Transfers

Neither stood out at Sunderland or Wigan.

How exactly would Cleverley or Welbeck stand out for clubs like Everton, Liverpool, Tottenham etc?

Cleverley is neat and tidy, he's practically the English version of Joe Allen, another decent at best footballer.

United's double bid for Fellaini and Baines is laughable.

Cleverley did stand out at Wigan, you're saying that to me remember. He was crucial for Wigan and was excellent in the away win at Stoke which kept Wigan up that year. He can certainly pick out a killer pass, and can dictate the tempo of the game. Players like that aren't exactly "quite poor."

Welbeck on the other hand, I find surprising that people consider him to be poor. Yes he could improve by scoring more goals, but for that he is a good player, and he's still young and improving.

You could argue that Michu is less of a gamble than Higuain since he's proven it in the EPL.

Suarez has only one terrific season in the EPL as well and only scored five more goals in a stronger team last season than Michu. Considering it's about half the transfer value and Suarez has problems on and off the park, it could again be argued to being less of a gamble.

Know what you mean by that the other two are better players, but I think Michu would score many goals at a club like Arsenal.

I get what you mean, I just think Arsenal really need some proven European and international players. Michu would add something to their front line but Podolski and Giroud are not that good so it would still seem quite weak.

Contrast Spurs having Soldado while Michu still hasn't won a cap for Spain (may do so soon though).

papertalk-logos-eveningstandard.jpg

• Arsenal are weighing up a £35million double raid on Swansea for striker Michu and defender Ashley Williams as the club look to respond to mounting criticism over their lack of signings.
  • Andre Villas-Boas hopes his personal rapport with Willian will swing the race to sign the Brazilian attacker in Tottenham's favour.
  • Frank Lampard has warned his Chelsea team-mates that the return of Jose Mourinho won't improve their title hopes if they make the same mistakes as the last three seasons.
  • Joe Cole has been involved in three World Cups with England and has not given up on making it four in a row.
  • The Football Association will review Ian Holloway's comments before deciding whether to punish the Crystal Palace manager for criticising Mark Clattenburg.

papertalk-logos-fulhamchronicle.gif

• QPR are ready to ramp up a bid to bring Andros Towsnend back to Loftus Road.

papertalk-logos-newham-recorder.gif

• West Ham co-owner David Gold has revealed that the Hammers are still in the market for a striker, but only if they can free up some wages.
  • West Ham co-owner David Gold believes that the fee they paid for former Liverpool man Stewart Downing meant that he was a steal.

papertalk-logos-men.jpg

• Everton have angrily rejected a joint bid by Manchester United for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines, reports from Merseyside say.
  • Reds boss David Moyes is hoping to turn Danny Welbeck into a 15-20 goal a season striker after his promising start to the campaign.
  • Manuel Pellegrini is ready to hit the ground the running as his Manchester City career begins in earnest this week.

papertalk-logos-liverpoolecho.jpg

• Liverpool are locked in a battle with Tottenham for Brazilian winger Willian. Both clubs have held talks with Anzhi Makhachkala and are willing to meet the Russian outfit's asking price of around £28million.
  • Brendan Rodgers paid tribute to Liverpool matchwinner Daniel Sturridge - and to the medical team who kept him in shape over the summer.
  • Ross Barkley can cope with the expectations after he announced himself on the Premier League stage with a stunning strike against Norwich, believes Tim Howard.

papertalk-logos-chroniclelive.jpg

• Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is in contention to face Manchester City speed demon Jesus Navas.

papertalk-logos-journal.jpg

• Alan Pardew admits Newcastle United's rivals have stolen a march on them ahead of the new Premier League campaign.

papertalk-logos-sunderlandecho.gif

• Sunderland are considering selling Stephane Sessegnon in order to fund the purchase of the creative midfielder that manager Paolo Di Canio craves.
  • Adam Johnson believes that Sunderland's new signings have received a brutal lesson in the ruthlessness of the Premier League.
  • Phil Bardsley's conduct will come under scrutiny from Paolo Di Canio this week after appearing to mock Sunderland's opening-day defeat to Fulham.

papertalk-logos-eveninggazette.gif

• Justin Hoyte may end up leaving the Riverside before the end of the month - but that's not the reason he didn't feature against Blackpool on Saturday.

papertalk-logos-yorkshireeveningpost.jpg

• Ross McCormack insisted today that Leeds United would be selling him against his wishes if the club chose to accept an offer for him before the end of the transfer window.

papertalk-logos-pinkun.jpg

• Chris Hughton believes Ricky van Wolfswinkel's Premier League debut underlined he is so much more than a potent goalscorer.

papertalk-logos-dailyecho.jpg

• He's been a controversial figure in the past, but Mauricio Pochettino believes that Daniel Osvaldo is the man to help Saints to the next level.

papertalk-logos-getreading.jpg

• Nigerian international striker Joseph Akpala is to spend the week training with Reading.

papertalk-logos-sentinel.jpg

• Mark Hughes has been to watch Turkish international striker Mevlut Erding in person ahead of a possible swoop for the French-based striker.
  • Geoff Cameron wants Jon Walters to complete a case of deja vu by recovering from a missed penalty to inspire a win over Crystal Palace.
  • Erik Pieters toasted his Premier League debut by telling Stoke fans: "There's a lot more to come."

papertalk-logos-lancashiretelegraph.jpg

• Gary Bowyer is holding talks to discover if he can use the money from the sale of Mauro Formica to strengthen his Blackburn Rovers squad before the end of the transfer window.

papertalk-logos-eveningtimes.jpg

• Beram Kayal reckons Celtic's team spirit can unlock the door to the Champions League group stage.
  • Three major Rangers fans groups today called on the Ibrox board to sack club consultant Charles Green.

papertalk-logos-scotsman.jpg

• The Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) is to review an advert in which Rangers were described as the 'most successful' club in Scotland.
  • Shakhter Karagandy, who stand between Celtic and another Champions League group campaign, rested their entire team and still won their final game before tomorrow night's play-off encounter in Kazakhstan.

Each to their own Marky, I've never seen Cleverley dictate a game, in-fact the United fans on redcafe often mention that Cleverley needs to do more creative and dangerous passes. They also say he's too neat and tidy and doesn't affect the game near as much as a Man United midfielder should.

He only played just over 30 minutes in that Stoke game as well. He's not 'shit' but I don't think he would stand out for clubs like Tottenham, Liverpool etc as you suggested.

Brought him on, changed the game.

Edit it was Figueroa who set up rodallega, my bad!

I see what you guys are saying but I still find it funny that if "the striker adds goals to his game he'd be a top player". Yup, and if I add clean sheets to my game I would be a top keeper too.

I just don't rate either at Man Utd level and think Hernandez and Kagawa are 10x better.

Arsenal :lol: