Watford v Rangers

Going by this article from the official website https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/thanks-to-my-countrymen/ and this part in particular:

Caixinha wants his side start building momentum ahead of the new SPFL Premiership campaign, although the game against Watford will also give him a chance to experiment with his squad.

He added: “Maybe in the second half I will try different things.

“I will try a different approach, a different formation maybe, so that’s what I’m thinking for the moment.

It will be interesting to see what changes are going to be made in the second half.

6 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

Fod 

Cardoso Alves Wilson

Tav Jack Rossiter Dorans Wallace

Morelos Herrera

Really want us to try that, plays to our strengths more than any other system we have IMO.

Jack and Rossiter too similar and one dimensional to play in the same team imo.

Krancjar has miles more creativity and could flourish in a 5 man midfield.

Closed door game perfect opportunity to get Pena some decent game time, he got less than 15 minutes against Marseille. No point shelling all that money out on him and having him so far behind the curve come the start of the season. Sunday will be more or less the starting eleven against Motherwell, so I doubt he'll see more than 20/30 minutes then.

3 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

Fod 

Cardoso Alves Wilson

Tav Jack Rossiter Dorans Wallace

Morelos Herrera

Really want us to try that, plays to our strengths more than any other system we have IMO.

Rossiter and Jack in the same team is far too defence minded. We already struggle to break down 10 men behind the ball as it is, we need to add creativity not remove it. 

1 minute ago, rfc_watp said:

Jack and Rossiter too similar and one dimensional to play in the same team imo.

Krancjar has miles more creativity and could flourish in a 5 man midfield.

Just now, stewaj3 said:

Rossiter and Jack in the same team is far too defence minded. We already struggle to break down 10 men behind the ball as it is, we need to add creativity not remove it. 

Don't agree, I prefer being solid first and foremost. Dorrans is more creative than anything we've had in years and Tav and Wallace would have more defensive responsibility and we'll all agree their strengths are attacking.

Could easy swap Jack/Rossiter for Kranjcar/Pena anyway depending on the opposition.

9 minutes ago, markem said:

I know these games are an opportunity for experimenting however I can help but feel if it clicked v Marseille go with same for 90 - try and embed and build upon that. 

We don't really have much time left to be experimenting. Do we?

Pedro is mainly happy in the overall play, but he isn't happy about our positioning in the final third where we are not getting better scoring opportunities, so for me it means he is going to experiment in our field positioning in the attacking phases of the game; not so much experimenting with players .

Just now, Frank Harrison said:

Don't agree, I prefer being solid first and foremost. Dorrans is more creative than anything we've had in years and Tav and Wallace would have more defensive responsibility and we'll all agree their strengths are attacking.

Could easy swap Jack/Rossiter for Kranjcar/Pena anyway depending on the opposition.

He said he wanted to try a couple things this game anyway so it's as good a time as ever to experiment with it.

The more formations and tactics we are comfortable using the better tbh. Thank fuck we have moved on from plan B is to do plan A better.

1 minute ago, rfc_watp said:

He said he wanted to try a couple things this game anyway so it's as good a time as ever to experiment with it.

The more formations and tactics we are comfortable using the better tbh. Thank fuck we have moved on from plan B is to do plan A better.

Definitely

Really want to see Herrera/Morelos together, potentially a good partnership there if they're decent judging on their styles.

I can see the logic and i agree that removing some defensive responsibility from tav, wallace may help. I do think we needed to make ourselves difficult to beat after Warburton, Make teams come at us and build from the back, Pedro didn't do that... but then i suppose a back 3 of wilson, hill, kiernan/bates/senderos probably wouldn't inspire anyone with confidence.

Agree that Dorran's is far more creative than most we have had. Kranjcar is up there in terms of creativity, but the legs are gone, so I'm not sure he could be relied on.

I think the problem I have, is that under Warburton there was some early unfulfilled promise of exciting attacking football, which became utter dross by the time he left. I still crave to see us really go at teams and really get the fans on board. Probably not the most realistic thought for us at the moment though i guess.

1 minute ago, stewaj3 said:

I can see the logic and i agree that removing some defensive responsibility from tav, wallace may help. I do think we needed to make ourselves difficult to beat after Warburton, Make teams come at us and build from the back, Pedro didn't do that... but then i suppose a back 3 of wilson, hill, kiernan/bates/senderos probably wouldn't inspire anyone with confidence.

Agree that Dorran's is far more creative than most we have had. Kranjcar is up there in terms of creativity, but the legs are gone, so I'm not sure he could be relied on.

I think the problem I have, is that under Warburton there was some early unfulfilled promise of exciting attacking football, which became utter dross by the time he left. I still crave to see us really go at teams and really get the fans on board. Probably not the most realistic thought for us at the moment though i guess.

Yeh would agree with that. As I said you could easy put Kranjcar/Pena in for one of them in games we're likely to be dominant in.

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Playing Wilson isn't playing to our strengths 

Well the system I think suits our players requires 3 at the back and he's our 3rd best centre back so I disagree.

12 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Pedro is mainly happy in the overall play, but he isn't happy about our positioning in the final third where we are not getting better scoring opportunities, so for me it means he is going to experiment in our field positioning in the attacking phases of the game; not so much experimenting with players .

Sounds fair. 

The reference of formation was what got me thinking. 

I am a firm believer on progression being delivered through repeating what works. We haven't been able to do that at all. 

Your point is taken though. 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Rossiter and Jack in the same midfield is ridiculous. Gives me the fear.

Why? The amount of times we got bullied/overrun in the middle of the park last year, especially away from home was ridiculous. Wouldn't happen with those two. 

They can both play a bit as well, it's not as if all they do is win the ball back.

Yeh would agree with that. As I said you could easy put Kranjcar/Pena in for one of them in games we're likely to be dominant in.

Well the system I think suits our players requires 3 at the back and he's our 3rd best centre back so I disagree.

That fine mate but if your going to play that system you have to have the players to do it and Wilson is a liability. Why take that chance.