Spurs Blog On Our Loanees

http://windycoys.com/2015/08/loanee-update-august-2015/

Nathan Oduwa & Dominic Ball – Rangers (Scottish Championship)

Mark Warburton has used his relationship with Spurs to acquire two youngsters who are ready to make the next step. As a Spurs fan and co-founder of the NextGen Series (which Spurs participated in) Warburton has a real appreciation of Spurs’ academy, and worked wonders with Pritchard last season.

Oduwa and Ball both played League Two football last year and – whilst the quality of the Scottish Championship might not be substantially better – the experience of playing in front of 51,000 fans every other week will benefit them enormously.

Nathan Oduwa will get Rangers fans off their seats. He is a very tricky customer, possessing terrific close control and dribbling ability. He sometimes appears to not be in full control of the ball, but will then somehow emerge from the tightest of spaces with it still at his feet. His finishing certainly needs some honing, but there are not many 19-year olds that are complete players. Oduwa mostly plays on the left wing, but could do a job as a number 10 or even a number 9 if called upon.

Dominic Ball is a robust centre-back who is competent in possession. He undoubtedly has ability and reads the game well for a 20-year old. My concern is that he can be a little rash when defending – sometimes committing himself too early in an effort to be proactive. He will come across some wily players and if he can play a full season, it’ll do him the world of good.

It’s easy to turn your nose up at our players going to the Scottish Championship, but you must remember that matches are only one part of a loan move – players are training all week, and so the coaches that they are with must be of sufficient quality to have an impact. Mark Warburton is a fantastic coach for our young players to learn from (as we saw with Pritchard last year) and the Spurs hierarchy clearly have enormous faith in him.

Ball revealed in this interview that he trained with Warburton when he played for Watford between the ages of 11 and 15, and that will certainly make the transition easier for him.

An interesting line about matches/training. With a coach like Warburton playing matches will only be a part of a player's learning of the game. I think these players will develop under his coaching as well, just like our young players will benefit as well. I think Ball will find it hard to get into the team, but hopefully a chance comes his way.

Nice read, thanks for sharing.

If Oduwa is being taken on to play left wing, I feel a bit sorry for Mckay. He's finally getting a chance with us and is showing some promise. Still, competition is never a bad thing, and perhaps Templeton is for the off. Also, maybe Oduwa can offer us more than Mckay. Either way...exciting times :)

Do you think Oduwa will walk straight into the team. If so , is that not detrimental to our youngsters Walsh and Mckay. Sorry, can't remember which side of the pitch Oduwa plays.

Yes and no, Warburton has stated numerous times he likes a tight squad with plenty of competition. So while that stops Walsh or McKay walking into the team, it makes them try harder and improve in training so they can get a shot.

Do you think Oduwa will walk straight into the team. If so , is that not detrimental to our youngsters Walsh and Mckay. Sorry, can't remember which side of the pitch Oduwa plays.

I think Oduwa will stroll this league. He'll make the left-wing his own and become a fan favourite. This'll be the end of David Templeton as a Rangers player.

An interesting line about matches/training. With a coach like Warburton playing matches will only be a part of a player's learning of the game. I think these players will develop under his coaching as well, just like our young players will benefit as well. I think Ball will find it hard to get into the team, but hopefully a chance comes his.

It will be exciting to see how players develop, rather than just tick along from one game to the next, as we've had for almost a decade, now.