didn't make sense to me

By the Dundee game that will be 15 games we’ll have played since returning 20th Jan.

I can’t see any other clubs having that many fixtures in that time where they’ve basically had to play their first team in every game.

Really runs the risk in a drop off from guys like Lundstrum, Tav, Goldson etc who’ve played virtually every minute.