Walter Won't Rule It Out. But...

Walter Smith says he can't rule out the possibility of returning as Rangers manager - but isn't looking to take the job.

View image | gettyimages.com

Walter Smith has told Sky Sports that whilst he can't rule out a return to manage Rangers, he isn't necessarily looking to take the job.

Dave King's consortium finally won control of Rangers on Friday, and he has little time to dwell as the club certainly need a new manager soon.

Ally McCoist resigned in December, whilst his replacement Kenny McDowall is currently serving out a notice period having also resigned in January.

The chaos in the dugout hasn't helped Rangers' quest for promotion to the Scottish Premiership, and many want King to make an appointment sooner rather than later.

The bookmakers have the likes of Billy Davies, Stuart McCall and Felix Magath in the running, but former boss Smith was somewhat coy on the topic when speaking to Sky Sports, suggesting that he wasn't really looking to return to management but couldn't definitively say no to his former club.

"Well, I'm four years away from it now!" said Smith. "That's always a difficult one. I've said to them that I'll do anything I can to help them, but I don't know whether that's stretching it a little bit. You never rule anything out, but I'm not looking for it in any way, shape or form."

67-year-old Smith had two spells as Rangers manager; the first, he won the Scottish Premiership title seven years in a row, leading a period of domination for the club in the 1990's - whilst also winning six domestic cups, too.

After spells with Everton and Scotland - as well as a period as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at Manchester United - Smith returned to Ibrox and won another three league titles, as well as another five domestic cups.

Smith is a legend at Ibrox, but having left the club almost four years ago, it seems unlikely that he would make another return - unless King gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he didn't want to be considered then he should have kept quiet or if not quiet then to firmly signal a 'no'. He's not done that so the signal is he is willing to be considered. Ultimately its up to him. But for fuck's sake lets not have a courtship dance over this. Either do it quickly or don't do it at all. There is utterly no point in trailing a line of 'maybe's' into and through the media and then drag this on and on until it becomes a 'what if' story. Maybe means 'yes -willing'. Not saying 'no' means 'yes -willing'. Its up to King, Murray and Smith. This can be solved in a 10 minute phone call. Either do it or close the option off. But it should be done quickly.

Don't think he's a long term option as manager but if we willing to replace Kenny McDowall until the summer I'd take him, he would have the presence and experience to hopefully guide us out of the Championship, but long term I'd be happy to see him on the board or some sort of senior role (Director of Football maybe?)

Walter deserves better than to be asked to turn this team round, a tornado couldn't turn them round.

Love him to death, but feel we must move away from the past.

Would hate to see him take on the job and fail, as this team has failed us, he's too good for that.

:7325:

Walter deserves better than to be asked to turn this team round, a tornado couldn't turn them round.

Love him to death, but feel we must move away from the past.

Would hate to see him take on the job and fail, as this team has failed us, he's too good for that.

:7325:

Agree with this but who would be better to take us to the end of the season ?

Would need far more time than he would have to turn it around this season. I'd hate him to take over and fail to get us promoted. His status as legendary manager would take a bit of a hit.

Thanks for all you've done for us Walter, but please don't put yourself in that position.