Rangers' recruitment process needs to be reassessed

Siam69

Ah the media. When one club misses out on one apparent transfer target a full article on how our transfer policy needs reassessed.

Meanwhile one of our players is sent off for celebrating a goal. The officials come out to defend this and not one word is said about it. Nevermind Griffiths vs Hearts or us, Lennon against us... Big bad Ranjurs and their pure shite transfer dealings and their big bad players inciting riots.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense.

We have more than enough to win this league comfortably and don't need to make any signings during this window.

I'm sure if the right players are available for the right price then we'll make a move, but we shouldn't just be spending money for the sake of it.

Just look at the money we wasted in the lower divisions on complete shite. I for one, don't want that again and I'm happy about the way we're going about our business. If it means we miss out on some of our targets, then so be it.

This is a rather fair piece by Richard Wilson that reflects the reality of the Club's situation. The two signings that we have particularly aimed at have been ambitious for where the club finds itself right now, which will be inevitably difficult at times, with the financial state of football as a whole- competing with English Championship clubs for players will not always mean we land our targets. We have to budget properly, and that seems to be something that is an aim at all levels at the Club, and that will mean reaching for more long term goals and being prepared for short term disappointments at times. I see Rangers heading in the right direction, but it is not going to be easy making our way back up the tables and to future success. If we get one or two signings before the transfer window closes then they will have been the right players to improve the team, but it is also a good thing that the Club is looking to value for money being a key factor.

Bit sensationalist IMO. It needs tweaked not readdressed.

Our transfer policy has served us well this season under Warburton.

The real test (as I keep saying) comes in the summer. If we think we can pull the stunts we've did in this window and expect to build a team to topple Celtic and get back to the Champions League then we are in for a total shock.

Hopefully between King's investment promises and lessons learned in this window we can meet the challenge head on.

MW approaches a club, the club runs to the press to leak it and raise the price, a hack puts the most dramatic spin on it to sell papers.

I am sure that MW is working on assessing who is "of value", what do they give to the team and the costs. He will have a price in his head and appears the type who will not go above his own valuation. No more spending big money of not so good player just because they are flavour of the month. This exactly the type of approach we need.

57 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

To be honest so far in this window we have talked the talk and not walked the walk so got to agree with the journalist. 

Talked wit talk? We haven't said anything about transfers at all other than that we want a couple more? Just because we haven't splashed more than we want to which makes perfect business sense, we haven't "walked the walk"?

Wilson is a fucking drama queen. We have lost out on much better players than Diagouraga and O'Halloran before. The player market in the January transfer window is very limited. Nobody wants to lose a good player mid season, so our options are limited.

We have a squad more than capable of winning the Championship and have 2 players signed on pre-contracts. When we win the Championship and get premoted we will become a much more attractive choice for players to sign for too.

2 hours ago, legalbeagle said:

Times are such that losing out to a player who goes to Leeds is not a shock. Regarding buying players from other Scottish clubs, I would just steer clear, they seem to only do business in the press, pretending to be enraged while trying to Jack the price up. Where we do our business in England, it is relatively private and quick, only the Scottish ones are sagas, and I would rather not give them the money.

Although it is a different level of player, it has always been the same as far as I can remember.

You're spot on mate, I think however unpleasant it sounds we have to recalibrate our expectations in terms of our spending power compared to Championship teams in England and I agree that although it would be nice to have a greater representation of Scots in the team the Scottish market does tend to become inflated when Rangers come calling so apart from Bosmans maybe it is best left alone. 

We shouldn't be doing business in Scotland but we never learn, hopefully Mr Warburton has taken note of this and steers clear in the future. As for down south the championship can outbid and outpay any target we have in fact most of league 1 can probably do so as well and both leagues are more attractive to play in than the Scottish leagues  

The only factor we have in our favour is access to European football and as that is probably a couple of seasons away at least it's a hard sell to come and play football in Scotland. 

47 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Talked wit talk? We haven't said anything about transfers at all other than that we want a couple more? Just because we haven't splashed more than we want to which makes perfect business sense, we haven't "walked the walk"?

Just answered your own question.

He said he wants two and I hope he gets them. I know things might be different behind the scenes or things might happen that we don't know about but I think MW will be disappointed if we don't get anyone. Not to the extent that everyone's going on about (leaving at the end of the season) but it would be good to get the players he wants after the work done so far. 

In terms of value for money and adding value, I don't think MW just means to buy someone for 200,000 and sell for 2m. I believe if we signed O'halloran for 500,000 and he helped us get promotion, contributed next year and was a good influence/character in the changing room, Warburton would see that as adding value.  

3 hours ago, Big Al II said:

I understand it's a sign of the times but I hark back to a time when the first thing we heard about it was the announcement to say we had signed someone.

We were spending other peoples money and piling up debt. Do you want to back to the old smoke and mirrors days of Sir David Murray? Where did that get us?

3 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Journos want MW to re-assess our recruitment because they dont have a fucking clue whats going on and dont like it one bit.

Very true mate!! Maybe Mr Warburton should release a statement saying the press should reassess their own journalism processes.???