Pedro Caixinha has told his Rangers players they will see the devil

Smile

JS114529519.jpg

PEDRO CAIXINHA has told his Rangers players they will see the devil in him if they go against his Ibrox wishes.

The Portuguese will take charge of the Light Blues for the first time this weekend after agreeing a deal to become the new Gers boss.

Caixinha has spent recent days putting his message across to his players at Auchenhowie as he focuses on the Premiership clash with Hamilton Accies.

The 46-year-old has vowed to set high standards for himself and his squad to live up to and has targeted second spot in the standings and Scottish Cup glory this term.

And Caixinha is determined to get into the minds of his players as he strives for improvement in the coming weeks and months.

He said: “When I was a student I did a sport science degree, and I have my masters’ degree. “I had to write a dissertation and I did it on the psychological side of sports.

“I always loved that side of thing because I do believe that if you change people’s way of thinking you change a lot. If you change their hearts then you don’t change that much.

“I was always curious about what it means to be a coach.

“The people who are the best at what they do is the guy who identifies the things he needs to improve. That’s the one question and I told it to the players.

“I said that they will get everything from me. But I said ‘if you try and so something the opposite way from what I want, you will see the devil in front of you.’ They will see the devil in the human body.

“Their response? There was no response at all. Were they scared? No, not at all. If they are scared they cannot perform at all.

“But it was just a case of me being frontal with them and passing on what I am and what I want from them.”

Caixinha saw Rangers in action for the first time last weekend as Graeme Murty’s side clinched a 1-1 draw in the Old Firm clash at Parkhead.

He has wasted little time in making his presence felt at Ibrox as a new Light Blue era gets underway following Mark Warburton’s controversial exit.

And the former Al-Gharafa boss hopes his strong character will help him rise to the Gers challenges after putting pen-to-paper on a two-and-a-half year deal.

He said: “Being a manager is about managing. Managing illusions. Managing criticism. Managing expectations. Managing the games.

“It’s all about managing. I need to manage.

“Let me tell you something: when I was in Mexico the president of the club was a fantastic guy. One day he came to me in my office. He drew on the board a big pie, like a pizza, and he drew a lot of slices.

“He said ‘regarding training you are 9 out of 10. Preparing the team you are 9 out of 10. Regarding relations with the players you are 8, and so on, ‘but sometimes you need to control your anger, you need to control your character’.

“And we realised from that moment it was important for me to know that and to work on it.

“So I started working with a coach. He was watching the picture from outside, not a psychologist but a coach who tells you how to manage those situations, how to manage with the players, how to manage with the press, how to manage with yourself.

“This is the situation. I’m a guy who looks to be all the time detail-oriented.

“It needs to start with me. If I want other guys to behave in a way in some situation they need to do.

“But it’s about identity. My genes are my genes. My character is my character.

“If I’m not going to be myself it’s not me, so finished. Kaput.”

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Smile said:

JS114529519.jpg

PEDRO CAIXINHA has told his Rangers players they will see the devil in him if they go against his Ibrox wishes.

The Portuguese will take charge of the Light Blues for the first time this weekend after agreeing a deal to become the new Gers boss.

Caixinha has spent recent days putting his message across to his players at Auchenhowie as he focuses on the Premiership clash with Hamilton Accies.

The 46-year-old has vowed to set high standards for himself and his squad to live up to and has targeted second spot in the standings and Scottish Cup glory this term.

And Caixinha is determined to get into the minds of his players as he strives for improvement in the coming weeks and months.

He said: “When I was a student I did a sport science degree, and I have my masters’ degree. “I had to write a dissertation and I did it on the psychological side of sports.

“I always loved that side of thing because I do believe that if you change people’s way of thinking you change a lot. If you change their hearts then you don’t change that much.

“I was always curious about what it means to be a coach.

“The people who are the best at what they do is the guy who identifies the things he needs to improve. That’s the one question and I told it to the players.

“I said that they will get everything from me. But I said ‘if you try and so something the opposite way from what I want, you will see the devil in front of you.’ They will see the devil in the human body.

“Their response? There was no response at all. Were they scared? No, not at all. If they are scared they cannot perform at all.

“But it was just a case of me being frontal with them and passing on what I am and what I want from them.”

Caixinha saw Rangers in action for the first time last weekend as Graeme Murty’s side clinched a 1-1 draw in the Old Firm clash at Parkhead.

He has wasted little time in making his presence felt at Ibrox as a new Light Blue era gets underway following Mark Warburton’s controversial exit.

And the former Al-Gharafa boss hopes his strong character will help him rise to the Gers challenges after putting pen-to-paper on a two-and-a-half year deal.

He said: “Being a manager is about managing. Managing illusions. Managing criticism. Managing expectations. Managing the games.

“It’s all about managing. I need to manage.

“Let me tell you something: when I was in Mexico the president of the club was a fantastic guy. One day he came to me in my office. He drew on the board a big pie, like a pizza, and he drew a lot of slices.

“He said ‘regarding training you are 9 out of 10. Preparing the team you are 9 out of 10. Regarding relations with the players you are 8, and so on, ‘but sometimes you need to control your anger, you need to control your character’.

“And we realised from that moment it was important for me to know that and to work on it.

“So I started working with a coach. He was watching the picture from outside, not a psychologist but a coach who tells you how to manage those situations, how to manage with the players, how to manage with the press, how to manage with yourself.

“This is the situation. I’m a guy who looks to be all the time detail-oriented.

“It needs to start with me. If I want other guys to behave in a way in some situation they need to do.

“But it’s about identity. My genes are my genes. My character is my character.

“If I’m not going to be myself it’s not me, so finished. Kaput.”

The best managers have a ruthless streak in them, sometimes players need a rollicking to get the best out of them. From what he's said the past few days I'm liking his attitude so far although I'm cautious as I loved listening to snake warburton aswell. It starts tomorrow, let's hope he starts as he means to go on. 

I always got the feeling with Warburton that he felt if the players practiced enough, trained enough then things will fall into place... eventually. Almost like it would happen because good things eventually come round to good people. That's why he stuck to his game plan, even if it wasn't working, someday, it'll come good. 

This guy, on the other hand, looks like he's driving the players on. Daring them and pushing them to be better. Identify what they lack and push them to change it up. He appears to be looking for a system that he can employ using the players he has until he can add his own. In the meantime, players will press high up the pitch and not give anyone any peace. We will mix it up when we have the ball and hunt in packs when we don't. 

It's early days and I won't get carried away but I know which approach I want my Rangers to adopt and so far Pedro is ticking all the right boxes. 

28 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He certainly likes to talk. 

So far I'm impressed with what he has to say but the proof is on the pitch, glad he has the rest of the season to settle in before the summer and the rebuild begins. 

Yes, he has to be able to get his points across so we see the players actually look like they know what they are doing. Will take a few transfers windows to really make any telling difference but it will be good in the short term if he can improve Players already at the club.

I would still like us to finish second and see an improvement on our away form.

12 minutes ago, Smile said:

Yes, he has to be able to get his points across so we see the players actually look like they know what they are doing. Will take a few transfers windows to really make any telling difference but it will be good in the short term if he can improve Players already at the club.

I would still like us to finish second and see an improvement on our away form.

I want 2nd and a cup win. 

Then we can think about the title next year. 

37 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

I'm still excited for this guy and what he will bring. 

First challenge tomorrow will be what he does when he sees Hamilton with 11 men behind the ball, and camped in their own box. 

The difference is he expects that. 

MW was quite frankly bemused to even see another team play against us. 

I love his interviews, don't get me wrong. But I'm starting to think he should be a little more secretive regarding his methodologies. If we do get success with this guy I wouldn't want other managers getting better from Pedros tips.

What this does show you is his confidence in his abilities. He seems happy to tell everyone what he does and how he does it, perhaps because he feels personally what he has got within himself can't be replicated.

I don't know.

Excited about this new era. Really hope we can get the most from this squad between now and the window. 

Honestly feel there is a lot more from this group although it will need strengthening.

No better way to wipe the slate clean than a new manager that impresses and talks the right way but lets see the proof tomorrow. I fancy a strong, powerful performance with the players unburdend of the previous regeim and a belief they can match the bheasts from the east

1 hour ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I love his interviews, don't get me wrong. But I'm starting to think he should be a little more secretive regarding his methodologies. If we do get success with this guy I wouldn't want other managers getting better from Pedros tips.

What this does show you is his confidence in his abilities. He seems happy to tell everyone what he does and how he does it, perhaps because he feels personally what he has got within himself can't be replicated.

I don't know.

Agree, it's odd how much detail he is going in to when speaking to the media, almost like he is trying to prove something to them.  It's not so much other managers getting better from what he's saying but the media being able to use a lot of this against him if it takes a bit to get going.

3 hours ago, Ryju84 said:

I'm still excited for this guy and what he will bring. 

First challenge tomorrow will be what he does when he sees Hamilton with 11 men behind the ball, and camped in their own box. 

Yes, I am more excited about this appointment than for years. You need that passion.

Imagine yer boss coming into your office and saying "if you try and so something the opposite way from what I want, you will see the devil in front of you. You will see the devil in the human body".

Lets be serious you'd wait till he was out the room and pish yourself laughing with your colleagues. 

All sounds a bit OTT to me.