Describe Ibrox.

RyanRFC12345

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allow me a moment of nostalgia with this as its a memory that has stayed with me over the years, its a long winded story but drove home to me how lucky i was to be a bear. A great uncle was involved with the Canadian Ice Hockey fraternity and they had two young guys who had been drafted to the NHL, they were brought over to toughen up and play at the Summit ice rink can't remember the team but it was during the early champions leagues nights.

Anyway we parked up down near shield hall and walked from the Renfrew end towards Ibrox, with it being a mid week game it was dark and pretty cold and as we approached you could see the light in the sky and steam rising out of the hill ahead. I remember saying to the young guys as we approached "wait until you see this" as we approached the brow of the hill you started to see Ibrox top to bottom and then its full glory.

Two comments that stuck out amongst many superlatives "wow, out of this world" and "theres nothing like this in Canada" i still see that site every time i think of Ibrox, being a long way away from Scotland these days i cherish these thoughts and memories.

14 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

For the pedants amongst us!

Ibrox: where I want my ashes scattered (after a humanist ceremony!) 

They could put you just under where they fly the Union Flag (tu)

23 hours ago, piperpete said:

When I see it I have a warm glow in my heart knowing that Im at home.

The place that transmits happiness and all my best memories with my dad ,uncle and cousin Tommy,kiss unmasked album , the 78 away strip buying sweets from the Paki  shop , my dad wishing he didn't have to go into the stadium bar for a pint.him telling me to stand by our bus on old firm day as he and my placid uncle waded into the mhanks.when our bus took the wrong exit off the motorway and we couldn't get in to an ibrox without the broomloan against Aberdeen and he would have climbed the fence if it wasn't for me.my own first fight with celtic casuals.becoming my own man walking up the stairs and seeing the pitch without him , but with my own sons against hearts in 2005. Always knowing I'm with pals when anywhere else nobody else would give a fuck about you in any other walk of life., smacking the exit sign on your way out cos you never take coming back for granted because 66 were robbed of the privilege of doing so. But most of all, even after everything I've witnessed at my happy placed , the thing that makes me most proud is the selfie on my Facebook page v hibs last season.me and the magnificent main stand before the game.my face is battle hardened as are the bricks .and the beautiful feeling, that no matter what anybody can throw at me, me and those bricks have grown old together.and I'm not finished.hustory is going to written here once more. Fuckin love you Rangers.i always have, but more importantly, no matter how defeats will leave me sad , I always will.and as I get older, my love for you gets even stronger.

No Surrender

Rab

It's a sight that never fails to lift the heart, that causes a sharp intake of breath, and from that first glimpse holds the eye transfixed and brings that feeling of having arrived home.

It dominates the land on which it stands, majestic and beautiful, its glory matched only by the strength of its presence.

The approach induces excitement, memories and remembrances flood the mind, as thousands are drawn from all directions near and far, cutting across, running round, catching up, all the time getting nearer.

Then you're that close it is now too large to really see, when moments seem like crucial minutes, when each click then clunk of the turnstile is met with two steps forward and then again and again as the clock ticks towards kick off.

Now inside instinct carries you that familiar path on corridors and stairs up into the light and that sight, the red, white and blue, and that song that says it all, "Simply the best!"

amazing. i remember my first game that my dad took me to and when i walked up those stairs and looked out across the stadium it just amazed me. it was a european night and the entire stadium had such an electric atmosphere. i still get that excitement every game i go to. we are truly lucky to have such a beautiful stadium. 

Standing on Edminston Drive looking at the main stand on match day has the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

I can still remember as a kid watching John Lawerence and Scott Symon walking to the stadium on match days.

Climbing the stairs to my seat always brings back memories and I think about the history these stairs hold. 

61 and I still get excited.