Steven Davis

Prso's headband

3 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Think him and Defoe have struggled to get up to speed so far but Defoe has the big name behind him and the goals he's got (albeit a penalty/tap in) means he'll get more time to get up to fitness before the critsicim comes

Davis being not match sharp shows up more in the centre mid, he slows the game down & gives it away alot more than I remember him doing in the past

Would be playing him as a sub for a while, we've got 3 players in Arfield, Jack & McCrorie who deserve to start infront of him 

For me, some say and perhaps I agree, Steven Davis, at 33, is not doing that well so far and I seriously hope he will come on when fitness comes up to expectation. However it has to be said that Jermain Defoe is 36 and, to my mind, is showing rather better form witness today, apart from his obvious sharpness and awareness, he was tracking back and defending - he certainly went a long way to convincing me about his fitness - perhaps I am wrong !

The conundrum of how to play him, with or without Alfie remains !

4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

That would be my 3 as well, didn't particularly rate McCrorie earlier in the season as I felt he lacked vision and passing ability, now beginning to think I was being a tad harsh on the boy even though I did say I liked him and thought he'd improve as he learned his new role in the team and he definitely offers us dig in the middle.

Jack has been thriving in his more advanced role but isn't bad at reading the game and dropping off and cutting out danger, he's been excellent this season.

Arfield is another player who I wasn't convinced with and tbh he is hot and cold but is becoming an important player, gets stuck in and always offers support to the strikers. The Livi game I thought he was terrible first half but 2nd half was good, he's going to need to keep up his good form for us to win the league.

Agree with that. 

Definitely see McCrorie as more of the holding midfield and screening the back for winning the ball back. Allows Jack and arfield to get forward more as Jack likes a shot from outside the box whilst arfield is more of a runner into the box. All seem to compliment each other and all have some dig about them and track back but each have their own little skill set and game to them at the same time. Best midfield 3 we have had in a long time. 

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

I'm not making any excuses for him mate, he was miles off it today, but the only way to get him sharp is by playing him. We say that the best time to try new systems or players is at home to the likes of St Mirren, we do it then we get cunts greeting about it:lol:

Canny please all of the people all of the time.

Every player has an off day especially when not match fit.

It's mental in here at times. We haven't won anything for years and when the manager changes things and we win he still gets slated.  Gets slated when he doesn't change things too. Defies logic.

3 minutes ago, MrMckee said:

Agree with that. 

Definitely see McCrorie as more of the holding midfield and screening the back for winning the ball back. Allows Jack and arfield to get forward more as Jack likes a shot from outside the box whilst arfield is more of a runner into the box. All seem to compliment each other and all have some dig about them and track back but each have their own little skill set and game to them at the same time. Best midfield 3 we have had in a long time. 

Yes mate, can't argue with any of that tbh. It's up to Davis to work his arse off and earn his place in the team but at the moment those 3 deserve to play in our best 11.

2 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

It's mental in here at times. We haven't won anything for years and when the manager changes things and we win he still gets slated.  Gets slated when he doesn't change things too. Defies logic.

I agree mate. Let Stevie G get on with his job....... it's all about opinions but there are far too many wannabe managers on RM in my humble opinion.

We either trust the manager or we don't. I for one trust him 100%.

24 minutes ago, MrMckee said:

Jack mcrorie arfield for me in the middle. All capable of winning the ball and passing/running forward. Davis slows the game down. Will give him the benefit of the doubt at the second but no way does he start on Wednesday against the sheep over those 3. If a player needs a rest at an easy home game then stick him in but he needs to show a lot more to get in the starting 11 over those 3. 

I agree mate he should be nowhere near the midfield on Wednesday we need to win the midfield battle and the three players you named as starters can and hopefully will do that.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Difference is that Kents game fits in with our best style, he just had to find his feet, davis' game doesnt suit us as he's more comfortable in a slow paced game, we dont do that or better still our best performances come from a dynamic pressing midfield that harass and pressure the opponents 

Davis hasnt got the legs for that at all, the killie game showed this

Our style is what the gaffer makes. If he now wants different, that's just how it is. 

The best footballers also have brains and Davis is not here because he is a whippet.

Davis and Defoe are not here at great expense to sit on their erse.

5 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I understand what you are saying but, sadly, we ended up winning only 4-0 today which is completely unacceptable ! :whistle:

21 minutes ago, Algeran said:

For me, some say and perhaps I agree, Steven Davis, at 33, is not doing that well so far and I seriously hope he will come on when fitness comes up to expectation. However it has to be said that Jermain Defoe is 36 and, to my mind, is showing rather better form witness today, apart from his obvious sharpness and awareness, he was tracking back and defending - he certainly went a long way to convincing me about his fitness - perhaps I am wrong !

The conundrum of how to play him, with or without Alfie remains !

Age matters to a certain extent but it's not the first thing I'm worried about tbh, id be worried even if we signed a 25 year old who had barley played in 2 year

Its the match sharpness that's the killer, it'll come more naturally to Defoe being a finisher but for Davis, it's going to take alot of time to get up to the speed of a proper match 

3 hours ago, STRUTH82 said:

I really hope he turns it around, but at this point a 6 month loan looks to have been a good choice, otherwise we maybe in a panic.

Is that what his loan contract is, I thought it was for longer ?

16 minutes ago, pcbear said:

That is correct but a starting berth must be earned, I thought Defoe was  closer to sharpness than Davis.

Not how it works. See Worrall and Flanagan!

Then the other side of the coin, Katic!

It's what the gaffer says/wants. He wants to change it, then change it will be and no earning about it.

32 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I think what a lot of people expect are what Davis was before.... but he's not that type of player now.

He's not match fit so I think he'll improve.

This. You can see glimpses of his quality and he'll get stronger by the end of the season, was similar in his loan spell 1st time round, hadn't played a lot, needed a bit of sharpness, his quality is definitely needed.

Also think the reaction after a couple of games is ridiculous. 

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Not how it works. See Worrall and Flanagan!

Then the other side of the coin, Katic!

It's what the gaffer says/wants. He wants to change it, then change it will be and no earning about it.

Katic is back in now having earned it, Worrall is in due to Goldsons injury and Killie apart has done ok,Flannagan is bit part, although you could argue  that it is Katic that has benefitted from Goldsons absence but imo when Goldsons fit again we must revert back to the solid cb partnership of the early season.

He’s never been a hard tackler either but a can’t stand players, especially midfielders shirking out of tackles. Done it at least 3 times today to the point where Arfield was coming back from the tip of the diamond to make tackles

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

You see a different game than most on here Smile. You don't rate Morelos ( or always have a wee dig at least ) and thought Davis played well today. What did he do? To each their own I guess....

No, I do rate him and think he's improved over last season where I thought he was pretty ordinary but a good hard worker, but the system we play to suit Morelos does not get us enough goals. 

We will have no problem with Davis going forward as he's real quality as is Defoe.

22 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Katic is back in now having earned it, Worrall is in due to Goldsons injury and Killie apart has done ok,Flannagan is bit part, although you could argue  that it is Katic that has benefitted from Goldsons absence but imo when Goldsons fit again we must revert back to the solid cb partnership of the early season.

Katic was dropped when playing very well.

Flanagin was straight into the team when he came and kept in it despite being utter pish.