BBC news - Manc police releasing 49 faces

HighlandBear

The scotsman article has some interesting points, that I imagine will be conveniently left out when the record reports this, and also which really needs questions asked

As well as using facial recognition software, the force showed footage to almost 1,200 Scottish police officers in an attempt to positively identify people. - Surely if they were Scottish, and Rangers fans, this would have been easy to identify during this? no?

He said the force has already made several positive identifications, but would not divulge how many. "These people are not genuine fans, they are thugs." - why hasnt anything been made of this then? Perhaps they are not Rangers fans so, it wouldnt be deemed newsworthy?

Manchester City Council commissioned a report that found 99 per cent of Rangers fans had no involvement whatsoever in the antisocial behaviour in the city centre, with many rival fans and neutrals gathering together to celebrate the occasion. - "many rival fans and neutrals eh? That has never been mentioned before, apart from by us. Why not?

It's your third point that really interests me. Nobody has mentioned this report, as you say. That we all knew this was the case has been dismissed as us making excuses and trying to dodge the blame. Why has no-one in the media picked up on this? You'd have thought the Scottish media would be looking for something which would at least partially exonerate Scots from blame? No? :rolleyes:

The Scotsman has :ph34r:

Good point :scot:

I kind of meant before now, and also why didn't they make a big deal of it, but you've got me bang to rights! :lol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The scotsman article has some interesting points, that I imagine will be conveniently left out when the record reports this, and also which really needs questions asked

As well as using facial recognition software, the force showed footage to almost 1,200 Scottish police officers in an attempt to positively identify people. - Surely if they were Scottish, and Rangers fans, this would have been easy to identify during this? no?

He said the force has already made several positive identifications, but would not divulge how many. "These people are not genuine fans, they are thugs." - why hasnt anything been made of this then? Perhaps they are not Rangers fans so, it wouldnt be deemed newsworthy?

Manchester City Council commissioned a report that found 99 per cent of Rangers fans had no involvement whatsoever in the antisocial behaviour in the city centre, with many rival fans and neutrals gathering together to celebrate the occasion. - "many rival fans and neutrals eh? That has never been mentioned before, apart from by us. Why not?

It's your third point that really interests me. Nobody has mentioned this report, as you say. That we all knew this was the case has been dismissed as us making excuses and trying to dodge the blame. Why has no-one in the media picked up on this? You'd have thought the Scottish media would be looking for something which would at least partially exonerate Scots from blame? No? :rolleyes:

The Scotsman has :ph34r:

Not really mate, perhaps they missed it and left it in by accident ;)

If it was me, I would have run that as the bloody headline! Something along the lines of "Rival fans and neutrals infiltrate Rangers fans in Manchester"

Instantly brings doubt into the equation

Another thought, 99% "had no involvement?" Even at conservative estimates of 200,000, that still leaves 2000 people rioting. I've seen/read/heard nothing to suggest it was on that sort of scale. If each "pocket" of violence had on average, say, 50 people, you'd need 40 pockets of violence to reach that number.

Another thought, 99% "had no involvement?" Even at conservative estimates of 200,000, that still leaves 2000 people rioting. I've seen/read/heard nothing to suggest it was on that sort of scale. If each "pocket" of violence had on average, say, 50 people, you'd need 40 pockets of violence to reach that number.

Absolutely. Well, another site I am a member of now, has a fantastic list of journos, so, I have sent a nice email across raising some questions

Good Morning,

To Quote an article named as above, taken from the Scotsman (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Revealed-fans-who-shamed-Scotland.4915000.jp)

“Manchester City Council commissioned a report that found 99 per cent of Rangers fans had no involvement whatsoever in the antisocial behaviour in the city centre, with many rival fans and neutrals gathering together to celebrate the occasion."

Why has this not been mentioned, never mind highlighted, in any of the news reports previously? The only place i have seen such sentiments/queries has been on Rangers websites/forums. Surely as members of the Scottish media, and pro-Scots organizations, you will have been privy to this information and had the opportunity to make this public?

For Scotland, some positive notes on this incident should have been highlighted? Rather, what has happened has been a case of "lets blame "x"" rather than looking at the facts available. It would appear that an easy story has taken priority over the best interests of a nations good reputation. Instantly guilty by all, and the notion of any other option has been dismissed, which is frankly disappointing at best.

I find it quite disappointing that the Scottish media, and Scottish institutions are not looking for any possibility that perhaps there was a non-Scots element involved/responsible for this, and, also trying to look out for their own, and defend those who deserve it. There was an ugly incident, should we not be looking to distance ourselves from it?

Kind Regards

John

Absolutely. Well, another site I am a member of now, has a fantastic list of journos, so, I have sent a nice email across raising some questions

Good Morning,

To Quote an article named as above, taken from the Scotsman (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Revealed-fans-who-shamed-Scotland.4915000.jp)

“Manchester City Council commissioned a report that found 99 per cent of Rangers fans had no involvement whatsoever in the antisocial behaviour in the city centre, with many rival fans and neutrals gathering together to celebrate the occasion."

Why has this not been mentioned, never mind highlighted, in any of the news reports previously? The only place i have seen such sentiments/queries has been on Rangers websites/forums. Surely as members of the Scottish media, and pro-Scots organizations, you will have been privy to this information and had the opportunity to make this public?

For Scotland, some positive notes on this incident should have been highlighted? Rather, what has happened has been a case of "lets blame "x"" rather than looking at the facts available. It would appear that an easy story has taken priority over the best interests of a nations good reputation. Instantly guilty by all, and the notion of any other option has been dismissed, which is frankly disappointing at best.

I find it quite disappointing that the Scottish media, and Scottish institutions are not looking for any possibility that perhaps there was a non-Scots element involved/responsible for this, and, also trying to look out for their own, and defend those who deserve it. There was an ugly incident, should we not be looking to distance ourselves from it?

Kind Regards

John

:clap:

Very well worded outlaw. It pains me to see this now, when we have known all along that this was the case. Like it or not, some negative publicity is coming our way today/tonight, if the media can be persuaded (although they shouldn't need to be!) to include this information, it will mitigate some of the negative publicity. (tu)

Edit: However, "another site"? Slut!! :dry:

Good Morning,

Kind Regards

John

Well said that man, I remember during the 80's and some of the 90's, the English would come up for the big games against the Tic, sheep and Euro nights and cause hell and fights all wearing our colours. Surely the Scottish media remember that?

:clap:

Very well worded outlaw. It pains me to see this now, when we have known all along that this was the case. Like it or not, some negative publicity is coming our way today/tonight, if the media can be persuaded (although they shouldn't need to be!) to include this information, it will mitigate some of the negative publicity. (tu)

Edit: However, "another site"? Slut!! :dry:

Yeah, am on 3 others haha, total slut :P

Well, I wrote it as a "concerned Scot" rather than "outraged Rangers fan" haha, I should have put my location as Manchester, that would have been interesting

depressing that all this is being dredged up again and makes you angry seeing those 'fans' disgracing Rangers FC :angry:

I have to agree with you , gives the media , the filth and anyone else another chance to go over all this again and drag our name through the mud.

No doubt this was poorly handled, anyone who left the city centre for the game at around 5, like I and many others did, couldn’t believe what they arrived back to, especially in and around the station. Why no one organising this event this has been held to account for those disgraceful scenes is beyond me.

That being said if they have actual proof these guys are guilty then hell mend them, they shamed our club as unfortunately they were there in our name, I hope they are caught and dealt with.

As an aside I know for a fact the cops coming from Strathclyde were briefed that their would eb fans of English team there to cause trouble, everton fans were specifically named as they has been a lot of trouble at the Everton V Zenit game earlier that season. We had enough of our own idiots there without other clubs adding to them

Said before there were definitely Chelsea casuals down there, there were a group of them talking about the police a lot I walked past three times during the afternoon. Not 100% sure that's what they were obviously, but they were clearly up for a fight and were wearing Chelsea shirts.

Obviously it'd be good to see just where these guys are from etc, and everyone involved in the violence to get locked up like the animals they are though. Hopefully they catch them.

What a load of shit. if they were Chelsea casuals the last thing they would have been doing is wearing shirts and talking about trouble openly where normal scarfers could hear them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Said before there were definitely Chelsea casuals down there, there were a group of them talking about the police a lot I walked past three times during the afternoon. Not 100% sure that's what they were obviously, but they were clearly up for a fight and were wearing Chelsea shirts.

Obviously it'd be good to see just where these guys are from etc, and everyone involved in the violence to get locked up like the animals they are though. Hopefully they catch them.

What a load of shit. if they were Chelsea casuals the last thing they would have been doing is wearing shirts and talking about trouble openly where normal scarfers could hear them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know, I have never once seen a casual with any colours on.

I think you'll find they are talking in generic terms i.e. no-one who tries to kick the head off a policeman could be described as a Rangers fan.

Rather than they have actively identified the perpetrators as anything else.

Manchester City Council commissioned a report that found 99 per cent of Rangers fans had no involvement whatsoever in the antisocial behaviour in the city centre, with many rival fans and neutrals gathering together to celebrate the occasion.

That statement isn't very ambiguous, what's your point caller?