Squad rotation

I’ve heard what PC says about needing everyone game ready and that can only really happen by rotating players. 

But two games in a row now he’s hooked players at half time because they have been a liability, not because he’s rotating but because it’s not working. 

Rotating players only works if your squad is strong but our squad hasn’t got the depth to switch things up so often. Even more so as our injuries mount up. 

Is it time for our strongest 11 every time and bin rotation at least until he’s got a summer window under his belt?

6 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I’ve heard what PC says about needing everyone game ready and that can only really happen by rotating players. 

But two games in a row now he’s hooked players at half time because they have been a liability, not because he’s rotating but because it’s not working. 

Rotating players only works if your squad is strong but our squad hasn’t got the depth to switch things up so often. Even more so as our injuries mount up. 

Is it time for our strongest 11 every time and bin rotation at least until he’s got a summer window under his belt?

It was working until today. I think his main reason doing it was to get the injured players in and up to speed to give us a healthy squad. I’m not sure we can rotate much now with players dropping like flies as per.

Strongest 11 for the Benfica games, play the kids and reserves against Hibs and strongest 11 for Dundee before the break. 

Rotation is vital to keep your best players as fit as possible. If we have to rotate then do it for the cup. 

Can't send a weakened team out in the knockout stages of Europe. Not a fucking chance. 

6 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Strongest 11 for the Benfica games, play the kids and reserves against Hibs and strongest 11 for Dundee before the break. 

Rotation is vital to keep your best players as fit as possible. If we have to rotate then do it for the cup. 

Can't send a weakened team out in the knockout stages of Europe. Not a fucking chance. 

Unfortunately I think benfica will be a step too far for us but I’d like to see balogun and Jack play both those games. They amongst others need to get minutes and up to speed with the rest of the squad.

1 minute ago, kelvd1873 said:

Unfortunately I think benfica will be a step too far for us but I’d like to see balogun and Jack play both those games. They amongst others need to get minutes and up to speed with the rest of the squad.

Don't think Balogun is in the Euro squad. Think it was Silva, Diomande and Ridvan that were added. 

He came in to a team ravaged by injury and players in a really poor shape. He was classy enough not to slate the previous management but we all knew where it stemmed from.

We signed 3 players in the window, we loaned out 1 and another has also left. So by in large the same size of squad and players.

He needed to figure out why players were in such a bad way and previously Beale played the same team all the time, so he’s rotating to get fitness levels up and keep them sharp in case they are needed.

If cantwell and Cortes were not injured we win that game today in my opinion, the rotation itself isn’t the problem….if you have a team of 11 players who all have a 5 out of 10 day you are going to drop points if the other team are up for it.

4 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

How come you’ve not made a thread about squad rotation until today?

He’s made 4/5 changes every game and not one criticism from anyone?

We were poor but if this was an issue why wait until now to flag it up?

Probably because we won...

It was highlighted midweek and we got away with it with half time subs...this week we made the same mistakes but the subs didn't change it.

It's clearly an issue

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Probably because we won...

It was highlighted midweek and we got away with it with half time subs...this week we made the same mistakes but the subs didn't change it.

It's clearly an issue

It’s clearly not if we’ve been winning

8 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

well i've been saying it since the gerrard era i'm just not a fan of it, look what happened when stevie interrupted the partnership of goldson and katic and replaced katic with woral, it ruined the big guys confidence, pretty much our defensive record was some what solid but then it kind of went to shit, we brought katic back for the hamilton game and he had a nightmare of a game after that he was rotated at the back, as i said before, why try and fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

37 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

It was working until today. I think his main reason doing it was to get the injured players in and up to speed to give us a healthy squad. I’m not sure we can rotate much now with players dropping like flies as per.

It never worked well at Kilmarnock. Fortunately his substitutions helped recover the situation.

7 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It never worked well at Kilmarnock. Fortunately his substitutions helped recover the situation.

There’s an argument he still rotated the starting 11 at killie and won though. Doesn’t matter it’s splitting hairs, overall the rotation for me has worked. Yesterdays 11 should have been good enough to win imo and I didn’t see many complaints when the line up was announced. 

46 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Things are fine.

Until they stop being fine…

At which point minor misgivings turn into full blown issues.

Just the way it works…

At this stage, with less than potentially 20 games to go, I don't agree with squad rotation. The best players play and get us over the line.

People want to always agree with Clement. Of course, I get that. I'm not sure this is one of those correct decisions.

58 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

They probably will be a step too far, but we can't go into those games with that attitude. 

Are both Balogun and Jack in the squad? 

28 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

The alternative to squad rotation is burning out the players, leading to more injuries, resulting in having Joe Aribo up front and Scott Wright starting in a European final like 2022. 

Especially if you play an aggressive press, it catches up with you. celtic did it under Postecoglou and ran out of gas before Xmas with several injuries. And saved by that winter break.

Can already see guys like Lundstrum not keeping the same intensity as they have been at.

These extra European games, cup run and injuries are going to naturally feed into drops in intensity like today. 

29 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

At this stage, with less than potentially 20 games to go, I don't agree with squad rotation. The best players play and get us over the line.

People want to always agree with Clement. Of course, I get that. I'm not sure this is one of those correct decisions.

To be fair, it’s not rotation for rotation’s sake.

The injury situation is so horrendous (and getting worse, not better) that he’s trying to give as many players as many minutes as he can so that we can still field eleven players and fill the subs bench.

As for Cantwell and McCausland getting kicked out the game, just imagine the outcry had that been Furuhashi and O’Riley.

The Motherwell players crossed the line between pressuring and fouling on umpteen occasions today but it went completely unpunished.

Injuries and corrupt officiating remain bigger obstacles to us than the scum.