Defoe to be signed permanently

Marky.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Brainer.  He'll get 20+ this year as a back up striker, and I wouldnt bet against him doing it again next year. At his age he's happy to be bit part. Seems a big influence off the pitch, been brilliant for alfredo and sounding like he's been brilliant for his nephews. Plus comes across as a really nice guy. 

Any young striker coming through couldn't have a better guy to learn from. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Depending on the bids that come in, defoe being here after the summer might convince morelos to give it another season, you can see the difference in morelos since defoe joined

Doubt it, would be superb though if it did happen.

Only concern is what wages he is on. If. he takes a 60% cut (no Bournemouth subsidy) that’s 40k a week.

Given he will be 38 next season that’s a heck of a lot of money for a back up striker.

I’d prefer us to continue down the route of gambling on a few more young signings like Morelos which you can really build the club around for the next 5 years and potentially recoup a massive profit.

7 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Only concern is what wages he is on. If. he takes a 60% cut (no Bournemouth subsidy) that’s 40k a week.

Given he will be 38 next season that’s a heck of a lot of money for a back up striker.

I’d prefer us to continue down the route of gambling on a few more young signings like Morelos which you can really build the club around for the next 5 years and potentially recoup a massive profit.

I doubt he’s making that much for us. There’s no way that money is a determining factor at his age and I think it’s highly unlikely that we are paying him £40,000 a week either.

17 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Why are concerned?  If the club see this as a good move for the future then don’t worry. This is us moving forward and JD is probably becoming a coach/manager at some point. He’s been good for Alfredo and he will be good for other young players that we bring in. 

24 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

You’re aff yer but if you think near 40 year old Defoe is gonnae be in £40k a week. 😂😂

50 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

He’s not here for the money and nor does he need the money . I’d be surprised if he was getting £20k per week.

2 hours ago, OrangeRab said:

So you have no idea what his wages are but it’s too much and we should just lump everything on a young striker. 
You do know that for every Morelos you uncover you will have loads of failures as well, so you would be happy to not sign an experienced forward and most likely lose our Morelos in the summer and you want to go with 2 brand new forwards next season with our fingers crossed and a prayer on the wing. 

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So you have no idea what his wages are but it’s too much and we should just lump everything on a young striker. 
You do know that for every Morelos you uncover you will have loads of failures as well, so you would be happy to not sign an experienced forward and most likely lose our Morelos in the summer and you want to go with 2 brand new forwards next season with our fingers crossed and a prayer on the wing. 

No. Notice the word “if”. I think whether it’s a good deal or not depends on his wages. I’d be surprised if he has taken a pay cut to less than 20k a week in his last earnings season. Knowing he could have one last big hurrah on 50-100k in China.

If it is 20k then great. His experience will be valuable and at 38 he probably will still be good enough for one more season.

If it’s 40k I’d say I’d rather take the money and have a punt on a few more strikers that might pay off or use those wages to attract someone of a higher calibrate to replace Morelos. 

Archived