Villa Confirm McGregor interest

trueblue68

Aston Villa are keeping tabs on Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor as Gerard Houllier seeks a long-term replacement for Brad Friedel.

Houllier confirmed McGregor, 28, was watched by assistant boss Gary McAllister and goalkeeping coach Rafael Gonzalez during Rangers' Champions League defeat to Manchester United in mid-week.

"Yes we went to see him (McGregor) play," said Houllier,

"I'm very happy with Brad but I'm conscious he is 39 and I'd be silly not to look to the long term.

"Obviously, he didn't have a good game versus Blackburn but, since the start of the season, he's been spot on.

"He's got experience and I trust him. I think he's a good goalkeeper, been a good buy. Long term, we need to prepare for the future. I need to see the reserve goalkeeper (Brad Guzan) as well."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5ju6UHgTitT69FFo-gKMsNZzcW0JQ?docId=N0304801290845074626A

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think shagger would be intrested in villa. He is capable of playing at a bigger club. If he is to leave, I'd like to see a bidding war between a few clubs and if we were to sell him, I'd like to think we'd hold out for top dollar and not just accept the first offer to come in.

If a champions league regular team from Spain or England come in for McGregor then I could accept him leaving.

But to leave for a mid-table team would be pointless unless he wanted a big payday. McGregor thrives on the spotlight a big club provides, and even if England or Spain are bigger leagues a mid table team would do nothing for him.

I don't think shagger would be intrested in villa. He is capable of playing at a bigger club. If he is to leave, I'd like to see a bidding war between a few clubs and if we were to sell him, I'd like to think we'd hold out for top dollar and not just accept the first offer to come in.

Good post. (tu)

We are now in a position to sit back and allow a bidding war IMO. If we get bought out by this fella i would want him to tie McGregor down for 5 more years. We do have the luxury of having a brilliant back up keeper so i am not that worried about losing him, but would rather he stayed as he is on the form of his life and in a nut shell, better than Alexander.

My own opinion is Arsenal will go for him and i think he would probably like that himself.The whole footballing World know that Arsenal need a keeper and McGregor would be more than capable of doing a job for them.

Craig Gordon went for 9mil. McGregor is the better keeper and I say that without bias (well trying).

That really was just a freak transfer though when Keane was throwing crazy money away.

Fact is keepers just dont tend to go for huge transfer fees, Reina cost 6 million, Barthez 7.5 million, Cech 7 million, thats just a few examples of better keepers than Gordon costing a lot less. Not saying I would want to accept them myself, but I think we would expect to receive bids of around 5-6 million for McGregor.

What tops teams in the Premiership would go for Allan McGregor?

Manchester United have just signed Anders Lindegaard and are supposidly still interested in David de Gea, whilst looking to keep Edwin van der Saar for another season. The likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Manchester City all have good keepers and I'm not too sure if Arsene Wenger would be interested in Allan McGregor!?

Allan McGregor has been a very good keeper for a number of seasons, he's performed in numerous big games and still not one club has made an offer for him.

If Aston Villa offer the right money and are allowed to talk to McGregor, then would be reject a move to the Premiership, football, personel and money wise!?

We'll soon see as the window opens in just over four weeks!

I don't agree

They can do better than McGregor and like it or not, mid table EPL is pretty much his standard

Bullshit .. McGregor has been outstanding this season, carrying on his form from last season.

He is a top notch shot stopper, when he is up against a penalty, i always have confidence he will save it, he is now coming for cross balls far more than previously and commanding his area.

There is not many better than him in the UK.

I don't agree

They can do better than McGregor and like it or not, mid table EPL is pretty much his standard

Not sure I agree with your post. Why would Allan McGregor be mid table EPL standard? The top 4 might have good Keepers in place, but that does not mean Allan is not of that standard.

He has performed as well as any current Keeper in any competition. Internationals, CL, OF, Week in week out.

Of course he is top 4 standard in the EPL. Doesn't mean he'll end up there though because of circumstances outwith his control. (tu)

So realistically who is a better keeper, for a top 4 team to sign?

Some managers might see McGregor as a bargain - we wont get £10m for him, IMO, we'd get around £6m, £7m, £8m tops...

I don't see any of the 'top' clubs in the Premiership wanting McGregor - they will probably look to the likes of Lloris, Buffon, de Gea, Stekelenburg, Frey... End of the day, it all comes down to who is interested and what they are prepared to pay, no matter what we think.

Like I said above, we will soon see who is interested in McGregor as the window opens shortly.

Goalkeepers are unique, as we know. I personally don't think it matter what team you play for, as, unlike outfield players, that 6 yard box is the same no matter who you play for. it wont matter if it's a sunday league team you play for, or The Rangers, a shot on goal is a shot on goal so your actual ability to save it is of the same standard in any football match.

Obviously the better the team you play for the harder it is from a team to have a shot on goal, but once the ball is in a dangerous position.............a goalkeeper is on his own that's why i think the lads that think he is only a mid table EPL team are wrong.

Does that make sense?? <cr>

That is not be trying to get bites, it's my own, confusing, opinion.