Morelos is our best striker since...

BEE

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

People mentioning Prso. I do remember the last time we beat Porto at Ibrox he, imo, literally won us that game on his own. He didn't just do it that night, for a player with so many injury issues he seemed to drag us through so many games!

He literally didnt.

I think Mols and Prso suffer from the fog of the passage of time. Mols several times destroyed CL finalist level defences before his injury. He was on another planet for a few months. Morelos isnt at that level yet. That Mols is a good deal ahead.

Prso.  

Also believe Mols was the most naturally gifted striker we have ever had (in my lifetime). If not for injury he would have been up there with Laudrup and Gazza.

Regardless of natural talent, Super Ally still reigns supreme overall for doing what strikers are meant to do: score big goals in big moments and do it consistently.

Ally remains our best ever striker - won the lot - but El Buff could be up there with him in a few years. 

They are different styles tho' Ally played best in 442 and El Buff is a much more physical player and suited to the lone role. 

Michael Mols..

Also need to remember the players Mols had around him when he was at his best.

I think people underestimate just what Morelos brings.

Some games, especially in Europe he’s taking on defences himself without a team mate anywhere near him and some of the team mates he has has had have been average at best

He’s our talisman.

Fucksake, people actually forgetting about Mols? 

Morelos is starting to get a wee bit over-rated the way things are going. He still hasn't won anything or scored against celtic for fuck sake, I don't think he's even scored for his country yet.

Let's show a little bit of respect to the strikers whom have been before him, he's extremely talented and is a very good striker at this point, but the goal-scoring genius thread? Best since McCoist?

I'd say it's sensible to say he's the best since Prso, not forgetting that Prso was in decline while with us and Morelos is only getting better. So there is a possibility he'd eclipse Prso, but will he do it when still here is the question.

34 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Mols and Prso did it at the top table, CL and/or international. Morelos needs to do that before he can be seen as that level, brilliant as he is. 

Prso and Mols were technically better players and I still think both were better all round players as things stand. Morelos can get there though. We saw Prso and Mols at their mature peak.

Loved Prso but his lack of pace meant he’d never be top class, Fredo has the potential to go right to the top.

Agree he’s gone up a level and surpassed Jelavic. He’s absolutely wiped out the “doesn’t do it in big games” narrative this season. The best players lift up their team, as great as Defoe is we need Alfredo on the park. This team is better than the sum of its parts with him, goes without saying that we have to fend off any interest in January. 

19 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

IF he can keep up the form he's had for the rest of the season,  i think he will be well above Mols, Prso, and Hately. I just hope he keeps it going.

Sorry mate, but I find that laughable, it's your opinion though so fair dos.

If I were you I'd have a wee look at the goals/control/skill of Mols again.

2 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Loved Prso but his lack of pace meant he’d never be top class, Fredo has the potential to go right to the top.

Pace is an added string to your bow. A classy player can learn to play without it. Prso played to his strengths, same way Alfredo did. Alfredo has his weaknesses too. Sometimes his passing leaves a lot to be desired, but it won't stop him going to the highest level. Same way a lack of pace didnt stop Prso from playing in CL finals and and later stage international tournaments.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Pace is an added string to your bow. A classy player can learn to play without it. Prso played to his strengths, same way Alfredo did. Alfredo has his weaknesses too. Sometimes his passing leaves a lot to be desired, but it won't stop him going to the highest level. Same way a lack of pace didnt stop Prso from playing in CL finals and and later stage international tournaments.

Wasn't Prso 30 when he joined us? Morelos is currently 23. Given the higher demands for fitness nowadays, I doubt it's very fair to compare both for pace. 

I would also say Morelos is lacking pace, but he makes up for it with sheer body strength and low centre of gravity.

Archived