Excellent Article by Jim Traynor in the Record Today

Bluepeter9

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel a bit sick looking at the one above wi all the tims on it? makes the thread a little, well, unclean!

As for the article, Oleg, indeed, its just common sense, but, I think the way we are reacting to it is because, in the Scottish press, this kind of article, in our favour, is a very rare thing

Thing is they talk about comparing it to singing a song to Beasley would not be racist if you have jim traynors viewpoints where as celtic displayed the worst act of racism in scottish football against mark walters think i might just have shot there high horse there eh lads

While I don't doubt that Traynor has his own, probably dubious, reasons for writing this article at this time, it's still a very good piece of work compared to much of the "sports journalism" we see these days. (tu)

Maybe Traynor is actually on holiday and the office boy wrote it? ;)

Guest Andypendek

Mildly interested to note they are moving their focus of complaint from the racist nature of the song to the 'other verses', which are in truth something I worry about...they are pretty rancid.

Mildly interested to note they are moving their focus of complaint from the racist nature of the song to the 'other verses', which are in truth something I worry about...they are pretty rancid.

I was going to start a thread about this, but a) I thought there were enough threads on this topic and b) I didn't get round to it.

Do the verses predate the chorus, or vice versa. If it's a chorus someone made up, the fans sang, then someone decided to write verses for, it's a completely different issue. I don't know if that's true or not, but I have read (on here admittedly) that someone added the verses later. I had certainly never heard the verses until after it had been sung.

If so, anyone could write racist verses to any song (YNWA?) and claim that the people who sing the non-racist version are being racist.

Does anyone know the origin of this song, and the verses?

A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare, or a decent article about football.

Interesting theory. Despite being incorrect, it has now proved to be proven! It was far better to use Jim Traynor in the experiment than other breeds of monkeys, such as the six Celebes Crested Macaques used by Plymouth University in 2003. Those monkeys produced five pages mostly consisting of the letter S. On the other hand they also smashed the keyboard with a rock as well as pissed and shat on it. In the future, we can hope that these kinds of experiments could instead be made on tabloid sports columnists and similar. They might be more expensive to maintain, but the results will be a bit better.

A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare, or a decent article about football.

Interesting theory. Despite being incorrect, it has now proved to be proven! It was far better to use Jim Traynor in the experiment than other breeds of monkeys, such as the six Celebes Crested Macaques used by Plymouth University in 2003. Those monkeys produced five pages mostly consisting of the letter S. On the other hand they also smashed the keyboard with a rock as well as pissed and shat on it. In the future, we can hope that these kinds of experiments could instead be made on tabloid sports columnists and similar. They might be more expensive to maintain, but the results will be a bit better.

:mutley:

'Mon ra monkeys....

I was going to start a thread about this, but a) I thought there were enough threads on this topic and b) I didn't get round to it.

Do the verses predate the chorus, or vice versa. If it's a chorus someone made up, the fans sang, then someone decided to write verses for, it's a completely different issue. I don't know if that's true or not, but I have read (on here admittedly) that someone added the verses later. I had certainly never heard the verses until after it had been sung.

If so, anyone could write racist verses to any song (YNWA?) and claim that the people who sing the non-racist version are being racist.

If you mean that song on youtube, then we have never actually sang that at any ground. It has a different tune ffs doh

I'm sure I heard the terraced lyrics before the 'dirty blighters' version.

It's not an issue though as the Rangers fans have never sang the latter version.

I do hope the Rangers support can wash their hands of it. It's vile and does us no favours, but the Rangers support in its entirety can't be held responsible for two blokes posting a song they wrote on the internet.

As for Traynor....

Still hate him, I always will, anyone who condones violence against fellow bears will forever be nothing more than a stinking piece of shit IMO.

But credit where its due, an excellent article.

I'm sure I heard the terraced lyrics before the 'dirty blighters' version.

It's not an issue though as the Rangers fans have never sang the latter version.

I do hope the Rangers support can wash their hands of it. It's vile and does us no favours, but the Rangers support in its entirety can't be held responsible for two blokes posting a song they wrote on the internet.

As for Traynor....

Still hate him, I always will, anyone who condones violence against fellow bears will forever be nothing more than a stinking piece of shit IMO.

But credit where its due, an excellent article.

100% agree with this post, and it's what I'm getting at in my post. If we do not and have never sung this song (as posted on YouTube) why are we being held responsible for its lyrics?

As an example, pick any non-offensive song Celtc fans sing. Get two guys to dress up in Celtc scarves and sing a made-up racist version, post it on YouTube and are the Celtc fans singing a racist song? No, the guys who made up the YouTube version are.

The fact is, the Rangers fans were singing The Famine Song before this version came to light. As you rightly say:

It's vile and does us no favours, but the Rangers support in its entirety can't be held responsible for two blokes posting a song they wrote on the internet.

Right, I'm off to write a racist version of YNWA. (tu)