Olympics 2024

5 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Paula Radcliffe defended the cunt too, compared it to drug cheats. :ang:

None of the people saying he has served his time etc seem to have acknowledged that he served 1/4 of his time, and then came out and said that criticism of him was "nonsense" and that he was "just figuring myself out" when he flew to another country to repeatedly rape a 12 year-old. 

I'm all for second chances for even the worst criminals, if they repent. He hasn't. A repentant child rapist would not want to go on worldwide TV, rubbing his victim's face in it. 

1 hour ago, Jelle1880 said:

Not only that, it's been confirmed that the Dutch team are openly admitting they are shielding him from everything and they are aware of his conviction.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/28/dutch-protect-convicted-rapist-steven-van-de-velde-paris/

“We are protecting a convicted child rapist, yes,” said press attache John van Vliet after Van de Velde was allowed to swerve media duties after the event. “To do his sport as best as possible, at a tournament he qualified for.”

Disgusting.

It’s got to be down to the Dutch having a very “ relaxed” view of the age of consent and stuff like that. I’m sure I read somewhere that up until the early 2000s they thought having sex with a 12 year old was perfectly legal.

Obviously that view is repugnant to most of the world but they don’t seem to give a fuck

51 minutes ago, JamieD said:

None of the people saying he has served his time etc seem to have acknowledged that he served 1/4 of his time, and then came out and said that criticism of him was "nonsense" and that he was "just figuring myself out" when he flew to another country to repeatedly rape a 12 year-old. 

I'm all for second chances for even the worst criminals, if they repent. He hasn't. A repentant child rapist would not want to go on worldwide TV, rubbing his victim's face in it. 

His attitude is the sickest part to me. No remorse, no guilt, just figuring himself out.

Cunt.

10 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

His attitude is the sickest part to me. No remorse, no guilt, just figuring himself out.

Cunt.

It seems to me that it's just about possible that a person at 19 could be so deformed a personality that they could do what he did, and yet not so deformed that they are beyond rehabilitation and redemption, and yet this guy exhibits no signs of the latter whatsoever, at least not publicly.

Who knows what undertakings he made in prison, or to the Dutch olympic committee, to prove his rehabilitation, but his inability to display that remorse publicly seems, to me at least, to disqualify him from the Olympics on the Olympics' own ethical standards grounds, which it trumpets loudly. Basically the Dutch had every excuse not to pick him, but decided to for one or possibly both of two reasons. Firstly, that sporting decisions trump all else, which would be appalling. Secondly, that they actively ideologically believe that they are doing good by giving an offender this platform to redeem himself. If it's the latter, they've really misread the room. 

On 27/07/2024 at 12:16, Moody Blue Legend said:

Christians no happy one bit about blue bawsack man and the crew.  Making a mockery of Christs last supper.

IMG_2224.jpeg

Easy target. They know Christians will do fuck all. 

See what happened in Paris the last time someone had the cheek to mock Muhammad, for example. 

10 minutes ago, left winger said:

Just watching the BMX finals - it’s fucking mental what they can do on those bikes.

That Jeanjean French guy was great.  Love seeing a crowd go mad for stuff like this.  Like 'yaaaaaassssss.....BMX'

Team epee in fencing is such a great edge-of-your-seat spectacle, especially as the clock runs down at the end and the other team has no option but to go for it.  Don't even need to watch the matches, just watch the last 3 minutes or so.  (See the last two minutes of Poland v China bronze medal in women's team epee yesterday, it's emotional).

Absolutely full of shithousery as a sport as well, in-between stabbing.

Upset that the Olympics have allowed that monster from the Netherlands to compete. I watch a lot of Beach Volleyball and the FIVB are at fault too as he has been competing in the Beach Pro Tour lately.

Enjoyed Pidcock in the cross country cycling a few days ago and the skateboarding was exciting to watch. 

Love the rowing, always really dramatic to watch and we're always really competitive.

Great wee moment between Rebecca Wilde and Katherine Grainger at the end of the interview where Rebecca, as the camera panned away from her, was heard saying how much she'd always looked up to Grainger. Seemed so delighted wiith everything. Exactly what the Olympics is all about right there. Great row!