Gers behind us for years - Lennon

72barca

How much did both teams take in regarding transfers, oh and stick up their wage bills for both times as well if you can

Goodness knows, i can't be bothered looking all that up. I do know Ecks net spend was -£12m. That makes the job he done all the more remarkable. We were more than financially stable when he left.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were also third in a two horse race :(

Very true, strange given the quality and depth within the squad at that time.

Waterreus, Lovenkrands, Ferguson, Kyrgiakos, Prso, Buffel, Novo, Ricksen, Hemdani, Hutton and Boyd all played on average 30 games for us that year. 5 defeats before Christmas and far too many draws cost us, 2 early domestic cup exits made the season even worse as well. I think Eck has proven since that he is poor football manager. He will be lucky to get back in the game now.

Very true, strange given the quality and depth within the squad at that time.

Waterreus, Lovenkrands, Ferguson, Kyrgiakos, Prso, Buffel, Novo, Ricksen, Hemdani, Hutton and Boyd all played on average 30 games for us that year. 5 defeats before Christmas and far too many draws cost us, 2 early domestic cup exits made the season even worse as well. I think Eck has proven since that he is poor football manager. He will be lucky to get back in the game now.

Agree. I even think calling him 'poor' is being nice. He's just bog rotten.

At the end of the day it's all speculation. It may well be that we stabilise and see a dramatic improvement going into next season. In any case I don't think we will go any more than one season without a serious challenge to the top tier title, I think DURING our first season back there we will improve a lot.

Hmmm. Who's surrendering ? :blink:

Spastic post.

It's called being realistic.

Going into our first season demanding and expecting to win the title is mental given how far we are behind our main challengers both financially and also on the pitch.

We will require money, luck and average players to turn into very good players.

Ally has been given a hard time in these leagues but even the most judgemental fans must realise it's going to take time.

It's strange with old firm matches I can't tell what will happen from one to the next, yet some people can tell how we will do in two years time. Always the Gers.

Some ignore the the many possible variables involved; different owner(s), further investment, development of present players, new signings, players motivated to create history, more stable board to mention but a few. Much easier to reach for the sky with both hands like surrender monkeys.

It's called being realistic.

Going into our first season demanding and expecting to win the title is mental given how far we are behind our main challengers both financially and also on the pitch.

We will require money, luck and average players to turn into very good players.

Ally has been given a hard time in these leagues but even the most judgemental fans must realise it's going to take time.

A sensible post.

You must be surrendering!

I think our current squad would finish comfortably second in the Scottish Premiership (but well behind Celtic),when we get up there (hopefully having improved) I think we'll finish similar to that first season and properly challenge second and third.

But on the point of a so called ''sugar daddy'' investor leading us to a title challenge with a big investment I desperately hope this does not happen,we need to learn lessons,we need to simply only spend what money we're bringing in and ideally produce more players like Lewis McLeod as the focal point of this policy.A club with 38000 season ticket holders,possible future european revenue and good links for sponsership should be able to operate (and compete well enough on the park) sustainably like this.

I think half the problem is our signing policy of this season. Whilst its fantastic to see the likes of Daily, Law and King Billy playing and scoring it kind of sticks in my throat the missed opportunity we have had.

How many clubs have been given a chance to start with a clean slate? (in the lowest division granted) No debt, huge fan base, top notch facilities etc etc

I for one would have been happy if we invested heavily in scouting networks and youth development rather than SPL quality players at this point and actually looked to mould a team from youth and with a proper playstyle realised throughout the different setups. Now we have a vastly superior squad which will stroll the next two seasons but will need a massive refresh when we hit the SPL.

I for one would have been willing to sacrifice 'glory' in the short term for a more stable and sustainable future.

I might get pelters here for this but how much is our captain Lee McCulloch walking away with each week? was this really the way to go?

BBB. You might have been happy to go with a long term growth plan but Ally had to GUARANTEE promotion. Look at the pelters he got and is still getting when we are WINNING. Unfortunately, Rangers fans in general are not noted for their patience as regards results on the pitch. I too would have loved to see a youth policy bringing through youngsters for the future but would much rather see us winning promotion. And for all those saying we would have put up with not getting promotion if we could see signs of progress for the future - aye right!

BBB. You might have been happy to go with a long term growth plan but Ally had to GUARANTEE promotion. Look at the pelters he got and is still getting when we are WINNING. Unfortunately, Rangers fans in general are not noted for their patience as regards results on the pitch. I too would have loved to see a youth policy bringing through youngsters for the future but would much rather see us winning promotion. And for all those saying we would have put up with not getting promotion if we could see signs of progress for the future - aye right!

The squad we had last year was more than capable of winning this division as well of that I have no doubt. Would we have had slip ups? probably but would be the making of some of the youngsters in my opinion.

There's absolutely no good reason why we can't win it first season back with 3-4 top quality players added

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And to add to it Lennon the bigot can go and crawl back to his IRA hole in Lurgan after we take over at the top and get him sacked and his team gets destroyed because they are pish to be honest.

The biggest issue our team will face when back in the Premier league is adjusting to the tempo of the game at that level. Looking at the players currently in the team lets look at where we need to strengthen Goal we are okay. Right back Faure needs to continue developing. But a right back is a priority or try Peralta back there. . Centre back Jig's jig will be up, Mohsni will be fine, Gasparatto should be blended into the side but a quality full back is needed, Wallace is the best left back in Scotland no issues there. Black has come on in droves this season after a poor start he should be fine for 2-3 yrs when we are back, Law and Macleod no worries, Templeton too hit and miss don't know if he is still recovering from injury with not having a full preseason but he is Premier league quality, McKay continues to develop and he will be fine. As I see it we therefore need possibly a quality right back, full back and striker. 5 million for that and we should be fine. Another 2-3 million to fill out the squad and remember the days of bringing in costly foreigners is over. There are very few Scots not currently in the team I would be going after. .