14 Team Spfl

WCPRANGERS1

2 leagues of 20 would do. It's ok saying there would be loads of meaningless games, but there's that anyway.

Everyone plays twice a season. Once each home and away.

It's an incentive for the second league of 20 to really push and get the top flight revenues against us and Celtic.

It's all about money, though, and the top flight teams would lose too much taking away extra Old Firm games. Would be like Turkey's voting for Christmas.

Would this save Dundee United? surely it's at least a seasons notice?

I`m sure with Falkirk it happened mid season when they changed the rules. They will do as the please.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1987/88

A reduction of the Premier Division from 12 clubs to 10 saw three clubs (Falkirk, Dunfirmline Athletic and Morton) relegated. The only promotion place went to Division One champions Hamilton Academical.

Falkirk were 10th.

Ridiculous decision. The bottom team should have went down and the championsof the first came up.

It would be great if Morton came up through the play offs. The Spl would hate it, especially if one of their "bigger" teams went down. Motherwell hopefully.

2 leagues of 20 would do. It's ok saying there would be loads of meaningless games, but there's that anyway.

Everyone plays twice a season. Once each home and away.

It's an incentive for the second league of 20 to really push and get the top flight revenues against us and Celtic.

It's all about money, though, and the top flight teams would lose too much taking away extra Old Firm games. Would be like Turkey's voting for Christmas.

Would this save Dundee United? surely it's at least a seasons notice?

It will never happen. I actually like it. Look how many we have had last day winners. I can think of at least 5. Plus I would miss the 4 old firms.

I'm at the stage now where I couldn't care less if Dundee United were relegated or not. I want us to beat everyone that's scudded us while we've been away from the top, so as far as I'm concerned they can restructure the leagues tomorrow if they want.

If there was a helping hand going about them it would've happened last year when hibs n hearts when down.

Aberdeen were saved by Falkirk? not having a big enough stadium, not sure if rules have changed since.

. I believe you are correct. However if they want to force this then it's only fair that all teams eligible for play offs go to the higher league and the team that's bottom is relegated.

It's simple IMO

18 team SPL - no daft splits. 2 go down automatically. 1 goes into a playoff.

24 team championship that has Old Firm B teams. 2 auto up and the next 3 also enter play off (excluding B teams)

Maybe make the championship start mid July and play twice a week until mid October to ease fixture congestion later on

What an inept shower.

Is this how they make major decisions, by copying other rotten leagues every couple of years?

You couldn't make this up.

A joke of a league, run by clowns.

The will have their friends in the Beggar friendly media talking this up ,just as they did with the New league cup format .

Isn't it ironic ,we are just about to come up .Hibs and Utd may be in Championship .

Oh yeah .Petrie and Thompson are in control of both these clubs

Paranoia .Don't you just love it .

What about 14 teams, play everyone home and away which gives you 26 games, keep the split but 7 and 7, play home and away again, makes it 40 games and keeps 4 old firm games in place to keep the TV companies happy

Bearing in mind the league cup group stage will now start in mid July, a 40 match league campaign is just too much.

See if it's an 18 team league remember this: It's four less games a season, but more importantly it's four less games the also rans have to play against us the or the bheggers, so it's potentially 12 less points they would be behind us on, and four less games to play aswell. It would make the league much closer.

See if it's an 18 team league remember this: It's four less games a season, but more importantly it's four less games the also rans have to play against us the or the bheggers, so it's potentially 12 less points they would be behind us on, and four less games to play aswell. It would make the league much closer.

Yep, it's a potentially going to make things a bit more interesting. Which is why I like the 16 team league idea personally, fewer games, each of them more important, smaller gaps in the table because there are fewer points to come by and fewer games against top sides. Rangers/Celtic would still almost certainly finish at the top (once we recover), but it would feel closer throughout the season.

Anyway, any small step towards making the league bigger is a good step. They aren't going back once they get up to 14, they'll never have the votes to go down to 12 again after they do this. So while I don't think this 14 team idea is perfect, and I think it will have to be reformed again in the future, at least it's a baby step forward.

Twice they were saved.

I think it was Aberdeen and also Hibernian who were saved when they were due a relegation in the 1990s.

Falkirk were possibly the team penalised twice though. Which as RedSox has been saying is obviously a shocking injustice for them and they have no doubt suffered financially over the years. Poor bastards.

It's amusing to read the comments on the article posted. It seems fans of other clubs think this is being done for Rangers' benefit. :lol:

of course they will. Its the main reason i would be against the implementation of these changes in time for next season, regardless of how good the changes actually could be for the game. I'll bet you DU fans are surprisingly quiet on this issue though....