The Captaincy

Gilesy

You earn the right to be captain and no one deserves to be Rangers captain more than Lee Wallace. Barton will be a a massive influence on the pitch and in the dressing room but I have no doubts whatsoever that Wallace is the man to lead our great club to 55 and rightly earn his legendary status.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also wondering if MW would possibly hand the Captaincy Barton - My personal view is Wallace should be Captain until he retires - a club fucking legend, stood with us through the shit years, probably lost a quite a bit of money, proved beyond a doubt hes a true Rangers man, love the guy.

Wow.

Wallace epitomises everything that should be as a Rangers captain. He talks well, he leads off the field (when has he been on the front page of a paper?) and he embraces everything the manager and staff ask of him, leading from the front. Always last of the park as well. 

That showed way back in our first game against Alloa away this season when we scored the 4th in the first half he still urged us the team to push on. 

I'm surprised it's even questioned tbh. 

Be a bit like stripping Gough of the captaincy at the time to give it to Gazza just because he has a huge personality. Joey may be loud and very confident but that pales to insignificance compared to Lee who has earned the respect of all his team mates and supporters with his class on and off the field. 

2 hours ago, Gilesy said:

I'm caught in two minds - Wallace has been superb, love the guy. But has he got the voice and the team listening to him on the park? Or would Barton be a better option? Kinda see him being more like a Ferguson type figure in the middle of the park, barking orders, getting the lads amped up if they go flat. Might need a bit more of that next season.

No reason why Joey Barton can't do all those things while Waldo continues to wear the armband and do what he does too.

Win Win situation for us really.

Can't believe any Rangers fan would even question a change of captaincy.........Wallace every single time, no contest.

The guy oozes class, dignity and respect and when he finally hangs his boots up will be remembered as on of our great leaders........and that says a lot for the guy considering this is his first season. That is how superb he had been, complete role model to players, the fans and even the media in the respect he shows when speaking.......we could all take a leaf out of captain marvels book.

Barton is only here short term, Wallace will probably retire with us and go on to back room jobs.

Also, given the way MW talks about the team, it would be a kick in the teeth to Wallace if Barton got it for a 'trial'.

Not even worth a debate.  Lee has been superb on and off the pitch.  Everything a Rangers captain should be. (tu)

Joey will bring something that we badly need -- no doubt.  But Waldo will be Captain for as long as he stays -- which I hope is the rest of his career.

I've been waiting for this question to arise ever since Barton got signed and I don't know why it's even being asked. Lee Wallace is the best man to lead Rangers, both on and off the park. A captain's role is more than geeing up players during a game and because a player shouts and cajoles at his team mates during a game it doesn't necessarily mean they would make a good captain.

Lee Wallace has earned the right to be Rangers captain and he has earned the right to keep it. :pipe:

5 hours ago, Gilesy said:

I couldn't agree more. The loyalty doesn't even come into question. 

Aye, agreed. That was my thinking. 

Been thinking about this since the welcome arrival of Barton.

Do we think he will be given the armband for the upcoming season, or should Wallace retain it?

I'm caught in two minds - Wallace has been superb, love the guy. But has he got the voice and the team listening to him on the park? Or would Barton be a better option? Kinda see him being more like a Ferguson type figure in the middle of the park, barking orders, getting the lads amped up if they go flat. Might need a bit more of that next season. I suppose if the team are playing well as a unit, the armband doesn't mean too much at the end of the day.

WTF was this thread even started for then?

Hope the big man lifts 55, what a story his career will make. I doubt anyone else in world football will have won every division in their countries professional football leagues. Add a Scottish Cup (still fucking gutted, will there ever be a better chance!!) and a League cup to that and he will have won every professional trophy possible in Scotland.

Now that would be the epitome of legend.

Lee Wallace is the captain. But loving the fact we have Joey fuckin Barton as a Ger next season. Honestly, to think we were signing the likes of Ian black and Kevin Kyle a few years ago. Can't wait for next season!!:party: