McDowall : I dread to think had we not won the title

djbroxybear

KENNY McDOWALL looks at some of the stick Rangers have had for WINNING the Third Division.

Then he wonders just what some of the flak might have been like if they HADN’T.

Ally McCoist’s No2 insists his side’s title triumph hasn’t been given the credit it deserves.

He feels that Gers’ long list of kids haven’t been praised enough for dealing with everything that has come their way.

And he believes much of the good work their summer signings have done has gone unseen.

But McDowall knows that’s still not enough for some observers.

Chief executive Charles Green has already branded this side Rangers worst EVER.

That’s despite having the title won by the start of April.

And McDowall admits he’d hate to think what might have happened if that hadn’t been the case.

He said: “It would have been a disaster. Me, Durranty and Coisty might have been strung up by now.

“I’d hate to think what might have happened.

“But we have achieved it — and by a big margin.

he hardest thing in football is getting over the line.

“We were expected to do it this year and we accept that.

“But the boys in the changing room still had to experience what it was actually like to achieve it.“They’ve been knocked by just about everybody. They really deserve better “We’ve had a bit of stick for not playing fluent football, but you have to give your opponents a bit of respect and credit. Nobody is going to roll over and let us play like Barcelona every week. It doesn’t happen.

“It doesn’t matter what league you go to, games are tough until we get a goal ahead.

“We play cup finals here, regardless of which league we’re in or which tournament it is.

“It’s a cup final because of the weight of the badge and the size of the place.

“So we’re delighted with the achievement because we’ve been involved in a few and this, by a mile, has been the hardest one.

“We pulled off a few hard ones with Walter as manager.

“I remember being on holiday thinking ‘my God, that was unbelievable winning that title’.

“But this takes it to a different level, what has happened and how we achieved it.”

SPL signings Ian Black, David Templeton and Dean Shiels have been accused at times of not delivering for the Ibrox club.

But McDowall insists such criticism is way off the mark.

And he claimed they played a key role in helping the kids grow into the role of Rangers stars.

He said: “When we came here in June, we had six players and we had to assemble a squad fairly quickly, which we did with a mixture of young players and good players from other teams.

“Given the chance, I’m sure pretty much anybody in Scotland would sign these players, boys who have come from SPL clubs.

“When you come to a place as big as this, it’s a hard enough job to come and settle in yourself, never mind come and try to help a group of young players who have just been put in the team as well.

“I’m sure you can reel off players who have come to both Old Firm clubs in the past and can’t handle it. That tells you how hard this is.

“We’re talking good players. They don’t become bad players just because they come to Scotland and everyone else is rubbish around them.

“There are plenty of boys come here who are absolute stars. They handle it because they have the right mentality.

“It speaks volumes for our players that, under pressure, they’ve done a fantastic job this season.

“The Blacks, the Templetons, the Shiels’... if they were coming in to a Rangers situation in the past they would have been cut some slack because there would have been people taking some weight off them.

“Unfortunately for them, they didn’t have that luxury.

“They came into the situation, and they did it knowing the situation. They have produced as well.

“And you don’t win a league by 24 points if people aren’t producing.”

McDowall’s own future was cast into doubt earlier this week amid reports Green had told McCoist to sack him and first-team coach Ian Durrant.

But he said: “I’m not going to discuss myself or Durranty or anything outwith football. I hope you appreciate that.

“We’re 24 points ahead. We’ve won the title.

“I’m just here to congratulate our team on a great season.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2QOCGfCLF

We did well to assemble a team in a short space of time, but we bought a lot of short term players who have not proven their worth, we could have won this league with most of the youth players who are a better standard than most of the players in this league.

Our football has to improve as do our signings, we need to get the fitness of the team right as at times we look to be blowing out our arse.

Overall its a job well done but we need to improve in every area of the club.

I don't want Rangers to play like barcelona............... have never said I want Rangers to play like any other team.........just to see my team play a standard of football and no matter what Kenny goes on about that hasn't been on show for the majority of the season.

Kenny stop the paper talk and concentrate in getting a team that can win and win with good football.

the coaching staff need to shut up stop making excuses and focus on actually improving the team they have been given a 2nd chance they should accept it not critisise the fans for not being happy with the dire standard of football, they can't use youth as an excuse only McKay, MacLeod and Aird have been given a proper chance we have probably had one of the oldest starting XI's on average this season if anything we haven't given youth enough of a chance.

What are we saying here, Kenny is not allowed to have an opinion,

This is the usual, Rangers wheel Kenny out as its his turn to face the press, reporters ask question, Kenny answers as truthfully as possible, papers report what is said in the manner they see fit, Rangers fans slag Kenny.

Nice!!!!

I dread to think what would have happend if the scum hadn't won their tainted title.

Seriously Kenny's only stating the obvious if we hadn't won the title it would have been our 2nd biggest disaster and Ally & co would have been walking.

Hard to think how we wouldn't win this league.

If we had been in the 2nd, QOS would have gave us a good run for our money, we would have won of course and I think everybody would have been happier.