Gollum Gone ?

6 hours ago, coopsleftboot said:

Eventually got my reply.  Not unexpected, the beeb closing ranks and blaming the club.   Need to think on my next move.

Dear Mr Coopsleftboot

Coverage of Rangers FC home matches, BBC Scotland

Thank you for getting in touch with the Executive Complaints Unit and raising your complaint about BBC coverage of Rangers FC. I understand you are concerned at the lack of BBC coverage of the club and question why licence fee payers without access to other providers should be denied listening to match commentary when Rangers are involved in a home match. I have taken this as a general complaint as your complaint doesn’t refer to a specific broadcast. This is in line with how the BBC promises to handle complaints as set out in the BBC Complaints Framework.

It is common knowledge that there has been a dispute between the BBC and management at Rangers FC. This follows a widely reported decision by the club to withhold reporting privileges from a BBC reporter, Chris McLaughlin. As a result BBC Scotland has decided not to send journalists to Ibrox, though it does continue to report on Rangers and cover away games. This is not the place for me to pass judgement on the rights and wrongs of the case but I can state as a general principle that the independence of the BBC will always be paramount. No outside group should decide who reports on the BBC’s behalf, as that would risk compromising the BBC’s impartiality. I understand efforts are continuing to try to resolve the issue.

Under these circumstances I do not think that you have provided evidence of a significant breach of BBC standards or policies and cannot agree with your complaint. There is no provision for appeal against this decision within the BBC, and the complaints framework notes that most general complaints will fall outside the remit of the BBC’s regulator, Ofcom. It is nevertheless open to you to ask Ofcom whether they wish to consider this matter. You can find details of how to contact Ofcom using this link https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/how-to-report-a-complaint. Alternatively, you can write to Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA, or telephone either 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Ofcom acknowledges all complaints received, but will not normally write back to individual complainants with the outcome of its considerations.

Yours sincerely,
Jeremy Hayes
Complaints Director

Firstly, I’d focus on the fact that, as things stand, the BBC have withdrawn coverage so the onus is on them to resolve the issue. Rangers are happy to allow the BBC normal press privileges, just not one particular, unacceptable individual. Therefore, as Rangers’ door is open,  BBC Scotland should be the ones offering the olive branch.

Next, I would press them further on what they mean by “efforts are continuing to resolve this issue”. What efforts? How often have they met to resolve this? When? Who acted on behalf of BBC Scotland? Who is representing Rangers? When did they last meet? When is their next meeting scheduled? Has an independent mediator been considered?

Finally, I would challenge them on the idea that they can send ANY journalist ANYWHERE and the other party has no right of veto. Would they send a journalist accused of anti-Semitic views to cover a news story at a synagogue? Or a recognised anti-SNP/pro-Union reporter to cover an independence rally? If the SNP refused such a reporter access to MSPs for interview, would BBC Scotland pretend the rally didn’t happen?

I know that you know this but you need to be detailed, calm, clinical and forensically clear in your questions. He is saying “we’re done, we’re washing our hands of you”. Fine. On that basis, your approach should be along the lines of :

”Thank you for reply which I consider to be very disappointing. I do however appreciate your advice and will now continue this matter through Ofcom. In order that I may prepare a full and detailed picture for them, I would appreciate the following specific information (refer to questions in para 2 above)...”

You are no longer seeking his opinion, you’re now looking for pure data - dates, times, venues, attendees etc.

Hope this helps and keep up the fight!

I understand BBC policy is to ‘serve the public interest’ but wonder how they can be by withdrawing from proper engagement with our club, the biggest in the land. Despite the bullshit response I also doubt they are working very hard at all to resolve the situation. Therefore they seem to be doing anything but serving the public interest - surely that is a clear breach of policy ? 

6 hours ago, coopsleftboot said:

Eventually got my reply.  Not unexpected, the beeb closing ranks and blaming the club.   Need to think on my next move.

Dear Mr Coopsleftboot

Coverage of Rangers FC home matches, BBC Scotland

Thank you for getting in touch with the Executive Complaints Unit and raising your complaint about BBC coverage of Rangers FC. I understand you are concerned at the lack of BBC coverage of the club and question why licence fee payers without access to other providers should be denied listening to match commentary when Rangers are involved in a home match. I have taken this as a general complaint as your complaint doesn’t refer to a specific broadcast. This is in line with how the BBC promises to handle complaints as set out in the BBC Complaints Framework.

It is common knowledge that there has been a dispute between the BBC and management at Rangers FC. This follows a widely reported decision by the club to withhold reporting privileges from a BBC reporter, Chris McLaughlin. As a result BBC Scotland has decided not to send journalists to Ibrox, though it does continue to report on Rangers and cover away games. This is not the place for me to pass judgement on the rights and wrongs of the case but I can state as a general principle that the independence of the BBC will always be paramount. No outside group should decide who reports on the BBC’s behalf, as that would risk compromising the BBC’s impartiality. I understand efforts are continuing to try to resolve the issue.

Under these circumstances I do not think that you have provided evidence of a significant breach of BBC standards or policies and cannot agree with your complaint. There is no provision for appeal against this decision within the BBC, and the complaints framework notes that most general complaints will fall outside the remit of the BBC’s regulator, Ofcom. It is nevertheless open to you to ask Ofcom whether they wish to consider this matter. You can find details of how to contact Ofcom using this link https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/how-to-report-a-complaint. Alternatively, you can write to Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA, or telephone either 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Ofcom acknowledges all complaints received, but will not normally write back to individual complainants with the outcome of its considerations.

Yours sincerely,
Jeremy Hayes
Complaints Director

I’d just ask them why as a licence payer you are being denied a service that every other supporter in Scotland is getting, They have a duty to provide this service to all, Id accuse them of discrimination, I’d ask them why the journalists was never questioned about a biased report that had had nothing to do with football but only to bring disrepute on the fans of the club and cause trouble for the club, I would remind them that this was not the first instance of this journalist’s behaviour, I would remind them of the shameful pictures of Ally McCoist falling from Ibrox, I would ask them if they can see a pattern here.

I would also ask this question, if this journalist was no longer an employee of the BBC , for whatever reason, what explanation could they give for not reporting our games

He is still an employee but has nothing to do with live reports, so what’s the point in returning his press card, do they want the club to apologise?

It will be interesting if Leicester City ban the BBC's Dan Roan after his comments following the helicopter crash,will the BBC then refuse to send any reporters to Leicester games?

Precedent set with Rangers given they don't send any BBC reporters in Scotland or the rest of the UK to Ibrox.

15 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

It will be interesting if Leicester City ban the BBC's Dan Roan after his comments following the helicopter crash,will the BBC then refuse to send any reporters to Leicester games?

Precedent set with Rangers given they don't send any BBC reporters in Scotland or the rest of the UK to Ibrox.

What did he say mate ??

9 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

What did he say mate ??

Roan was overheard saying: "The mistress who died in the crash… otherwise known as a member of staff…i.e. mistress.

“If you were a billionaire, it’s relatively expected, so we shouldn’t judge.

26 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

What did this guy Roan say mate? Must have missed this in the news.

Just now, sandyinroyalblue said:

Roan was overheard saying: "The mistress who died in the crash… otherwise known as a member of staff…i.e. mistress.

“If you were a billionaire, it’s relatively expected, so we shouldn’t judge.

Ffs I never heard about that. It will certainly be interesting to see what Leicester do about that.

4 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Video of the cunt going about on Twitter still. Gives a dig about his name being hard to pronounce then says the thing about the mistress

This is all while he's standing next to the memorial for the guy

Mia Noi or second wife is cultural and almost expected, especially among wealthy businessmen in Thailand so as well as being disrespectful Roan has no knowledge of Thai culture

25 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Main difference is the bbc will probably sack that guy, whereas gollum gets a promotion 

Be stunned if he's sacked by the BBC. He "apologised" on Twitter after realising he'd fucked it and had been caught on video

Nothing will be said or done, it'll just get swept under the carpet, hence why there's still a ton of people who haven't even heard about it! 

journalists don't get sacked especially by other journalists, a cottage industry, they protect the job even though they hate one another, fuck everybody else right enough the whore bastards. journalism has always been used to lie to and control the masses but never more so than now, they've all got different causes and use it to whatever their agenda is. Scottish mheejah unfortunately has been taken over by the dark side and those in it that don't agree with them sit there in shitpot silence. 

2 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

journalists don't get sacked especially by other journalists, a cottage industry, they protect the job even though they hate one another, fuck everybody else right enough the whore bastards. journalism has always been used to lie to and control the masses but never more so than now, they've all got different causes and use it to whatever their agenda is. Scottish mheejah unfortunately has been taken over by the dark side and those in it that don't agree with them sit there in shitpot silence. 

They have indeed mate. 

I think you should continue your complaint both with the BBC and Ofcom. Your unlikely to get far complaining to the beeb though as they are efficiently judging themselves.

BBC Scotland have decided not to sent reporters to Ibrox. There is no ongoing dispute. It's entirely the BBC decision not to cover the games.

In the reply it states that no outside group should decide who reports for the BBC. Rangers are not trying to decide who reports for the BBC. It's entirely up to the BBC who they send to cover the games. They have a number of reports to choose from. They can also sent gollum to cover the games if they wish, thats not a problem, although he'll have to pay for a ticket like anyone else.

It's not only license fee Rangers supporters but fans of the opposition teams playing at Ibrox that miss out on the coverage. (Effectively over 95% of football supporters in Scotland).

This definitely needs looked at by Ofcom and i hope you keep up your good work.