james mcclean calling himself a fenian..

Most clubs I have seen who choose to have poppies on their shirts have them embroidered on.  I assume that this is arranged in advance as a special set provided by their shirt manufacturer.  So as part of the set, there is likely to be a Stoke shirt with this idiot’s name and team number on it.  If he chooses to refuse to wear it that is his right in a free country.  However, since he doesn’t want it, I don’t see why Stoke should not have the right to auction his ‘special’ shirt to the public with the proceeds going to the Poppy fund.

3 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Most clubs I have seen who choose to have poppies on their shirts have them embroidered on.  I assume that this is arranged in advance as a special set provided by their shirt manufacturer.  So as part of the set, there is likely to be a Stoke shirt with this idiot’s name and team number on it.  If he chooses to refuse to wear it that is his right in a free country.  However, since he doesn’t want it, I don’t see why Stoke should not have the right to auction his ‘special’ shirt to the public with the proceeds going to the Poppy fund.

He’s never worn a poppy so I doubt Stoke would even have a shirt made up for him to begin with tbh. 

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He’s never worn a poppy so I doubt Stoke would even have a shirt made up for him to begin with tbh. 

You might be right but I think they would be manufactured as a job lot for all the players in their extended squad.   Is it not more bother than its worth to start singling out particular players from the manufacture run.

Whatever, it might be interesting if the question was asked of Stoke.

27 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Matic refused to wear one as well 

I just read his reasons for not wearing one - and he literally makes no sense whatsoever. he seems to have completely misunderstood the whole concept of wearing a poppy. 

21 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

The difference is that Matic was very respectful in his explanation and insulted no one with the personal choice he made. It wasn't done to offend but a personal decision. The difference in tone of the statements is marked. 

In his statement, Matic said: "I recognise fully why people wear poppies, I totally respect everyone's right to do so and I have total sympathy for anyone who has lost loved ones due to conflict.

"However, for me it is only a reminder of an attack that I felt personally as a young, frightened 12-year old boy living in Vrelo, as my country was devastated by the bombing of Serbia in 1999.

"Whilst I have done so previously, on reflection I now don't feel it is right for me to wear the poppy on my shirt.

"I do not want to undermine the poppy as a symbol of pride within Britain or offend anyone, however, we are all a product of our own upbringing and this is a personal choice for the reasons outlined.

"I hope everyone understands my reasons now that I have explained them and I can concentrate on helping the team in the games that lie ahead."

Matic didn't do it to make any sort of political statement it was a very personal decision which is in stark contrast to the self confessed fenian.

26 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Saying it reminds him of when the NATO led forces bombed his village when he was 12.

Not sure how it reminded him as it wasn't a big Poppy or people with Poppys on flying a plane. 

But said he defends the rites of people to wear them. 

Also says that FA and Stoke are looking into the scum mcleans comments about his own support. 

Fuck off back over the water and play for cliftonville or someone then ya cunt. 

3 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

The difference is that Matic was very respectful in his explanation and insulted no one with the personal choice he made. It wasn't done to offend but a personal decision. The difference in tone of the statements is marked. 

In his statement, Matic said: "I recognise fully why people wear poppies, I totally respect everyone's right to do so and I have total sympathy for anyone who has lost loved ones due to conflict.

"However, for me it is only a reminder of an attack that I felt personally as a young, frightened 12-year old boy living in Vrelo, as my country was devastated by the bombing of Serbia in 1999.

"Whilst I have done so previously, on reflection I now don't feel it is right for me to wear the poppy on my shirt.

"I do not want to undermine the poppy as a symbol of pride within Britain or offend anyone, however, we are all a product of our own upbringing and this is a personal choice for the reasons outlined.

"I hope everyone understands my reasons now that I have explained them and I can concentrate on helping the team in the games that lie ahead."

Matic didn't do it to make any sort of political statement it was a very personal decision which is in stark contrast to the self confessed fenian.

I’m absolutely no fan of McClean but he made a statement about a week ago saying that he wouldn’t be wearing one that was relatively respectful and not that dissimailer to Matic’s one and he still got abuse that Matic didn’t.

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I’m absolutely no fan of McClean but he made a statement about a week ago saying that he wouldn’t be wearing one that was relatively respectful and not that dissimailer to Matic’s one and he still got abuse that Matic didn’t.

Matic did get abuse though. That was the point of his statement today. He didn't make a pre-emptive statement just a personal choice. The respectful statement came after the abuse he received.

Don’t agree with them but guess it is a player’s right not to wear a poppy.  However, not all clubs choose to put poppies on their shirts.  In such circumstances, it would make sense that there is an equivalent right for an individual player to request that a poppy be added to his shirt.   Have never heard the reverse situation mentioned in the MSM though.

6 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

You did read what he wrote on his instagram? Gross misconduct would be a start. He just called a large section of his clubs support Cavemen and c##ts. I'm sure there will be stipulations in hus contract about his conduct. He's making a political statement at a football match, I'm sure others have been sanctioned for it.

Alternatively get him playing at the lowest level possible, send him on loan to Aldershot maybe? I'm sure he'd get a warm welcone there!

His post is being investigated by the FA so, hopefully there'll be further repercussions. I'm hoping he'll have played his last game for Stoke.

To be fair, I just read the f****n bit, having read that fully now, still don't think those words are strong enough legally to warrant the sack. 

The guy is a Scumbag but not sure he can be sacked for that.