Def Mid

nvager

At this level we dont need a specific defensive, or holding, midfielder. In a 4-4-2 formation the two central midfielders work it between them, when one goes forward to assist the forwards, the other naturally holds back a wee bit in case we lose the ball and the defense needs help on the break.

I dont believe we need a specific tactic to include a def midfielder if our 2 central midfielders are both good players who are fit enough for the job.

I think its Black or Peralta for DM but I would prefer to see Macleod and Law if I'm honest. Surely we should be trying to move Hutton on though? I cant see him getting any game time

I think we will see Black or Peralta as the defensive midfielder and Macleod and Law in front of either of them.

Hows about

Templeton ...........Macleod.............Law

.......................Black/Peralta................

Templeton at centre mid?

Or are Templeton and Law both wide midfielders? If that's the case I think there'll be massive gaps in the centre. I can't see that working at all.

Actually having the possibility of good options is what appeals to me more, as being a DM having looking at Peralta and investigating him a bit more he isn't purely a DM he seems to me to be a bit more box to box midfielder and if reports are true that Coisty is hoping for a more attacking mind frame from the players then if Peralta is played his defensive line might actually be in the oppositions half. :)

Actually having the possibility of good options is what appeals to me more, as being a DM having looking at Peralta and investigating him a bit more he isn't purely a DM he seems to me to be a bit more box to box midfielder and if reports are true that Coisty is hoping for a more attacking mind frame from the players then if Peralta is played his defensive line might actually be in the oppositions half. :)

Hope you are right, but he has been playing RB for Honduras.

Hopefully he is a box to box midfielder and a tiger like Gatusso.

I'm sure I read something not that long ago that Black was looking forward to playing in that position due to there being more midfielders in our team. Whether Ally gives him what he wants or not, he's certainly putting in his bid.

Nonsense about us not needing a defensive mid playing. Once the usual tackles start flying in this will be one of our most important positions. We might be looking like a good attacking formation on paper, but as we found out last season once the boot starts going in that can disrupt any midfield. Need someone solid in there who can win the ball, hold it up and bring in the creative guys. Black failed miserably at this last year but he was targeted and not given much support. Could see Peralta being good alongside him if he lives up to expectations.

Depends completely how Ally wants to set his team out, if goes 4-4-2 then I agree with above poster there I'd no need for a def/holding midfielder but two good quality players. One goes, one sits in simple.

I'm a fan of 4-2-3-1 which would give more scope for a ball winner, a box to box and a creative forward thinking midfielder, hopefully with the signings we can look forward to some nice attacking play

Maybe something like this

- McLeod Law -

- Aird/Crawford Templeton/Sheils Little/McKay -

- Daly/Clark/jig

Just need our CB situation sorted and we should be flying