Should We Be Looking To Build A New Stadium Next 10 Years?

MacBoyd

I think once the average attendance's are steady and have champions league football we should do an upgrade to ibrox, until then just simple maintenance! Imo keeping the main stand and then upgrading the other 3 is the best idea, keep the history of the main front but still a modern stadia with a +60k upgrade!

Can see this happening in the future, mainly to incorporate more/improved hospitality etc.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only incentive to increase the capacity as high as 60k will come if a European League is formed. I would suspect a prerequisite for admittance will be a 60k stadium but that is probably 10 years away if it ever happens.

If we get back to regular CL group stage participation, we may want to increase capacity by a couple of thousand but I suspect that would be targeted at corporate packages.

Wash and a brush-up until then.And nail that wee bit of trim back on to the SJ roof.

Obviously the Main Stand will remain and be preserved for future generations but, even with all my memories of the rest of the stadium, it would be fantastic to modernise and bring Ibrox fully into the 21st century.

The stadium in Brisbane, Lang Park/Suncorp Stadium, is probably the best rectangular ground I have been to. The concourse between upper and lower tiers is open to the pitch so rather than the food and drink outlets being under the stands they are on huge wide open spaces where you can still see the pitch. It's a great design feature.

http://populous.com/project/suncorp-stadium/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang_Park

http://www.brookfieldmultiplex.com/files/images/projects/scs002_1316753189.jpg

Tarriers are terrified of any plans for us to redevelop and increase Ibrox. They know their grip on Scottish football depends on it. We outgrew a 50000 seater stadium 15 years ago but failed to grow with the worldwide game. We stood still, the rest got bigger. When we finally awaken from our coma we will need it, i have no doubt.

Tarriers are terrified of any plans for us to redevelop and increase Ibrox. They know their grip on Scottish football depends on it. We outgrew a 50000 seater stadium 15 years ago but failed to grow with the worldwide game. We stood still, the rest got bigger. When we finally awaken from our coma we will need it, i have no doubt.

We can't fill our current stadium enough to warrant a expanded one.

The rest is just uber nonsense.

Since we increased the capacity to 50k 20 years ago we haven't managed a season where we averaged that, there is no requirement for a larger stadium

We can't fill our current stadium enough to warrant a expanded one.

The rest is just uber nonsense.

I believe that is down to circumstance. There is no doubting the numbers. The fans are there but they have been treated with utter contempt by the club for the past 20 years. It's the new boards job to bridge the gap that Murray, Whyte and Green created.

Sad seeing Rangers fans with so little ambition. Very sad indeed. Will be the same fans who demand we compete with Celtic whilst living within our means as well despite the obvious financial gulf.

Since we increased the capacity to 50k 20 years ago we haven't managed a season where we averaged that, there is no requirement for a larger stadium

Ever the defeated. I just said above the fans were treated with utter contempt by the club. Our club and brand have to grow and with the times too. There is no doubting there are fan numbers out there, it is the boards job to get them to games. We will not and cannot compete with Celtic whilst there is such a huge financial gulf between the clubs. Their crowds will be back up next season on our return, Ibrox will be packed every other week but it will be them who sell the extra 5 to 10 thousand every second week and on European nights. That adds up and has done since they rebuilt their ground. Over the course of time the numbers are enormous. £50m or thereabouts every decade.

I reckon 50k is enough ,when I first started going to games it back in the day before the club deck and corners etc filled,back then when football was more affordable and we had the sourness buzz factor we had a season ticket waiting list of approx 10k with a capacity of 36k,

We do have a massive fan base though but a fan base that doesn't either go to games very often or at all

These guys need to be targeted in other ways to improve revenue ie more targeted merchandise and better access to watching games at home

The expense of adding another 10k or so seats is not really justifiable,we would still be getting the same level of paying fans to watch the games with 10 - 15k empty seats more often than not

Saying that,bears have to be congratulated for their support of the club over the last 30years where we have consistently achieved the highest average attendances in our history

Fair enough back in the day 80 odd thousand would turn up on occasion but the next week only 15k would be there

Ever the defeated. I just said above the fans were treated with utter contempt by the club. Our club and brand have to grow and with the times too. There is no doubting there are fan numbers out there, it is the boards job to get them to games. We will not and cannot compete with Celtic whilst there is such a huge financial gulf between the clubs. Their crowds will be back up next season on our return, Ibrox will be packed every other week but it will be them who sell the extra 5 to 10 thousand every second week and on European nights. That adds up and has done since they rebuilt their ground. Over the course of time the numbers are enormous. £50m or thereabouts every decade.

:lol:

The only time they will sell out is when they play us, sorry mate but you're fucking deluded if you think otherwise

:lol:

The only time they will sell out is when they play us, sorry mate but you're fucking deluded if you think otherwise

They don't have to sell out, anything over 45000 and they are making more money than us, anything over 50000 which they have had on European nights is money we can never earn.

Over the last 18 years they have averaged 53000, we have averaged 46000. 7000 tickets x 19 league matches over the course of the 18 years at say £20 a ticket is £47,880,000. Fag packet maths maybe but still shows the huge gulf that exists. If we had increased back then it will have paid for itself and some by now.

They don't have to sell out, anything over 45000 and they are making more money than us, anything over 50000 which they have had on European nights is money we can never earn.

You should go watch that mob, you know more about them than you do Rangers ffs.

When we fill our stadium week in week out and have people locked out of games then we can maybe think about increasing our capacity.

Next season when we are back in the top league there's no chance the smellys will average higher attendances than us...they might give false figures to try and fool people to believe this but I think we all know their support is shit and only turn up to see the Rangers or the odd CL night when they face their terrorist loving barca pals

Nothing against rebuilding 3 sides of Ibrox if anyone's got a spare £200 million lying around.

It's fine as it is, though. Just needs a wee lick of pain here, and a wee bit of TLC there.

I have spoke with my auld man a few times about us knocking down three stands and rebuilding into more of an oval shape, but the simple fact is it would run into the millions and quite frankly all the old girl needs is some tlc this summer and she will be good as new.

You should go watch that mob, you know more about them than you do Rangers ffs.

When we fill our stadium week in week out and have people locked out of games then we can maybe think about increasing our capacity.

Were tims locked out when McCann rebuilt their ground? He showed ambition and a vision to fans and they fell for it. Full houses every week for a full decade. Funnily enough it was Walter Smiths return and our success at the end of that decade that saw their crowds go down. We have played in numerous matches in the last 20 years where we could have done with an extra 10-15 thousand seats. 2 old firm matches a season, Man Utd, Villarreal, Munich, Barcelona, title deciders........and the rest. I don't buy into the reason because we don't fill it every week we don't need to increase. I don't buy that at all.