Campaign to have WW2 titles recognised.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/03/2012 at 11:54 AM, Creampuff said:

Just because those clubs lack our dignity does not mean we should drop to their level.

Is it undignified to make a point which many consider valid? Ā  There will be many in our fan-base who will be unaware of such historical facts. Ā One of the oft-quoted comments I have read over the years is that "you can only beat the teams put in front of you". Ā  I have also often thought that excluding such trophies detracts from the players at the time who through no fault of their own lost out during WW2 on getting the recognition for their football success. Ā  I'm not in any way underplaying the war and its effects. Ā My mother's cousin had agreed to sign for RFC as a goalkeeper but very sadly never came back from the far east and now lies buried in a CWG cemetery in Kuala Lumpur. Ā 

On 14 March 2012 at 11:52 AM, Miggy Sinclair said:

I believe now is the right time to campaign to have the WW2 titles recognised, given that full participation took place with all the big teams and full seasons.

There are a number of justifications:

Full Seasons

Full participation

Aberdeen and Hibs quote their honours as official during this period - Rangers don't - this is key in the arguments

Celtics WW1 titles stand - another injustice - in England WW1 titles are not counted

Actually 7 full leagues were played during WW2

1939-40

Division 1 (this is only short campaign)

Rangers 1st, Celtic 4th when it finished

Full Campaign

Rangers 1st, Celtic 13th

War cup - Rangers winners

1940-41 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 5th

League Cup - Rangers Winners

1941-42 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 3rd

1942-43 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 10th

League Cup Winners - Rangers

1943-44 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd

League Cup Winners - Hibs beat us 6-5 on corners, included in their honours

1944-45 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd

1945-46 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 4th

League Cup Winners - Aberdeen, included in their honours

There seems no justification for these other clubs including honours and ours not standing, as well as Celtic including theirs for WW1.

As well as winning 7 titles we also won 5 cups, 4 league cups and a war cup.

In total we have been denied 12 trophies in total!

With all the talk of us losing trophies - we should have these 12 included in our honours. Others have - Hibs and Aberdeen.

The worst should be Celtic stripped of their WW1 titles but tbh it would be fairer just to include our 12. The main justification for taking their titles is that in England, these were suspended during WW1 - why should they have these. It's totally biased and wrong, not just morally but factually.

Sporting integrity would demand that these titles should be added. If Aberdeen and Hibs include in their honours then there is no reason why we don't include in ours.

Unveil the 6th star! :uk::UK::uk::UK::uk::UK:

61 and counting.

Rangers 8 Celtic 1.

We welcome the chase.

I fully agree with this, so who is it that is doing the campaigning? If not the club, forget it.

3 hours ago, danger ranger said:

This thread is bringing all the taigs out of the woodwork, the majority of the opposing posters aren't old enough to remember the IraqĀ war never mind quote on wars 70 odd years ago.Ā 

Fuck the scum, let's attack them on all fronts, make a fucking nuisance of ourselves, a bit of reverse psychology, a bit of cold steel right up them, let see how they like it.

Thank goodnescwe ave Auld sages like thebooler to tell us what ww1 and ww2 were like for league football.

I'm happy that we keep the morale high ground on the fact that we respect the fact that Britain was at war!Ā 

However, it should not be totally dismissed if the SFA and the rest of the scumbags were to ever try and take away any of our current titles.

On 14/03/2012 at 1:52 PM, Miggy Sinclair said:

I believe now is the right time to campaign to have the WW2 titles recognised, given that full participation took place with all the big teams and full seasons.

There are a number of justifications:

Full Seasons

Full participation

Aberdeen and Hibs quote their honours as official during this period - Rangers don't - this is key in the arguments

Celtics WW1 titles stand - another injustice - in England WW1 titles are not counted

Actually 7 full leagues were played during WW2

1939-40

Division 1 (this is only short campaign)

Rangers 1st, Celtic 4th when it finished

Full Campaign

Rangers 1st, Celtic 13th

War cup - Rangers winners

1940-41 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 5th

1941-42 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 3rd

1942-43 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 10th

1943-44 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd

League Cup Winners - Hibs beat us 6-5 on corners, included in their honours

1944-45 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd

1945-46 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 4th

League Cup Winners - Aberdeen, included in their honours

There seems no justification for these other clubs including honours and ours not standing, as well as Celtic including theirs for WW1.

As well as winning 7 titles we also won 5 cups, 4 league cups and a war cup.

In total we have been denied 12 trophies in total!

With all the talk of us losing trophies - we should have these 12 included in our honours. Others have - Hibs and Aberdeen.

The worst should be Celtic stripped of their WW1 titles but tbh it would be fairer just to include our 12. The main justification for taking their titles is that in England, these were suspended during WW1 - why should they have these. It's totally biased and wrong, not just morally but factually.

Sporting integrity would demand that these titles should be added. If Aberdeen and Hibs include in their honours then there is no reason why we don't include in ours.

Unveil the 6th star! :uk::UK::uk::UK::uk::UK:

61 and counting.

Rangers 8 Celtic 1.

We welcome the chase.

Thanks for the history lesson, I was not aware of this info. But, I am not with you. We have done the right thing and should not stoop to the sub standard behaviour of others with no morals and dignity.

7 minutes ago, will2203 said:

Thanks for the history lesson, I was not aware of this info. But, I am not with you. We have done the right thing and should not stoop to the sub standard behaviour of others with no morals and dignity.

I agree with you on this one but I think it good to highlight this to the scum who are wanting us to lose titles.

16 minutes ago, will2203 said:

We lost the sub standard behaviour, morality and dgnity arguement when we elected King as Chairman ffs!

The Second World War was an unofficial league set up as a morale booster for the nation. It included guest players go teams etc. It was also split into north/south regions unlike the ww1 league titles.Ā 

In short the league was not suspended in ww1 and the league was in ww2 - just leave it and focus on 55 asap - that's the Rangers WayĀ 

We don't need to campaign for the titles to be recognised.

But if every time we hear or read some crap about stripping our hard-won titles in recent years, we should say/write that if they are stripped we will start counting our war titles like celtc and others do so we will end up with an even bigger number.

If we say it often enough, it may make them think twice.

On 3/14/2012 at 11:54 AM, Creampuff said:

Just because those clubs lack our dignity does not mean we should drop to their level.

As much as its a good point, perhaps our dignified stance is what got us here in the first place, times have changed, people fight dirty now so maybe we should to

On 14/03/2012 at 8:00 PM, Creampuff said:

Can't believe so many people want this.

The only campaign should be to have other clubs not count their trophies won during wartime.

Fair comment mate, but if other clubs don't follow that rule we should rightfully claim ours, it's upholding sporting integrity