McCormack---------------------------McFadden

---------------Miller------Naismith---------------

Burley's team:

-----------------------Marshall-----------------------

Hutton------Caldwell------Caldwell------Whittaker

McCormack------Brown------Fletcher------Maloney

-----------------------------------McFadden----------

-------------------------Miller-------------------------

I reckon we shouldn't go 4-4-2. Away to Norway who have a few Premiership players is going to be very hard game for our depleted squad, we should go with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, with two wide men. However I see Burley going with a 4-4-1-1 system.

Burley's team;

----------------------Marshall------------------------

----Hutton--G.Caldwell--S.Caldwell--Whittaker---

---McCormack---Brown---Flecther---Maloney----

-----------------------McFadden---------------------

-------------------------Miller------------------------

If that was the team, I would be very worried with Steven Caldwell in there and I reckon Kris Commons or Steven Naismith should play over Maloney. I would also like to see a Hartley or Graham Alexander in a holding role to give Brown and Flecther more freedom, and maybe sacrifice James Mcfadden. I think he'll go for Marshall over Neil Alexander aswell now, which I think could prove to be a bad decision.

I'd like Alexander, from the squad picked in goals but I like that team albeit I'm no great fan of Miller.

Same, but, I reckon Burley will give Marshall his chance, he's been waiting in the wings long enough. As for Miller, the last time we played Norway away he scored two and if he can put a similar shift then theres all the more reason for us to pick up the three points. Miller is going to be key tommorow night, if picked.

If that was the team, I would be very worried with Steven Caldwell in there and I reckon Kris Commons or Steven Naismith should play over Maloney. I would also like to see a Hartley or Graham Alexander in a holding role to give Brown and Flecther more freedom, and maybe sacrifice James Mcfadden. I think he'll go for Marshall over Neil Alexander aswell now, which I think could prove to be a bad decision.

I agree with some of what you're saying here, but I really don't agree with the part about Hartley and Alexander. Fletcher is, for all intents and purposes, a world class holding midfielder and we keep trying to turn him into an attacking threat on the grounds that "he plays for Man United so we need more from him". I'd rather we just played him in his natural position, particularly when the alternative is bringing the likes of Hartley in who was never a holding midfielder in his prime and has only become one since his legs went and he couldn't play anywhere else.

Naismith, goal apart, hasn't even been that good for us this pre-season.

He has. The goal against Nuremberg, probably our best player against Arsenal and was excellent when we played City at Ibrox IMO. Not sure if he will get a start though.

Burley will attack and that might not be too bad an idea. Whittaker at LB at international level? What are our alternatives?

I don't think Burley will attack (if you mean play an attacking formation) & I don't think SW will start at LB.

Burley will attack and that might not be too bad an idea. Whittaker at LB at international level? What are our alternatives?

I don't think Burley will attack (if you mean play an attacking formation) & I don't think SW will start at LB.

From what I hear it may be Callum Davidson at LB tonight. :anguish:

I am a true Scotland supporter and this man does not bring me any Confidence whatsoever.

Although James McFadden is a dirty tim, how can he be left out of one of biggest games of the Campaign really dislike Burley whats your thoughts and playing David Marshall

http://www.<No links to this website>/2009/08/12/no...86908-21590818/

team announced

Norway v Scotland:

James McFadden left out as David Marshall lands goalkeeper slot

Aug 12 2009 By Keith Jackson

GEORGE Burley will take some of the biggest gambles of his Scotland career here in Norway tonight - axing talisman James McFadden and handing David Marshall the role of Craig Gordon's replacement in goal.

Record Sport can also reveal the international boss is set to unleash an attacking 4-3-3 formation against Norway as our hopes of qualification to next summer's World Cup finals go down to the wire.

Not only has Cardiff keeper Marshall been recalled almost five years after winning just his second cap but left-back Callum Davidson also looks set for a starting place in a team that will not feature the maverick talent of McFadden.

Burley insisted yesterday he has not yet announced his final starting 11 but the manager looks set to play wide men Kris Commons and Ross McCormack on either flank with Rangers striker Kenny Miller spearheading a three-pronged frontline.

There is also set to be a surprise midfield holding role for Graham Alexander, who is expected to get the nod ahead of Paul Hartley.

Parkhead star Scott Brown will make his first start of the season in a central role alongside Manchester United's Darren Fletcher.

And Marshall will make up the final line of defence behind a back four of Alan Hutton, brothers Gary and Steven Caldwell and Davidson .

It's another bold selection from Burley, who admitted yesterday he has faced some of the toughest decisions of his 18 months in charge as he attempts to put together a side capable of clinching victory .

The manager surprised many by leaving David Weir out of his original 23-man squad - a group that was already minus banned Boozegate duo Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor.

And he is aware of the possible repercussions should his choices backfire tonight.

Burley spoke to glove rivals Marshall and Neil Alexander yesterday at the team hotel to explain why the former Celtic man has won the battle of the back-ups to replace injured Sunderland No. 1 Gordon.

And he later admitted piecing this side together has been one of the biggest tests of his managerial career.

Burley said: "As a manager my job is to make decisions.

"It's difficult and you are not always going to please people when you leave them out but the great thing for a manager is to have options.

"I have spoken to the goalkeepers and have told them my decision but I have not announced the rest of the team.

"All I can do is stick to what I believe in and stick to my own philosophies. We are here to cause Norway problems and to win this match. We are not thinking about anything else."

I am a true Scotland supporter and this man does not bring me any Confidence whatsoever.

Although James McFadden is a dirty tim, how can he be left out of one of biggest games of the Campaign really dislike Burley whats your thoughts and playing David Marshall

http://www.<No links to this website>/2009/08/12/no...86908-21590818/

everytime i see him getting interviewed i wonder if hes hawf pished wi the way he conducts himself and the way he talks/slurs

im no ashamed tae say al be putting a few quid of the holiday fund on norway tonight

i feel nothing for scotland wi the twat in charge, i know thats a terrible thing to say about my country but i feel no passion or have any confidence while he is there

That's an embarrassing team for Burley. Why leave McFadden out. He has a proven track record at international level. The keeper situation is baffling and as for playing Alexander in midfield. the mind boggles