The Jorg Albertz appreciation thread

GOAT

Absolute wand of a left foot, just another example of the mark Rangers and it’s support leave on a player that was born in another country and couldn’t give a fuck about Rangers until he signed.  Still comes back and sees us, plays in legend and charity games and the guy was reduced to tears the day he was put in our hall of fame.  

best goal: think it will be the same for us all, THAT free kick against the tarriers 

best moment: running half the length of the pitch to bang a goal into the top corner in the cup semi final at the piggery. 

7 hours ago, GOAT said:

Absolute wand of a left foot, just another example of the mark Rangers and it’s support leave on a player that was born in another country and couldn’t give a fuck about Rangers until he signed.  Still comes back and sees us, plays in legend and charity games and the guy was reduced to tears the day he was put in our hall of fame.  

best goal: think it will be the same for us all, THAT free kick against the tarriers 

best moment: running half the length of the pitch to bang a goal into the top corner in the cup semi final at the piggery. 

Totally agree goat mate. I think our problem is we dont have enough players who come in now and fall in love with us they way players used to. I think that is due to not having any Ferguson's in our team anymore. Cunts who know what it is really about.

As well as a cracking player he was an absolute gentleman. Met him outside Tynecastle once and got a photo with him while some old junkie boy was shouting and cursing at him the whole time. He patted the boy on the back and just laughed it all off. Such a class act.

2 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

My favourite Rangers player ever, Laudrup a close second.

Being left footed he basically inspired me to try and boot the ball as hard as I could at any shooting opportunity, despite the fact it never worked...

I still try it and miss at 5s 😂

6 minutes ago, GOAT said:

He loved a goal against the bheggers didn’t he? 

Asides from super, has anyone else scored as many goals against them as him? 

I imagine him, Lovenkrands and Miller won’t have much between them. Unsure about players from further back than the 90s

Always felt sorry for the "wall", somehow they always seemed to find themselves at least 10 yards away without the ref prompting them. Paul Lambert also found his teeth about 10 yards away as well 😄

One goal i recall was in a european qualifier and (i'm sure) the commentator goes " Hes not going to hit that from there is he" (about 40 yards out) and then as per the norm for the hammer smashes it past the keeper.

Beat me to it, was shameful how dumbert got away with headbutting the big man's knee. 

Pure class Jorg getting up and slotting the pen while Dumbert was still searching for his teeth.

Also loved the volley he got off that really high looping ball that came in from the rhs , sorry canny mind who against but fabulous technique  never the less.

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Pick this out ya gypsy

I know I could be accused of being biased but this is surely one of the best free-kicks of that decade. Taking into account the distance and that a few inches either way and it would’ve either hit the post or the keepers hand this is an absolutely phenomenal hit.

Cooper aside, I think Albertz is possibly the biggest hero in my book. For a big guy, he had good pace and no one could stop him. As soon as he got the ball and got his speed up, there was no stopping him. That goal from the halfway line at the piggery is just unreal. He just takes the absolute PISH out of them. Epitomises everything you need in a Rangers player. 

Definitely up there with all the greats and deserves his HoF slot! Absolute legend!! 

28 minutes ago, BigDak said:

I know I could be accused of being biased but this is surely one of the best free-kicks of that decade. Taking into account the distance and that a few inches either way and it would’ve either hit the post or the keepers hand this is an absolutely phenomenal hit.

Quite possibly the best free kick of any decade Dak.  An absolute bullet  - off his genius left peg that needed a net to stop it going in the Atlantic Ocean 😂

When Albertz got the ball and drove forward, the opposition midfield parted in fear and defenders scrambled in panic, it was a thing of beauty and you could feel the whole stadium rise in anticipation of an unstoppable thunderbolt from the big man. 

One of the club's greatest signings of the modern era.

There's something hugely satisfying about foreign players who immediately 'get' the club. Huge mutual affection between the fans and the big man of the sort that we just haven't seen for a decade or so.

Because of the talent around him in that Rangers team, his level of ability probably wasn't as appreciated as it would have been in pretty much any other era.

If he played for us now, he'd be twice as good as the next best player in the country.

An absolute rolls royce of a player who guaranteed us 10-15 big, big moments a season. Along with McCoist and Laudrup, he was the biggest timskelper of that era. 

And incidentally, historically the coolest players have always been smoker. Cruyff, Prosinecki, and the magnificent ginger bastard from Moenchengladbach.

Archived