Morelos

tannerall

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

Sad to see some posters almost wishing Defoe to fail its a team game this year, Morelos will play if he does well when selected the same as Defoe.

Why is it when people have a difference of opinion on someone they don’t rate people hit out with the wanting them to fail patter?

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Why is it when people have a difference of opinion on someone they don’t rate people hit out with the wanting them to fail patter?

World is full of strange people, even us, we just don't seem to have as many  but we still have a few. 

3 minutes ago, moody blue 1972 said:

thing is, SG can say we've got a cut off point when any offers will be accepted but if a 15m+ bid comes in on the 2nd Sep we'll take it and hope to get through unscathed till January, perhaps picking up a free agent to cover this period.

Agree - wee bit concerned this very scenario will unfold and it will leave us light and I’d imagine a manager not to pleased. 

No different a challenge from most other clubs tbf, just hope we have a decent contingency plan. 

52 minutes ago, moody blue 1972 said:

thing is, SG can say we've got a cut off point when any offers will be accepted but if a 15m+ bid comes in on the 2nd Sep we'll take it and hope to get through unscathed till January, perhaps picking up a free agent to cover this period.

I think like us all he wants players in early so he has time to work wth them. 

2 hours ago, Sub Genius said:

For the EPL, but any move to Italy, Germany, Spain, etc could still occur up until our window closes on the 2nd.

Yes - you specifically referred to EPL sides & I replied specifically about their window.

10 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Yes - you specifically referred to EPL sides & I replied specifically about their window.

Fair enough.

I was using the EPL sides he’s been linked with as the most pertinent examples because we know that’s his preferred destination, but if the likes of Milan, Frankfurt or Betis make a move - three European sides he’s also been linked with - there’s still a good chance he’ll accept, presuming the personal terms he’s being offered are agreeable.

I don’t think we can fully relax where Morelos is concerned until 2nd Sept.

If he’s still here after that, great.

9 minutes ago, Sub Genius said:

Fair enough.

I was using the EPL sides he’s been linked with as the most pertinent examples because we know that’s his preferred destination, but if the likes of Milan, Frankfurt or Betis make a move - three European sides he’s also been linked with - there’s still a good chance he’ll accept, presuming the personal terms he’s being offered are agreeable.

I don’t think we can fully relax where Morelos is concerned until 2nd Sept.

If he’s still here after that, great.

No, I agree we can’t for the reasons you state.

Going back to your original suggestion about a mid-level EPL side making a bid, that may not be the end of the world for us -  at least it would give us 3 weeks or more to spend some of the cash on a replacement.

Worst case is we lose him to Europe or elsewhere very late in our window.

7 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Hope Alfie stays but if he goes needs to be soon.

Shankland has a hat-trick on his league debut 53 minutes in. Still think we shoulda taken a punt on him as an option.

Would have been a cheap option and if he didnt work out would have not cost us a lot at all.

11 minutes ago, writingranger said:

I'm not clear whether we actually only have two strikers or whether stewart is one or not. There are goals in the team but I'm not sure about striking options/leading the line.

Stewart plays  up front 

happy to clear ear that up for you 

59 minutes ago, HG5 said:

No, I agree we can’t for the reasons you state.

Going back to your original suggestion about a mid-level EPL side making a bid, that may not be the end of the world for us -  at least it would give us 3 weeks or more to spend some of the cash on a replacement.

Worst case is we lose him to Europe or elsewhere very late in our window.

Yup, agree with that.

If an EPL sides comes in with a circa £14-15m bid in the next week, I think he’ll be off, partly because I think we’ll be confident of securing a replacement before Sept 2nd (I’m sure we have at least two or three options on our radar, Roofe being one), but if it drags on then someone like Milan offer a similar amount in the last week of August, I hope we have the resolve to turn it down.

1 minute ago, Sub Genius said:

Yup, agree with that.

If an EPL sides comes in with a circa £14-15m bid in the next week, I think he’ll be off, partly because I think we’ll be confident of securing a replacement before Sept 2nd (I’m sure we have at least two or three options on our radar, Roofe being one), but if it drags on then someone like Milan offer a similar amount in the last week of August, I hope we have the resolve to turn it down.

I’ve nothing to base this on other than his winning attitude but I think if players were sold under Gerrard at the last minute he’d rip the board apart in press conferences for the rest of his time with us. He’s in control, the board need him more than he needs the job as it cushions all their fuck ups. 

4 hours ago, moody blue 1972 said:

If that scenario occurs then we can forget any chance of the league this season.    We already require another striker just now.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Don’t get the hate for Defoe, he’s been outstanding every game he’s played, gels well with the midfield. Agreed Morelos is more of an attacker but fuck me did he cost us last season with his red cards. 

Defoe was anything but outstanding on Thursday.    A poor performance by the whole team.