rangers have won - the decision has been referred back to appeal tribunal.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys don't get too carried away... At present the embargo still stands and it may stay that way.

Today's ruling was simply to prove that nowhere in the rules does it state that the SFA have the power to hand us a transfer ban. However at the end of the day it's still up to the SFA to decide what happens as it's their rules... They can either stick to their guns by breaking their own rules to enforce it, or they can look at another form of punishment that's by the book.

FIFA breathing down the SFA's neck is hardly a good thing either.. Basically unless the SFA punish us to a suitable standard the whole of Scottish football will be banned from international competition. That leaves the SFA in a bit of a precarious situation. They eirther piss FIFA and the rest of the SPL off... or they hammer us.

"Mr Keen had argued that the transfer ban was outside its powers and said that under the appropriate rule a fine, suspension and expulsion were available."

Be careful what you wish for.

Why?

And Im not being pedantic here...but these sanctions were available to the tribunal at the time...and they decided that the wrongdoing did not merit suspension or expulsion (both of which are considered MORE damaging than a transfer ban)...otherwise they would have imposed one of those sanctions.

Would love to hear them justify an 'increase' in punishment now.

am i right in thinking with fifa wading in, they wont accept the CoS decision and the transfer embargo will still stand ?and the sfa face possible sanctions...this is getting bad

sorry to rain on the parade

The transfer ban has been deemed illegal as it wasn't in the sanctions list in the SFA rule book to punish us with.

It will now go back to the appeals panel who will impose a punishment that is in the sanctions list

However FIFA/UEFA will take the hump because we took this to a normal court, but I believe that we were denied the opportunity to take it to the CAS.

And will urge the SFA to shaft us

So ultimately the SFA have tried to impose an illegal ban hoping we would roll over and accept and deny us the correct means of appeal, and because we have stood up for ourselves, all of Scottish football could get punished

Total shambles the SFA are regan must resign IMO

Mind you imagine the tims getting told eh you's are oot the champions league!

That would make my year

FIFA has warned the Scottish Football Association it must take action after Rangers' use of the law courts to challenge a registration embargo.

The Scottish Premier League side won a case at the Court of Session on Tuesday, with a judge ruling the Scottish FA had no power to impose a signing ban on the club for bringing the game into disrepute.

A statement from FIFA read: "At the time of writing we have not received any communication from the Scottish FA.

"In such a case, FIFA will ask the Member Association to take action so that the club withdraws its request from the ordinary courts.

"As a general rule, in case a club is seeking redress in front of ordinary court, as mentioned above the Member Association shall take direct action in order to safeguard the principle laid down in art. 64 par. 2 of FIFA Statutes, which shall be, in view of art. 64 par. 3 incorporated in the Member Associations’ Statutes.

"FIFA will closely monitor the situation so that the issue is resolved as fast as possible."

Rangers' case will now be referred back to the original appeal tribunal, which has been ordered to operate within the framework which exists.

Rule 66 allows for a maximum fine of £100,000 to be imposed, as well as ejection from the Scottish Cup, a suspension, expulsion from participation in the game and/or termination of SFA membership.

They can't force expulsion etc anyway when you think about it.

Their passing of their original verdict and appeal deemed that expulsion etc was too severe a sanction.

They now can't change that original viewpoint, we'll be suspended from the Scottish Cup no doubt.

They could say that they think it warrants something more serious than a fine - ie a penalty that limits our ability to win matches / the league in some way; and since they aren't able to do a transfer ban, they have no option but to expel us.

Having said that, you are probably right that we will be suspended from the Cup.

Why?

And Im not being pedantic here...but these sanctions were available to the tribunal at the time...and they decided that the wrongdoing did not merit suspension or expulsion (both of which are considered MORE damaging than a transfer ban)...otherwise they would have imposed one of those sanctions.

Would love to hear them justify an 'increase' in punishment now.

They think it requires a punishment more serious than a fine, so if a transfer ban is not available as a punishment, they have to chose a punishment that is available? That would be their justification for an "increase" in punishment. Also we have FIFA ordering the SFA to punish us for going to a civil court.

am i right in thinking with fifa wading in, they wont accept the CoS decision and the transfer embargo will still stand ?and the sfa face possible sanctions...this is getting bad

sorry to rain on the parade

From the lad who told us 'twitter has said out appeal had been rejected.' unlucky fella. Away and play now.

Point is, we weren't allowed option of going to CAS.

correct me if i'm wrong,but this statement got me thinking

'The case is now going back to an SFA appeal tribunal rather than to the original judicial panel which applied the punishment in the first place.'

if it's sent to the appeal tribunal,then surely we will just win our appeal because the judge ruled in our favour?

only the judicial panel could change the 'punishment'?

so how can they punish us at all here,or am i missing something :sherlock:

Fifa is mighty and thinks itself a good deal mightier than it is, but it can't simply ignore the courts. All it can do is pressure the SFA to take the most serious sanction it has available. The SFA really has backed itself into a very dark corner. Crass stupidity.

This

@bbcsportsound: Bad news for #Rangers:They wanted embargo thrown out with no further hearing- judge rejected that & proposed return to SFA appeal tribunal.

The hell is going on

just the BBC's spin on news everyone knows

We already know that it has been returned to the SFA appeals tribunal, the BBC are just trying to find a negative slant to put on todays shred of hope.

The judgement was for Rangers case to be referred back to the Appeal tribunal not the original Judicial Panel. If the appeal tribunal review it and take on board that they should stick to their own rule book then that limits their options. As the original Judicial Panel decided expulsion was far too severe, the appeal panel are unlikely to go in that direction. I'm afraid that I don't know the exact list of options available to an appeal tribunal. FIFA getting involved is now another factor to be included in this awful saga. When will it all end???

The judgement was for Rangers case to be referred back to the Appeal tribunal not the original Judicial Panel. If the appeal tribunal review it and take on board that they should stick to their own rule book then that limits their options. As the original Judicial Panel decided expulsion was far too severe, the appeal panel are unlikely to go in that direction. I'm afraid that I don't know the exact list of options available to an appeal tribunal. FIFA getting involved is now another factor to be included in this awful saga. When will it all end???

Soon buddy, soon.

They think it requires a punishment more serious than a fine, so if a transfer ban is not available as a punishment, they have to chose a punishment that is available? That would be their justification for an "increase" in punishment. Also we have FIFA ordering the SFA to punish us for going to a civil court.

thats my whole point. They had options available that were more serious than a fine. They chose not to use them...because it was deemed too severe.