CG charged by SFA

BEARGER

Rangers chief executive Charles Green has been served with a Notice of Complaint from the Scottish Football Association over "racist" comments made in the press.

The governing body has charged Green with two breaches of its rules, citing him for "Bringing the game into disrepute by making comments in a media interview of an offensive and racist nature".

Charles Green defended his use of the term "my Paki friend" in an interview given to The Sun on Sunday but says he would take a hard line against any player who used racist language.

Anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card has condemned his remarks, saying they were "ill-advised" and that the term used is "highly offensive".

In an interview with STV on Monday, the businessman played down his use of the term. Green however stated he wouldn't accept such remarks being made by any other Rangers employee.

"The point I made when I was being interviewed the other day was about my relationship with Imran, and his relationship with me where he calls me a Yorkshire so-and-so," he said.

When asked if his remarks were normal language for someone at Rangers, Green replied: "No it's not normal language. It's not normal language for me."

Pressed further on whether such actions would be accepted from a member Ally McCoist's squad, he replied: "Would I accept it from a player? In terms of being said in a friendly way or a disparaging way?

"I only use it with Imran. I don't use it in the public domain.

"No it would be inappropriate. He would subject to an investigation or if there was a complaint. Imran hasn't complained."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to admit I have no complaints over this one!

Whether he meant it as a term of endearment or not, it was stupid of the CEO of Rangers Football Club to give an interview to a media outlet and come out with that.

He should remember he's an ambassador for the club, and his own private views should stay that way!

Had another CEO of another club came and and used the phrase "my paki friend" do you think the SFA would ignore it because its not us? Yes, they have had a blatant agenda against us in the past but I can't blame them for this one. Charles deserves it. Pay the fine, apologise, draw a line under it. Much bigger things to worry about just now.

Have any body even bothered to ask Ahmed if he was offended? Since the comment was about him surely it's up to him if it was racist or not.

The way racism works is - if anyone finds it offensive in a racist way, then it's racist.

I was convicted for a racist breach of the peace for asking an irish polis for a translator coz I couldn't understand what she was saying. I thought she was from the Highlands or something, turns out she was from Northern Ireland. Spent a month in Greenock prison for it. Fucking ridiculous.

While his comments maybe ill advised and silly to say in the public domain. The way that article reads, is that CG is a racist and has bring the game into disrepute.

Fuck sake the only people in Scotland bringing the game into disrepute are the governing bodies.

Have to admit I have no complaints over this one!

Whether he meant it as a tearm of endearment or not, it was stupid of the CE of Rangers Football Club to give an interview to a media outlet and come out with that.

He should remember he's an ambassador for the club, and his own private views should stay that way!

This - what he appeared to mean was that it is a great shame that you can't speak like that nowadays .

Should never have said anything like that in the first place. Accept the fine or whatever, apologise and move on.

Reading people talking about agenda makes me laugh, Charles Green caused this one himself. There's nothing else to it. I hope he does the decent thing. And then we can move on.