Expectations for 24/25 at this moment in time

My expectations depend on the ins and outs that happen over next few weeks.  I have a different opinion on this than most on here.  I think if we make too many changes, get rid of too many of our existing players, the chances of us having a successful season are extremely unlikely.  Not saying we shouldn’t make some changes but think a targeted upgrade rather than a rebuild would be preferable, at least as far as next season is concerned.

8 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

My expectations depend on the ins and outs that happen over next few weeks.  I have a different opinion on this than most on here.  I think if we make too many changes, get rid of too many of our existing players, the chances of us having a successful season are extremely unlikely.  Not saying we shouldn’t make some changes but think a targeted upgrade rather than a rebuild would be preferable, at least as far as next season is concerned.

The whole point of the OPs thread was about the situation as it is now. Confident with what we have now or not?

21 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The whole point of the OPs thread was about the situation as it is now. Confident with what we have now or not?

Difficult to answer that since I don’t know if the incoming players are an upgrade to what we have, apart from Cortes who did/will improve us.  The players who’ve moved on are no great loss with exception of Sima (and possibly Lundstram).  
Despite hugely disappointing end to last season, the team took us to within 80-85% of winning the title.  Not good enough I know, we have to find that extra 20%.  Since the incoming players are generally all young and inexperienced, I think it is unlikely the necessary upgrade has been made to date, so doubt we’ll do any better than last year.  So no, not confident as things currently stand.

32 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Difficult to answer that since I don’t know if the incoming players are an upgrade to what we have, apart from Cortes who did/will improve us.  The players who’ve moved on are no great loss with exception of Sima (and possibly Lundstram).  
Despite hugely disappointing end to last season, the team took us to within 80-85% of winning the title.  Not good enough I know, we have to find that extra 20%.  Since the incoming players are generally all young and inexperienced, I think it is unlikely the necessary upgrade has been made to date, so doubt we’ll do any better than last year.  So no, not confident as things currently stand.

You seem to be struggling with the concept of right here right now.  You got there with your last sentence.👍

Other than pure blind hope or uber staunchness I struggle to see how anyone can take an honest look at our current situation and have hope for a good season. I honestly think we're in for a stinker. Hopefully the movement in and out over the next few weeks changes my view and outlook.

2 hours ago, crmpicco said:

Other than pure blind hope or uber staunchness I struggle to see how anyone can take an honest look at our current situation and have hope for a good season. I honestly think we're in for a stinker. Hopefully the movement in and out over the next few weeks changes my view and outlook.

We on here should be suspicious of you. Such a negative poster out the blocks. Definitely fishy 

David Edgar done an article on H&H that pretty much sums up where we are tbh!

Over the last few years, Rangers fans have got into the habit - or rather, Rangers have made the fans get into the habit - of being relieved that the season is over. After uninspiring performances, painful losses in big matches and many an off-field nonsense, the break has almost come to feel like a burden being lifted. The beckoning summer offers a chance to rebuild, to replenish lost energies and gear up for the next season's battles. This year, though, something feels different - and not in a good way.
Perhaps it is the thought of yet another squad rebuild after years of half-arsed or completely botched attempts. Maybe it's the Stadium fiasco and not knowing where we'll be pitching up to watch our side. Or could it be it's just inevitable that after a while, the downbeat mood from one season will bleed into the next? Hell, maybe it's the weather. Most likely it's a combination of them all.
The reasons can be argued, but what is difficult to shake is the notion of malaise. The factors mentioned - with the exception of the weather, which in fairness even the most performative Twitter hot-take machine would struggle to pin on the club - have one central theme: mistakes. There is a sense among the support that the club, to put it mildly, can't get anything right. Now, whether that is fair or not is very much down to the perceptive powers of the individual supporter but it doesn't change the perception. Rangers stumble along from one month to the next, hoping whichever latest swing for the fences we are attempting will work. It then doesn't, fans are asked to put it behind them and on the circus rumbles.
Signings are often a short-term summer fix but there's a Catch 22 inherent in Rangers dealings - namely, the type of signings that would excite the support are beyond the means of Rangers. The changing world of football finance has been difficult for some supporters to fully get their heads round. Simply put, almost every club in the EPL will buy a single player this summer that costs as much individually as every club in Scotland will buy combined. FFP is another area which some of the support struggle with when they say the board 'must back the manager' when the fact is that even if a Shiekh came in tomorrow he wouldn't be able to spend £100m on players without breaching UEFA rules. We have to live within our means and, for those of us who grew up in the 90s, that is incredibly frustrating.
The club's tendency in times like this is to keep its head down and try to let results, be they onfield or in the market, do the talking. It's an idea which comes from a good place believe it or not - they don't want to annoy the support with a load of chat and instead want to focus on delivering tangible actions - but that isn't the type of leadership we need right now. Being worried how words are percieved and therefore choosing not to deliver them is backing down, not pitching up.
The question isn't if Rangers are a bit of a mess in summer 2024. With no CEO, Head of Academy or even a place to play when the season begins, we demonstrably are. The question is how we intend to emerge from it. What are the plans? Where are we going? How are we going to get there?
Nature abhors a vacuum and in this age of social media, this silence will be filled by ever-louder, ever more shrill voices. We all know accounts who seem to exist in a perennial competition to be the angriest, the most upset, the ones ever aching to tell everyone else when it goes wrong that they saw it coming. It's as if they derive some sort of compensatory pleasure from this. In many ways, it's self-protection, trying to guard themselves against the inevitable disappointment. I've never subscribed to this because the hurt still hurts when it comes and I don't take any joy in taunting other fans that I knew it would. But when those voices are pretty much the only ones out there it drains the energy of the moderate support. That takes us right back to that word again: malaise.
Now, before anyone says 'it's only July 7', you are absolutely right. But I would argue these next three weeks are absolutely crucial in setting the mood for the campaign ahead. Business-as-usual is not an option for Rangers now because business-as-usual is exactly what we fans fear. The Chairman needs to address where we are and what he'll do to get us out of it. The manager needs to tell us about the team he is building and how he envisions it will work. Lastly there needs to be a club-wide acknowledgement that things have to change.
Rangers are not, as I write this, at the point of crisis, but anyone who says they can't see it hovering on the horizon is deluding themselves. This next month will, for good or worse, shape the whole tone of 24/25. Rangers still have the opportunity to take this moment, shape it and drive us on. Too often it feels like Rangers are a club where things happen to us, rather than because of us.
I count myself as reasonably optimistic and I don't think there is a single problem that can't be fixed at Rangers if the right directions are taken. Let's start by bringing supporters in on the journey. Treat people like adults and you'll get adult reactions. We know we're a long way from where we need to be - so set a course and bring us with you.

43 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Zero

Struggling to remember being less excited for an upcoming season.

This.

Seems we are fucked before it even starts. Going into a defining season with the prospect of one of our trump cards for massive games (Ibrox) being taken away just feels like a kick in the baws.

Feel sorry for Clement and the support. 

2 hours ago, The Godfather said:

This.

Seems we are fucked before it even starts. Going into a defining season with the prospect of one of our trump cards for massive games (Ibrox) being taken away just feels like a kick in the baws.

Feel sorry for Clement and the support. 

I genuinely don’t think I’ve felt like this in the summer before a season in my life. Even last season I remember proper buzzing the week before going to Rugby Park. There’s always been a bit of hope or something to cling on to but it feels like we’ve just been battered into submission now. I’ve got a feeling though that the total apathy felt just now will turn into anger aimed at the Board and Bennet once the season starts if things aren’t going well. 

Just now, B1872 said:

I genuinely don’t think I’ve felt like this in the summer before a season in my life. Even last season I remember proper buzzing the week before going to Rugby Park. There’s always been a bit of hope or something to cling on to but it feels like we’ve just been battered into submission now. I’ve got a feeling though that the total apathy felt just now will turn into anger aimed at the Board and Bennet once the season starts if things aren’t going well. 

Yeah, it just seems we never get a full season of normality. We really can't afford to start the season shite again but playing away from Ibrox especially in Europe gives me the fear. It should never have been on the cards but we are run by tits 

Unless we have a lot of deals done in the background and are about to announce a slew of new, quality signings, we won't even run the league as close as we did last season. Couldn't  care less about the new season tbh. Wish we could just sim it like Champ Man.

The lack of transfer activity is concerning, but it's still far too early to worry about.

The longer we take getting losers out, the more difficult the start we'll have trying to get new players bedded in and linking up. 

I expect a difficult start to the season tbh.

13 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You seem to be struggling with the concept of right here right now.  You got there with your last sentence.👍

Not struggling, just responding to the OP in its entirety.   

1 hour ago, SkylineBlue said:

Unless we have a lot of deals done in the background and are about to announce a slew of new, quality signings, we won't even run the league as close as we did last season. Couldn't  care less about the new season tbh. Wish we could just sim it like Champ Man.

If it’s the current squad as is it's another shite season ahead. 

I do think we'll add more before the window is closed. What that level of quailty will be is a different question. 

At least the unwashed haven’t improved yet and still don’t have a goalkeeper.

I’m also excited to see if Clement changes the style of play to something that’s entertaining and obviously winning.

Signings are almost all uninspiring though on paper at least.

I’m not expecting a lot so not going to get overly mad when the inevitable happens.

don’t expect us to win anything but I guess if we can see a clear direction and strategy on and off the park to build on it might be enough to keep hopes up. 

9 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

We on here should be suspicious of you. Such a negative poster out the blocks. Definitely fishy 

I mean I could staunch it up and pretend we’re going to win the treble. It doesn’t matter either way what I think or what is talked about on here