Boxing and MMA

2 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Taking the Golovkin fight has proved absolutely disastrous, as many predicted. 

Makes the Khan fight easier to make, but it's not even half the fight it could have been a while back.

He should never have went back down to welterweight after taking that fight imo.

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He should never have went back down to welterweight after taking that fight imo.

Not sure how much of a problem it was, but he fell apart as soon as his eye began to swell. He's done at world level if he can't exorcise that. 

6 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

Not sure how much of a problem it was, but he fell apart as soon as his eye began to swell. He's done at world level if he can't exorcise that. 

Think the drop in weight took too much out of him this time. He looked like he was running on empty in the latter stages of the fight other than the odd burst.

34 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

i think he used the eye as an excuse, i think his tank was emptied as people predicted before the fight. he only needed two out of the last 4 rounds for the win imo. tank was emptied. 

Haye fought and near beat Bellew with one leg ffs lol

Did they not say when the fight was stopped that Spence was up by 5, 3 and 1 on the score cards. That ment he would have needed all 4 rounds which he had no chance of doing

2 minutes ago, james_85 said:

Did they not say when the fight was stopped that Spence was up by 5, 3 and 1 on the score cards. That ment he would have needed all 4 rounds which he had no chance of doing

didnt here that, i thought Brook was winning after 8 rounds, then he gassed. i genuinely think he used the eye as an excuse because he was fucked. 

After reflection I think Brook has taken a number of factors into account when he's taken the knee.

• His previous injury and the warnings he would have been given about losing his sight etc.
  • Not wanting to be sparkled out licking the canvas in his hometown stadium.
  • Knowing he wasn't going to win on points and had blown his gasket the round before. 

I don't agree with Kirk's comments about not letting a boxer quit, that's just fucking stupid and shows real contempt for how much danger they put themselves in when they go into the ring. It's their life and they should be in control of it. Brook gave that crowd a fantastic fight, it's up to him if he wants to take a knee. 

17 hours ago, Band of Brothers said:

Bellew is fucking brilliant and rightly giving Brook a wee dig as I agree a fighter should go out on his gum shield it is what they risk and get paid millions for.

The get paid millions to box, not to lose their sight or die.

1 minute ago, Band of Brothers said:

They also choose to be boxers if he had any worries prior to the fight he should not have been in the ring.

Perhaps he didn't prior to the fight. Then he did during the fight.

I'm genuinely baffled that any boxing fan would think a fighter should be prepared to suffer avoidable life-altering injuries if they are going to dare ask people to watch. There are referees and ringside doctors precisely because your stance has no place in boxing.

Just now, JamieD said:

Perhaps he didn't prior to the fight. Then he did during the fight.

I'm genuinely baffled that any boxing fan would think a fighter should be prepared to suffer avoidable life-altering injuries if they are going to dare ask people to watch.

It was mentioned before the fight about his eye I just think a boxer should give his all and I think he did but taking a knee was his way of defeat and possibly the worry about his eye got to him.

It was a great fight I enjoyed it but I thought Bellew was spot on thats all.

Just now, Band of Brothers said:

It was mentioned before the fight about his eye I just think a boxer should give his all and I think he did but taking a knee was his way of defeat and possibly the worry about his eye got to him.

It was a great fight I enjoyed it but I thought Bellew was spot on thats all.

He'll be a long time retired. Better to quit too early than too late.

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

He'll be a long time retired. Better to quit too early than too late.

He has made his money and gave GGG a great fight I'm not sure if he will go back up a weight or get a rematch but having that injury will hover over him now and probably best to hang the gloves up and be a pundit.

11 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I've seen more fights where I wished the loser had quit than ones where I wished he hadn't.

It was interesting watching then listening to Groves. He is clearly still traumatised and I think he always will be. When he was unloading last night he was praying the fight would be stopped. I think that will always play on his mind in the future. He may struggle to keep on someone when he is hurting them badly for fear of what may happen. On the flip side, Brook will never be the same IMO in a similar sense for fear of being severely injured, visually impaired or maybe worse himself.

To be a top boxer I think you have to be fearless and mentally, you have to be in a special place. If you're not I think you'll struggle to be one of the very best. The elite fighters are incredible in so many ways. Brook has made a decision which has opened up a huge debate but it's one of them that can kinda be seen from both views. It's easy to say don't throw in the towel, but the ramifications and risks are too real.