You Can't Put A Price On This

hammer93

Over the last few years the biggest danger to our club imho is losing a generation of fans?

On my own experience I have 2 nephews who no longer wished to go to the games or wish to wear the new kit, all of a sudden it was Barcelona, Chelsea, Brazil strips they wanted to wear?

How many more cases out there must their be?

Now with W&W at the helm and our footballing philosophy changing I can now see kids wanting to go and see the Rangers in their new kits?

I believe the arrival of MW has saved us from losing this generation of up and coming young bears.

For me you cannot put a price on this as it us invaluable.

It was fucking dire, fair play to the Bears who endured that week after week and kept going back.

I took my kid to his first match when Ally was away, he's daft on us now and nearly made me roll the car trying to hug me when I told him I'd got us tickets for Hibs the other day.

Good times.

I fully believe that we were in a lot of danger of losing a generation the way things were going.

Kids don't want to sit and watch the shite we were being forced to stomach, especially with the 101 other things they can be doing nowadays. All my daughters are now asking me when I am going to take them to a game (which is a problem having a season ticket!) - last season they never asked to go once.

Let's hope to God we never find ourselves in this position again.

You should have a word with your glory hunting nephews.

Twice we've gone 9 years with no titles and that never cost us a *generation of fans*.

I think that's unfair, those years you speak of teams like Barcelona had no where near the coverage we get to see of them these days. I'm Rangers daft but I can 100% understand why a young kid would find it easier to support the likes of barca more than watch Rangers these days.

Twice we've gone 9 years with no titles and that never cost us a *generation of fans*.

True, but we were winning cups, playing in Europe and faced the filth many a time. The last 3 years have been unlike any others in our history. There is no comparison between the barren years you mention and what we have experienced since 2012.

Don't talk bollocks mate if an 8yr old can tell you what he is watching is rubbish then we have a problem.

If kids at that age can be swayed that easily then again that is a problem.

And seriously have a word with yourself accusing kids of that age of been glory hunters.

To many alternatives these days, and the media is the worst for focusing away from Scottish clubs.

Expect we'll pick lost and neutral fans up again as we become more successful. But the lure of the Chelseas. Barcelonas etc is difficult to match.

Maybe if we concentrate on the fans game time experience like the German's have done it could improve but pishy SPL two horse races and lack of any real competition in Scotland make it difficult.

Maybe by the time we are right back at the top European league style competitions based on Champions and Europa leagues will have been extended to provide a viable tier above domestic football and we'll be part of it. Here's hoping........

In a totally different era... nowadays the best of the best football is just a button away, every day. It's a lot more difficult to compete with that now than it was in the 60s or 80s.

I was lucky I took my younger brother (9) to a few games last year and as it was only 3 or 4 for the whole season it was a day out so easy to keep him entertained but I can imagine that kids that were going a lot would very easily get bored with the crap football then they go watch barca,Real etc banging in the goals big difference IMO now that we are playing good football and always chances coming of a goal hopefully easier to keep kids interested and wanting to go to the games.

Good football teams attract people who want to watch good football. We are now a good footballing team as we move into European competitions we will attract more people. We will be fine if we keep doing as we are. But, the OP is right about lots of teams being easy to watch/follow; we need to give them quality football on their doorstep.

Grandsons first game v St mirren , he's 6 , now wants to know when we going again . My 2 sons drove up from London with him and he loved it !!

I'm in the states at the moment and missed the game but to see my boy in the SJR with his Rangers Jersey and scarf on on Facebook with a smile

as wide as the Clyde made me proud . Another bluenose enters the fold .

Difference being younger fans at those times did not have saturated coverage of overhyped leagues or teams to watch such as Barca, radio and newspaper coverage at best was what we dealt with. Different times require different measures.

We are losing young fans that don't live in a Gers household because we don't play in the EPL or the CL, if you choose to let your kids support another team when you are a Bear you really should have a word with yourself.

It's not a case of supporting these teams is to do with the players ie messi, Hazzard,neymar etc etc.

5yr ago my brother watching a messi wonder goal he said to his wee lad "come and watch the greatest player in the world" his kids reply was "no dad Steve davis is the best player in the world" for me that was priceless, hopefully the next generation will have players they can regard as their greatest away from the messis of the world.

I took my 2 boys to Peterhead game, oldest one is 10 and was singing and dancing before the game in the wee gers club, youngest one is 9 and looked bored, I asked him what was wrong, he said "I would rather be on the pitch playing", future player hopefully

I thought the football had nothing to do with it and the low attendances were because of the board?

I suppose in a sense the low attendances was because of the board.

A few thousand boycotted because it was that board in charge, the rest because the football was shite......... but the football was shite because the board refused to sack Ally and bring in a good manager.

I think the numbers are pretty telling. We had a complete reshuffle of th board at the last EGM, and the Rangers men got in. At that point, some people were convinced that everyone would return because the spivs were out. In fact, only a few thousand returned at that point.

I reckon the official boycot never ever cost us more than 3-4k fans at most.

As soon as the team started playing good football, the masses returned, and quickly. This to me, shows that the vast majority of empty seats at Ibrox was due to the football on display, and not much else.

I reckon we have a lot more sell out games to look forward to this season, long may it continue.

It used to be the rule that, if there was a Scottish copetitive match being played, there could be NO TV coverage of any other match whilst the game was in progress. Was a bit of a bugger at times as an East Fife game could keep Rangers off the tele but it was for the benefit of the Scottish game as a whole. Maybe time to reintroduce this rule.

I suppose in a sense the low attendances was because of the board.

A few thousand boycotted because it was that board in charge, the rest because the football was shite......... but the football was shite because the board refused to sack Ally and bring in a good manager.

I think the numbers are pretty telling. We had a complete reshuffle of th board at the last EGM, and the Rangers men got in. At that point, some people were convinced that everyone would return because the spivs were out. In fact, only a few thousand returned at that point.

I reckon the official boycot never ever cost us more than 3-4k fans at most.

As soon as the team started playing good football, the masses returned, and quickly. This to me, shows that the vast majority of empty seats at Ibrox was due to the football on display, and not much else.

I reckon we have a lot more sell out games to look forward to this season, long may it continue.

Totally agree gogzy, that was a point I was trying to make yesterday, if the style of play becomes the norm I can see us packing out Ibrox for most games.

If we can achieve this then financially the gate and match day money will at least off set against the pish TV revenue we are missing out on.