For older Bears

nvager

Doubt we'll see any votes for Kirk then?

NVA didn't Caldow go through his career and never get booked? Amazing if true.

Yup I went on the tour this week and he was never yellow or red carded for Rangers or Scotland.

Doubt we'll see any votes for Kirk then?

NVA didn't Caldow go through his career and never get booked? Amazing if true.

Yup I went on the tour this week and he was never yellow or red carded for Rangers or Scotland.

Cheers.. thought so. For that alone, he gets it. His technique and intelligence must have been well ahead of his time

You're on an 'Oldie' roll tonight nva :D

Caldow was before my time, so i can't say but of the others, in football terms it's a close call between Jardine and Numan for me.

Numan wins, because he has never shat on the bears.

Im not quite old enough for Caldow -but my grandad always said he was the best ever at that position and that is good enough for me

Jardine is tough to ignore - Numan can forget it - he played for us for 5 minutes, was here for the money and I actually dont think he was nearly as good as the hype surrounding him before he signed.

For some younger bears.

Caldow was a gentleman off and on the park. He was extremely fast and could run backwards faster than any of our current fullbacks can run forward. He would not commit to the tackle until he was certain to take the ball. He must have been agonizing to play against. He made good use of the ball too.

Jardine was an equisite player who could play sweeper, fullback, inside forward equally well. He was very calm at all times and fantastically fit. He and Danny McGrain probably formed the best world class full back partnership that Scotland ever had.

I don't really know why but over the years I always - or often - seemed to have our right back as my favourite player.

As a kid it was Sandy Jardine. Later Gary Stevens. Later again Alan Hutton.

I think it was to do with the dynamism that each brought to the role - overlapping runs from one end of the pitch to the other, composure and pace, a momentum they could bring to the team when they got on the ball and saw some space to attack etc.

Who was the best? Hard to say but I'll go with Sandy Jardine.

For me, it's between Caldow and Jardine, and very hard to choose one over the other. Perhaps Caldow shades it because, as you said, he was the "complete picture" - a true gent off the park as well, but Sandy certainly was a sublime talent in his prime.

Right ave pondered over this and I'm pickin Caldow then Stevens. The other 2 I can't stand, Jardine is worse than a jobsworth. And that cunt Numan was injured more than he played and raped the place along with Advocaat. In fact Numan is still making plenty out of his connections with the Club. Numan ! Time to go home. Jardine ! Time to go ! :sherlock:

jardine caldow well before their time...i remember scotland spain about 1960 caldow was against gento .real madrids magic winger .too fast for eric yelled the papers, gento couldnt get near caldow eric out played and out ran him for every ball..be first pick as a full back in my greatest team.

All great fullbacks for Rangers, but who would be the best? Two Scots, an Englishman and a Dutchman. All internationalists. ( I have not mentioned a few others)

Eric Caldow was the best full back I can remember in a Rangers shirt. (tu)

All great fullbacks for Rangers, but who would be the best? Two Scots, an Englishman and a Dutchman. All internationalists. ( I have not mentioned a few others)

Eric Caldow was the best full back I can remember in a Rangers shirt. (tu)

A great Rangers player. All you would want in a full back.

Never saw him play but have sat next to Eric Caldow at a hospitalty function with Tam Forsyth and Alex McDonald. My uncle Andrew who played for the Gers said Caldow was truly world class, could run like the wind and never missed a tackle.

Best i have seen in blue would be Numan.

Caldow was a bit ahead of my time but my uncle Freddy raved about him, but I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned Greig, I know he played most of his time at half back but towards the end he played LB and I thought he was brilliant there.

Much as it now pains me to say, in my time Jardine gets the nod.