***The Official Rangers v Celtc Thread***

Muff

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No 4-4-2 please Walter. :)

This is the thing though, we don't have the players capable of playing the 4-5-1 effectively.

For a start we dont have anyone capable of playing the lone striker role. Boyd can't do it, neither can Novo, Lafferty (if fit) still hasn't shown me anything that says he could either and as for Miller, well he makes alot of runs but there is no end product and his first touch is simply shocking. Naismith did ok last night but he needs support, whcih brings me onto my second point.

Any successful team playing the 4-5-1 formation has at least one or two central midfielders capable of supporting and going beyond the lone striker. Chelsea has Lampard and Ballack, Liverpool have Gerrard and Arsenal have Fabregas, hell even the likes of Diaby and Denilson make runs into the box.

Us on the other hand don't have that type of player. Mendes, Thomson, McCulloch and Edu aren't that type of player, you won't see them making runs beyond the striker. I mean take last night for example, Naismith was isolated for alot of the game (even when we were playing well). I lost count of the number of crosses whipped into the box from Rothen, Whittaker and Davis only for there to be none in the box, or for it to be only Naismith trying to reach it.

Davis is the only player that has the game to make these runs and provide the support but with Walter having him stuck out wide all the time he is wasted.

:mcgregor:

:whittaker: :weir: :bougherra: :papac:

:mendes: :thomson:

:novo: :davis: :rothen:

:Naismith:

If the players produce anything near last night's first half then we'll gub that mob. Carry on our second half and we'll get beat.

I just got my ticket for this, I cannot wait. My second OF game, the first was our 1-0 win last season. A crucial win at a crucial time last season and another would do me nicely this Sunday.

Come on Rangers!!

In fairness, I can't remember the last time ANY of our strikers scored a ripping header.

I can't remember the last time we score from a free-kick direct, had a player who could provide us with width & who could take on a man and put a ball in (well I can haha, it was Neil Mccann), the list could go on :(

Phil Bardsley v Falkirk? :anguish:

In fairness, I can't remember the last time ANY of our strikers scored a ripping header.

I can't remember the last time we score from a free-kick direct, had a player who could provide us with width & who could take on a man and put a ball in (well I can haha, it was Neil Mccann), the list could go on :(

Boyd in the Scottish Cup Final against QOTS. (tu)

This is the thing though, we don't have the players capable of playing the 4-5-1 effectively.

For a start we dont have anyone capable of playing the lone striker role. Boyd can't do it, neither can Novo, Lafferty (if fit) still hasn't shown me anything that says he could either and as for Miller, well he makes alot of runs but there is no end product and his first touch is simply shocking. Naismith did ok last night but he needs support, whcih brings me onto my second point.

Any successful team playing the 4-5-1 formation has at least one or two central midfielders capable of supporting and going beyond the lone striker. Chelsea has Lampard and Ballack, Liverpool have Gerrard and Arsenal have Fabregas, hell even the likes of Diaby and Denilson make runs into the box.

Us on the other hand don't have that type of player. Mendes, Thomson, McCulloch and Edu aren't that type of player, you won't see them making runs beyond the striker. I mean take last night for example, Naismith was isolated for alot of the game (even when we were playing well). I lost count of the number of crosses whipped into the box from Rothen, Whittaker and Davis only for there to be none in the box, or for it to be only Naismith trying to reach it.

Davis is the only player that has the game to make these runs and provide the support but with Walter having him stuck out wide all the time he is wasted.

We don't have the players to play a 4-4-2 either.

Our team has a far better balance to it when we play 4-3-3/4-5-1 and thats the formation we should stick with.

Boyd v. Aberdeen two (?) seasons ago was more recent. Boyd's in the SC final was indirect I think.

We don't have the players to play a 4-4-2 either.

Our team has a far better balance to it when we play 4-3-3/4-5-1 and thats the formation we should stick with.

I completely agree with that - we don't have the personnel to play 4-4-2 successfully, especially in a game like an Old Firm.

And tbh, Naismith did pretty well against Sevilla up there on his own. Plus, celtc don't have anything like the quality Sevilla posses.

There is a better balance to the side when we adopt the 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 formation, and it's one we should continue with.

I honestly do not have a clue who I would play.

Naismith deserves it, but he will be shattered.

Which is why him or Davis should have been rested when we 4-0 down.

That to me suggests Miller will start up front on his own.

I honestly do not have a clue who I would play.

Naismith deserves it, but he will be shattered.

Which is why him or Davis should have been rested when we 4-0 down.

That to me suggests Miller will start up front on his own.

That was never in doubt tbh.

He will run around like a headless chicken, loose the ball, miss chance after chance... he should be stuck on the bench where he belongs.

Superb analysis of our problem; even in the much vaunted Uefa run the 5 man midfield failed to do the job of stifling the opposition and preventing them getting through on goals; Werder Bremen 30 plus shots on goal. We no longer have Hemdani who could read the game and Ferguson who had the composure to hold the ball. Defensively we are far poorer and upfront no Cousin.