Whatever happened to the "TBB Liaison Committee"?

Big V

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the confusion is a tactic which is being encouraged by the crown prosecution service. The longer they have us debating the way forward & throwing us off track, the longer they don't have to attempt to prosecute with weak, ill thought legislation.

They know rightly if we changed the words there's fuck all they could do. It would be thrown out just like the latest YCV attempt, making another mockery of the legislation at a time when the SNP want to keep it in place. 

8 hours ago, Big V said:

I was doing some clearing out the other day and I found the paperwork about that committee I set up. It occurred to me that I cannot remember whether or not I ever updated the forum on what happened with the committee we founded to try and sort out the TBB problem.

Well everything was going smoothly, the nominations had happened, the votes were cast, the team was assembled and we were in discussion via telephone meetings.  Everything looked good, we were assigned a representative on the FoCUS police unit who was very supportive of our efforts and very helpful. We even had a meeting at Motherwell Police Station on 19/4/2013 attended physically by two or three of the committee and myself via telephone conference call.

The officers present felt that our aims were reasonable and achievable, and that it was only a matter of addressing it correctly.

So we waited patiently for the follow-up from the officer who had agreed to seek further advice (from the procurator fiscal) on how best to go about it and what we needed to change, etc.

Later the following week I received a phone call explaining that we had no chance at all of making any progress whatsoever, and that the song in question "TBB" would remain banned in any form, irrespective of lyrical changes the song would remain banned.

Shortly afterwards I received a rather formal letter from FoCUS basically telling me we were wasting our time and that there was no way at all we would be able to have this song in any form, end of story.

That's as far as we got, the committee agreed that there wasn't much point in us continuing to exist, so we disbanded.

As I said I cannot remember whether or not I have already informed everyone about this, apologies if I am repeating myself, and if not I apologise for being three years late.

~Vini

Thats interesting V, perhaps you could reply to them asking to be directed the piece of legislation which bans the song.

I was at the meeting and I seem to remember that it went well on the day but after they had discussed things with other parties we received this:

At the meeting last Friday I took on a couple of tasks in relation to the song ‘The Billy Boys’.

It is our understanding that ‘The Billy Boys’ refers to a criminal gang from the Bridgeton area of Glasgow and I can advise that any song sung which relates to criminal activity such as that gang engaged in cannot be given police approval. 

Informal discussions have been undertaken with the Football Liaison Procurator Fiscal for the West of Scotland and he has indicated that there is currently no certainty that singing any particular version of ‘The Billy Boys’ can be guaranteed to avoid criminal charges.  However, consultation with Crown Office Policy Unit will be required to obtain a formal position from Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.     

I have also now spoken with a representative of the SFA and can advise that the SFA have said that this song has been banned by UEFA so discussions would need to be had with them before the song is brought back into the game.

Even with the changed lyrics, individuals could possibly be encouraged to sing the offensive lyrics which as a result could cause complaints and arrests and such complaints could in turn result in sanctions being imposed on the club.  It is therefore essential that the group seek a view from the club on the desirability of this or other songs.

As I advised at the meeting on Friday FoCUS will support the group with guidance on the criminal law, the Lord Advocate’s Guidelines on the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 and the types of behaviour which has resulted in prosecution.

You should be able to contact the SFA on the general email address which is info@scottishsfa.co.uk

I think the meeting was on the 19th April 2013 and after a phone call from them on 23rd the email arrived on 25th.

I got the distinct impression that someone above FoCUS influenced the decision-making.

The modern day usage of  Billy (or Tim)  are considered non offensive terms for Rangers or Celtic supporters.

There are many examples of both terms been used being used with nobody being offended or any laws been broken!! 

The Union Bears regularly sing a song with Billy Boys in the lyrics with no problems. 

The idea that you would get arrested for singing The Billy Boys with a replacement for the "offensive"  lyric is ridiculous. 

To give a silly example if you were to sing up to ours knees in bumble bee's you would get arrested for sectarian singing!!? 

I'd like to see that one in court, a good defence lawyer would have a field day.

6 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I was at the meeting and I seem to remember that it went well on the day but after they had discussed things with other parties we received this:

At the meeting last Friday I took on a couple of tasks in relation to the song ‘The Billy Boys’.

It is our understanding that ‘The Billy Boys’ refers to a criminal gang from the Bridgeton area of Glasgow and I can advise that any song sung which relates to criminal activity such as that gang engaged in cannot be given police approval. 

Informal discussions have been undertaken with the Football Liaison Procurator Fiscal for the West of Scotland and he has indicated that there is currently no certainty that singing any particular version of ‘The Billy Boys’ can be guaranteed to avoid criminal charges.  However, consultation with Crown Office Policy Unit will be required to obtain a formal position from Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.     

I have also now spoken with a representative of the SFA and can advise that the SFA have said that this song has been banned by UEFA so discussions would need to be had with them before the song is brought back into the game.

Even with the changed lyrics, individuals could possibly be encouraged to sing the offensive lyrics which as a result could cause complaints and arrests and such complaints could in turn result in sanctions being imposed on the club.  It is therefore essential that the group seek a view from the club on the desirability of this or other songs.

As I advised at the meeting on Friday FoCUS will support the group with guidance on the criminal law, the Lord Advocate’s Guidelines on the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 and the types of behaviour which has resulted in prosecution.

You should be able to contact the SFA on the general email address which is info@scottishsfa.co.uk

I think the meeting was on the 19th April 2013 and after a phone call from them on 23rd the email arrived on 25th.

I got the distinct impression that someone above FoCUS influenced the decision-making.

They had they're excuse already made with their first statement 'it is our understanding etc.'. 

16 hours ago, BF2 said:

If challenged on it they'd probably say that people would still sing the version with the F word even if the lyrics were changed and the song was unbanned.  But how can they be sure that Killie and Hearts fans aren't singing the F word?  It's hypocritical and unfair that it's only Rangers fans that are banned from using the 'tune' and no one else is.

You cant charge people with what they might do though. You can only charge them based on their actions.

7 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

have UEFA banned it though? i thought that was an urban myth.

17 hours ago, K.A.I said:

That's the SNP and Police Scotland in all their glory right there.

A tune is banned, regardless of words.

Kilmarnock, Hearts and Dundee can sing their own version, with the own words with the exact same tune and they're OK.

More anti-Rangers/Protestant/Unionist/Loyalist descrimination from the very top in this cesspit of a country. Not even surprised.

:lol::lol: 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Why don't you post something constructive rather than laugh at our club being hammered while others get away with it.

It's like you actually enjoy our club being targeted.

A sad little apologist is all you are.

2 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

So what in the quote is untrue. Others sing alternate words, most up to their knees in someones blood, why have they not faced prosecution for offnsive songs? 

We even got accused of singing it against Man United when it was their version being sung. You really don't see it do you? 

2 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

So what in the quote is untrue. Others sing alternate words, most up to their knees in someones blood, why have they not faced prosecution for offnsive songs? 

We even got accused of singing it against Man United when it was their version being sung. You really don't see it do you? 

He, and a few other full time trolls on here are as far removed from us as the filth, snp and police scotland are.

Blue taigs.

31 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

You cant charge people with what they might do though. You can only charge them based on their actions.

It's become very clear that they can do what they want with us and get away with it.

12 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Get yourself to fuck you nationalist prick.

1 minute ago, BF2 said:

It's become very clear that they can do what they want with us and get away with it.

Get yourself to fuck you nationalist prick.

They have promoted a myth which we have bought into. The club doesn't want anything to do with it which doesn't help either, but I would like to see someone being arrested over the possibility they may sing TBB. That wont wash anywhere.

And why did you not challange it legally and take them to court?   

So what they said went and everyone bowed to them? 

What was the point of the committee surly it was to get this song reinstated at all costs as their grounds for banning it was a disgrace in the first place? 

And when did the word Fenian ever become offensive? This is the UK and a Fenian was in the brotherhood in America and they raised funds for the IRA etc to over throw the UK goverment, so nothing much has changed there.

And do these ignorant cunts not know a Protestant can also be a Fenian? So again how is it anti Catholic?

And do each area not sing at the end of the end of the song where they are from? Carlyle Derry boys? Cambuslang Derry boys? 

Its time they were contacted again over this matter  on behalf of the fans and told straight it breaks no laws , in fact get a barrister involved and they can tell him exactly word for word what we need to changed?

I say we change it to WE'RE UP TO OUR KNEES IN NATIONLIST SCUM surrender or you'll die, let them ban that  and try and get a conviction on that one.

I say we take the fight to them and tell them this is the new lyrics and they are not being changed as they break no law.

The police and the goverment need to stop breaking the law here and as for UEFA then we all know why they banned the song.

So it's really all in our own hands  as legally they can't do a fucking thing and at the same time tell those Nationlist cunts the SNP we do not and never will like them 

49 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

What am I missing? 

Police Scotland are out to get Rangers fans - care to tell me why out of the 68 or so that's been arrested since the cup final approx 50 are Rangers fans 

tell me why we have police chiefs telling a working committee that an actual tune is banned and fans risk arrest regardless of whatever words while other teams fans don't have this problem ?

what have I said above that's untrue? 

Really are a slimey wee toad of a man who will always take the police and the SNP's side over that of your fellow fan - which makes you a lot less of a fan in my eyes 

49 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

It's our own fault for not having the baws to sing it, the Club should instruct the controlled choir in the Broomloan to give it laldy and we'll all join in !:sherlock:

See this is the correct response instead of all that paranoid poofy stuff that goes on. Want to sing it - have the balls to get on and do it. 

Me I think it will get the club into trouble so I choose not to sing it but those moaning should either sing up - club be dammed - or move on. 

All this tit for tat stuff is just pish ! 

53 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Why don't you post something constructive rather than laugh at our club being hammered while others get away with it.

It's like you actually enjoy our club being targeted.

A sad little apologist is all you are.

'post something constructive' ?? Like your post above! Oh the irony! 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What am I missing? 

Police Scotland are out to get Rangers fans - care to tell me why out of the 68 or so that's been arrested since the cup final approx 50 are Rangers fans 

tell me why we have police chiefs telling a working committee that an actual tune is banned and fans risk arrest regardless of whatever words while other teams fans don't have this problem ?

what have I said above that's untrue? 

Really are a slimey wee toad of a man who will always take the police and the SNP's side over that of your fellow fan - which makes you a lot less of a fan in my eyes 

We have a weak Cowardly board who let us take the blame for Motherwell and hung Moshni out to dry, Now they are doing the same with the Cup Final.

We are an easy target for the Police and the Sfa.

51 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Kai post just sounded like paranoic nonsense to me - so I laughed.  I love TBB but all this tit for tat nonsense on both sides has led to stupidity all round. 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

'post something constructive' ?? Like your post above! Oh the irony! 

Yes.

You see instead of replying to someone post with shitey wee laughing faces I actually made my point without looking like a sarcastic little apologist.

You continue to laugh at our club/supporters being victimised though, although you would only do it on an internet forum...we all know what you are.