Old Firm fans snub CIS semis

credit crunch is crunching away :pipe:

Old Firm fans snub CIS semis

by Alison McConnell Evening Times

THE Hampden roar could be muted at next week's Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-finals as thousands of tickets for the ties remain unsold.

Just 13,000 tickets have been shifted for Celtic's match against Dundee United on Wednesday, which will be broadcast live on BBC TV.

The non-televised game between Rangers and Falkirk 24 hours earlier has fared better with 20,000 briefs taken up. The financial downturn has been blamed for the poor uptake of tickets although the semi-finals traditionally fail to attract large audiences.

The Scottish Football League have discussed plans for an emergency marketing campaign, but are braced for the lowest-ever semi-final attendances.

There are no plans to offer a pay-at-the-gate facility.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no plans to offer a pay-at-the-gate facility.

That's plain daft.

They'd not know how to do it Manti. It'd be like getting a teenager to use an old style dial telephone. Kick-off delayed for 3 days.

Since this tournament lost its European qualifying status some years ago it has been sliding towards the abyss since.

It will go the way of the old Glasgow Cup - a nuisance tournament that the players and the fans won't miss.

I have to agree....just an inconvenience when you are in Europe...

It may struggle to get a sponsor in the current climate and that would be the end of it....

Since this tournament lost its European qualifying status some years ago it has been sliding towards the abyss since.

It will go the way of the old Glasgow Cup - a nuisance tournament that the players and the fans won't miss.

I have to agree....just an inconvenience when you are in Europe...

It may struggle to get a sponsor in the current climate and that would be the end of it....

Is there any way it could be improved? Although it is quite an incovenience for Rangers without it there would be no treble

The only things keeping it alive are the possibility of an OF match (and that didn't save the Glasgow Cup); and it being the first leg of a Treble.

£22 quid a ticket, stick them up yer arse. I wouldnt pay that to watch Rangers play Falkirk, I am paying less to watch Rangers play AC Milan. Fucking shocking.

To be honest with you, i would rather pay £22 to watch a cup semi final than i would to watch a friendly.

£22 quid a ticket, stick them up yer arse. I wouldnt pay that to watch Rangers play Falkirk, I am paying less to watch Rangers play AC Milan. Fucking shocking.

To be honest with you, i would rather pay £22 to watch a cup semi final than i would to watch a friendly.

Me too.

But we do play in a lot more semi finals than matches against AC Milan.

Me too.

But we do play in a lot more semi finals than matches against AC Milan.

I understand what you are saying, but the semi final match is far more important.

The fans should be out in force edging the team to victory and into the final especially with it not being on T.V

THis is indicative of the reasons why the economy, banking, football and Rangers in particular are all in financial trouble:

1) Lack of foresight - both games would have been sold out if buying a ticket for the semi guaranteed a ticket for the final or in the case of an old firm final - at least a 1 in 2 chance of getting a ticket by being guaranteed to be in the ballot

2) Over priced/valued products - Midweek cup games in a credit crunch should equal some sort of pricing initiative - half-price tickets, family package 2 adults, 2 kids for 20 quid etc

3) Lack of a reasonable/viable response: We are struggling to sel tickets for the match but we won't let any fans in who want to pay at the gate.