McCoist: Don't bank on title next year

Any manager irrespective of what level they are at,are always wanting to improve their team.You have to take what he says in the context he desires.Remember a notable manager years ago saying you spend every penny of your budget,and ALWAYS look to improve .At Rangers there are no second places,so its constant win,win.

Just need to look at the flak he is getting at this present time,in one Final,the chance of the Scottish,and miles ahead in the league.

If he was just a manager then that would be fair enough but ally knows more than any of us what we have been through, how we got there and the financial situation at the club! Ally needs to get away from this attitude that he wants to spend everything he can get! He should be planning longer term and the board should be making him or getting someone in who can! Ally makes a no secret he is a fan first and foremost so surely he wants what's best for the club and not just himself?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part of my post where you disagreeing with? I said we have a chance of winning a treble, not that we will win it or that we are even likely to win it.

You jumped in saying that we definitely won't - presumably after you had consulted your runes.

I was disagreeing that we have a chance of winning it, doesn't take a psychic to see that the way we are playing both teams I mentioned could and probably would put us away comfortably.

We can't even beat Stenny or East Fife.

I wish the reactionary mongs on here would read beyond the headline. He's not just talking about next year, but the year(s) after as well.

Yet he signed foster, smith, daly, cribari, kyle, sandaza who would all be too old and/or too shite for years after

Coupled with continually playing McCulloch, shoving our best young talent wide left to accommodate his signings of black and law, and his refusal to give nicky clark 90 mins pre injury so that daly could stay on for the whole game

Ally cannot see five yards in front of him nevermind years down the line, his pathetic attempts to resign kenny miller is another example of this

Man for Man everyone in our squad should be able to walk the Championship next year (few obvious exceptions: Cribari, Smith, Foster, Peralta etc) and with some added youth, it should be a doddle.

Ally doesn't have much faith in our squad to be honest, nor has he let go of the "fuck" we need to spend mare money!" mentality.

So if you are admitting that these guys aint good enough, then we obviously need to strengthen

We need a new CB a new RB and a new striker.

We clearly need to strengthen the team, that does not automatically mean we need to spend lots of money, and from the quotes, Ally said nothing about money.

But aye, use this as a stick to beat Ally with.

He is spot on.

We need to get rid of some dead wood and strengthen in some key areas, everyone to a man thinks Faue and Foster are shite, so we need a new RB.

Everyone agrees that jigs legs have gone, so we need a new CB.

But...but.... He's a "Rangers man" therefore he can do no wrong?

Honestly mate I couldn't give a fuck now I just want him gone.

He has made us unbearable to watch for far too long and the fans will leave in droves if this so called manager is kept much longer.

Cheers for everything Ally but you are ruining the football on the park. Get the title and step down before you are made to look even more out of your depth

Yet he signed foster, smith, daly, cribari, kyle, sandaza who would all be too old and/or too shite for years after

Coupled with continually playing McCulloch, shoving our best young talent wide left to accommodate his signings of black and law, and his refusal to give nicky clark 90 mins pre injury so that daly could stay on for the whole game

Ally cannot see five yards in front of him nevermind years down the line, his pathetic attempts to resign kenny miller is another example of this

It's better than the dribbling mongs in this thread who can't seem to make out those funny, inky black, blurry things in between the quote marks.

Oh my, imagine how quick you'd be on that if it was the other way about.

Nice way to speak about fans eh?

I wouldn't give a fuck if someone called me that, I've been called worse.

Read this thread, the manager has been called all sorts based on a misleading headline. There are far too many reactionary types on here who can't read and understand things properly.

I'd say that with the squad available to him right now Ally should be able to put out a team and motivate a team to win promotion next season. But it seems to me he thinks very differently. He and the coaching staff and the CEO and Board all know full well it gets much more serious now. It's all very well (up to a point) the Manager saying no guarantees of the title next season, and its all very well the CEO saying recently (as I seem to recall) that 5 years from now we'd 'start' to become competitive again. These sorts of warning shots across Supporters' bows are fine and dandy when they (Ally and the CEO) remind us downstream that the told us so. A salve to the conscience in the hour of failure. But if they fail these these sorts of statements they have made would be utterly irrelevant. A situation where there might a prolonged stay in the Championship (ie more than one season) or a delay in an effective challenge for the top league (eg within 2 seasons of return) may not sit well with many Supporters. The pressure in increasingly on them and they are bound to know it. So it all comes back to money - serious money. On the one hand and in the immediate short term (ie during April) we get the 120 day review announced which, if it is credible, will hopefully be clear to the Support that it would put the financial management of the Club in good order for a sustainable future. So far so good. But the other part is where and when does the Club generate big investment money to fund the on-field ambitions? Whether or not that means Ally gets a chequebook sooner or later may be a different question but a chequebook is surely bound to be needed. If by (say) Nov this year there is a risk that promotion might not be won or might only be won with some additional quality players then I would like the Manager to have a war chest available to get the players needed to get promotion at first pass. If we lose quality players in the Summer transfer market and cannot replace them with comparable or near comparable quality in time for the start of the season then that 1st pass promotion out of the Championship would become much more difficult. IMO it would be ideal if a decent budget could be generated but only used when we have to use it. If there is no cash or insufficient cash to get decent players then I do wonder how many of us would really be prepared to spend a few seasons in the Championship.

To be fair to Ally again the headline is bullshit. He says he would rather strengthen which is what any manager would say and he also says its not guaranteed we will win which is what alot on here have said too. If Ally didn't say it was guaranteed we would win the league this season then he's not going to say it about next season either. The headline is pish and designed to anger us.

And it worked going by this thread.

he didn't even say he wanted more money,just that he wanted to strengthen the team, he wouldn't be doing his job if he was not constantly looking to strngthen and improve the squad.

IMO we need to get rid of some of the deadwood and replace them, which is strengthening the squad, it doesn't have to cost us millions.

I wouldn't give a fuck if someone called me that, I've been called worse.

Read this thread, the manager has been called all sorts based on a misleading headline. There are far too many reactionary types on here who can't read and understand things properly.

Dribbling mong.

Don't bank on the title next year unless we can splash the cash says Rangers boss Ally McCoist

RANGERS remain on course to continue their rapid rise through the divisions this season but their manager sees trouble ahead - unless they are allowed to spend.

Ally McCoist: "Without strengthening ahead of next season there would be no guarantees."

ALLY McCOIST last night refused to take sides in the battle for Rangers.

But the Ibrox gaffer warned he can’t guarantee a Championship title triumph next season unless he is allowed to spend.

At the end of another week of claim and counter-claim, McCoist wouldn’t comment on Dave King’s fan-backed call to arms against the current board.

He said: “I do not want to comment. What will be, will be. I’ll just handle the football.”

However, the Rangers manager insisted his side’s anticipated quickfire rise through the lower leagues may stall without a substantial war chest.

When asked if he could mount a title push next season with the current squad, McCoist said: “I wouldn’t like to do that.

“I’d far rather be in a position to strengthen to move forward, not just for next term but longer term. Without strengthening ahead of next season there would be no guarantees.

“The chief executive Graham Wallace and the board share my concern because they want to get us back to the top level of Scottish football.

“The Championship is a lot stronger than a lot of people think. The majority of the teams are full-time.”

Gers can take another stride towards the League One title with a win at East Fife today.

And McCoist is only focused on delivering results on the pitch. He said: “It’s the one thing we can have a big bearing on. The best thing that we can do is get the fans three points.”

I'm not banking on anything during his tenure as boss.

Zip.

He should be sacked if he fails to gain automatic promotion (winning the league) if we have to settle for a play-off then it's simply not good enough.

I don't think you will find a single person disagreeing with that.

I'd say that with the squad available to him right now Ally should be able to put out a team and motivate a team to win promotion next season. But it seems to me he thinks very differently. He and the coaching staff and the CEO and Board all know full well it gets much more serious now. It's all very well (up to a point) the Manager saying no guarantees of the title next season, and its all very well the CEO saying recently (as I seem to recall) that 5 years from now we'd 'start' to become competitive again. These sorts of warning shots across Supporters' bows are fine and dandy when they (Ally and the CEO) remind us downstream that the told us so. A salve to the conscience in the hour of failure. But if they fail these these sorts of statements they have made would be utterly irrelevant. A situation where there might a prolonged stay in the Championship (ie more than one season) or a delay in an effective challenge for the top league (eg within 2 seasons of return) may not sit well with many Supporters. The pressure in increasingly on them and they are bound to know it. So it all comes back to money - serious money. On the one hand and in the immediate short term (ie during April) we get the 120 day review announced which, if it is credible, will hopefully be clear to the Support that it would put the financial management of the Club in good order for a sustainable future. So far so good. But the other part is where and when does the Club generate big investment money to fund the on-field ambitions? Whether or not that means Ally gets a chequebook sooner or later may be a different question but a chequebook is surely bound to be needed. If by (say) Nov this year there is a risk that promotion might not be won or might only be won with some additional quality players then I would like the Manager to have a war chest available to get the players needed to get promotion at first pass. If we lose quality players in the Summer transfer market and cannot replace them with comparable or near comparable quality in time for the start of the season then that 1st pass promotion out of the Championship would become much more difficult. IMO it would be ideal if a decent budget could be generated but only used when we have to use it. If there is no cash or insufficient cash to get decent players then I do wonder how many of us would really be prepared to spend a few seasons in the Championship.

Fuxakes. Ever heard of paragraphs?