Who was scotlands last genuine world class player

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither Ferguson or Cooper were anywhere near world class, Dalglish and Souness were the last two with Baxter before them.

Too young to have seen Cooper at Rangers myself but a certain Mr Ruud Gullit, one of the key members of probably the greatest club side ever assembled, two time european cup winner and euro 88 winner, called him one of the best players he'd ever faced and he named him in his dream XI. A dream team in which, by the way, he leaves Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldinho on the bench.

Nowhere near world class?

No doubt, but there were atleast 5-6 other players who could have given more of a tough time. He was a top top player for a decent period of time, but he was nowhere near the best in his position in the world.

I'd say Law and Dalglish amybe the only two genuine world class players to have come from Scotland. A lot of borderline... like Souness, Baxter, Mcgrain, but I'm actually too young to have seen any of these play...

Souness won the European cup 3 times and would walk into any team today. as much as it pains me to say it mcgrain was also a world class player. to say Baxter wasnt world class is bordering on crazy talk. Scotland have had genuine world class players over the years. The last ones probably were Cooper and Dalglish who were both no doubts about it world class. Goram could be another who at his peak could not be touched even by Smichael. For Scotland to have never got out of the group stages in a world cup is an embarrassment when you look at some of the players they had in the squads.

Unfortunately World Class isn't a standard unit of measurement.

Indeed not. But it would be reasonable to assume a genuinely world class player could consistently deliver for any club or national team.

The last Scots of such quality for me would be Cooper, Souness and Dalglish.

Souness, for example, in his pomp, was a standard of player so far ahead of B. Ferguson as to make any comparison laughable.

Too young to have seen Cooper at Rangers myself but a certain Mr Ruud Gullit, one of the key members of probably the greatest club side ever assembled, two time european cup winner and euro 88 winner, called him one of the best players he'd ever faced and he named him in his dream XI. A dream team in which, by the way, he leaves Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldinho on the bench.

Nowhere near world class?

No I dont believe so but its all about opinions, I was fortunate enough to see Cooper play for Clydebank in his first season and many years at Ibrox but World class no. Keep in mind though by saying he was not WC doesnt mean he was a bad player. In my opinion Goram, Gough and McCoist were better players in their position's than Cooper was as they delivered consistently year after year.

I think the term WC is flung about too much and Souness and Dalglish were our last WC players, players that were competing and winning at the highest European level in club football over many years.

Probably Souness and Dalglish. Guys like Richard Gough and the Goalie were up there with the best of them in the early 90's.

Going by what I've heard Ian Durrant could have been a world class player had it not been for that bastard Simpson up at Pittodrie

I agree with most views above, but I believe, on his day, Richard gough could have played in the top leagues no probs.

Strolling through games for everton when he 40.

Only played for spurs because jim McLean would not sell directly to rangers.

I think he could have been up there, but that is just my opinion of course.

Most deffo mate. He is underated IMO