14 Team Spfl

WCPRANGERS1

What about 14 teams, play everyone home and away which gives you 26 games, keep the split but 7 and 7, play home and away again, makes it 40 games and keeps 4 old firm games in place to keep the TV companies happy

i have for a very long time wanted a 14 team league, however a 7 and 7 split, will not work I.M.O. means 1 team idle every week of split.

i would split the top 6 giving a total of 36 league games, this is by far enough games for those teams in Europe (albeit not usually there very long)and/ or supply International players.

the bottom 8 would play more games 40 in total but this gives the smaller clubs increased revenue

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely to happen next season.

I heard the Alloa guy on the radio the other night (spfl board member) he was asked about increasing top league and he said that the tv deal was based around current set up and this would make change difficult in short term.

Thats not to say they cant rustle something ip in a hurry if it suits certain influential parties mind!

How is having 2 more teams going to change anything?

The issue with Scottish football is a grass roots problem, when I stayed in the States the high school football stadium was probably bigger than Berwick Rangers stadium, there were three college stadiums with 40-60,000 capacity. There were dozens of kids football and baseball teams within a few miles of my house, every school had a football, "soccer", basketball and softball teams. Kids are focused on sports from a very young age and encouraged to keep at it with things like Uni Scholarships etc and things like the NFL college draft.

Then you come here and you barely even see kids kicking a ball about any more, theyre in playing the PS4. I dont even know if my high school even had a football team, they certainly didnt encourage people to come see the games or anything. Theres no sort of college teams, at least not in the same way as they are in the US.

Even if Scottish Football did get a big boost in cash from BT sport, even if it was the same money as the EPL, it would just make us collapse because we dont have the youth to sustain it.

And they think adding 2 more teams to the SPL, probably reducing the amount of OF games, is going to help.

I think it was Aberdeen and also Hibernian who were saved when they were due a relegation in the 1990s.

Falkirk were possibly the team penalised twice though. Which as RedSox has been saying is obviously a shocking injustice for them and they have no doubt suffered financially over the years. Poor bastards.

Poor bastards nothing! Other teams put their resources into improving their facilities. Falkirk thought that their inadequate facilities would be overlooked so only put money into the team. They knew the rules but hoped they would be ignored in their favour. They deserved all they got (or didn't get).

Poor bastards nothing! Other teams put their resources into improving their facilities. Falkirk thought that their inadequate facilities would be overlooked so only put money into the team. They knew the rules but hoped they would be ignored in their favour. They deserved all they got (or didn't get).

but they were also banned from groundsharing. Unlike the bheasts who were allowed to.Fine if its one rule for all , which clearly isn`t the case.

I would welcome restructure as long as it removes the split and is nothing like the plan the Aberdeen chairman was in tears over which could potentially tally have led to no relegation / promotion as bottom 4 SPL and top 4 division 1 went into a play off for the4 SPL positions

Bearing in mind the league cup group stage will now start in mid July, a 40 match league campaign is just too much.

After the initial season I would be hoping we were back in Europe, we wouldn't be in the group phase by then.

Is the idea of the league cup groups not to do away with pre season friendlies, like the juniors do with what was known as the "Jackie Scarlett" league cup.

2 leagues of 20 would do. It's ok saying there would be loads of meaningless games, but there's that anyway.

Everyone plays twice a season. Once each home and away.

It's an incentive for the second league of 20 to really push and get the top flight revenues against us and Celtic.

It's all about money, though, and the top flight teams would lose too much taking away extra Old Firm games. Would be like Turkey's voting for Christmas.

Would this save Dundee United? surely it's at least a seasons notice?

I think it states the relegated team is still relegated even though more would come up.

I don't know what the number would be, but I'd be tempted to do something similar to the MLS. A regular season, which awards a "fans cup" or something, then a championship play-off between the top 4 clubs for the title and European spots. Pretty crazy I know, but we need something radical in Scottish football to garner interest once again.

I don't know what the number would be, but I'd be tempted to do something similar to the MLS. A regular season, which awards a "fans cup" or something, then a championship play-off between the top 4 clubs for the title and European spots. Pretty crazy I know, but we need something radical in Scottish football to garner interest once again.

Finish 1st yet might not win the league, shite idea.

Has to be 18 team league and just home and away instead of this 4 times a season pish.

Totally agree. This should be the way forward, but the chairmen can't see past milking the blue pound as much as possible which means keeping 4 times a season. It is pish - they should be looking to improve the product on the pitch and give fans what they want.

A 16 team league playing 30 games a season would be my preference.

Playing teams 4 times in a single league season is just too much. I'd rather play each team twice, once at home and once away. I reckon average attendances would improve as well.

This and revamp both cups.

A 16 team league playing 30 games a season would be my preference.

Playing teams 4 times in a single league season is just too much. I'd rather play each team twice, once at home and once away. I reckon average attendances would improve as well.

Of course it would, there would be 8 games less....:lol:

The spfl needs to be as large a division as possible. We should be looking for a top league of 16-18 teams. Does that mean more shit games to begin with...absolutely.

But the strength of a large league is that allows your middle sized clubs to build a side without fear of relegation. If the EPL was a 12 team league, would the likes of Everton, spurs, Swansea, ever be able to build a side without that fear?

The short term mentality of Scottish football is deeply rooted in our league structure

whatever happens and I agree it should be a 14 club set up,we have to win this championship title and also the petrofac cup.we can`t have the rest of Scottish football saying our team couldn`t win these diddy competitions while we played in them!!!

It's simple IMO

18 team SPL - no daft splits. 2 go down automatically. 1 goes into a playoff.

24 team championship that has Old Firm B teams. 2 auto up and the next 3 also enter play off (excluding B teams)

Maybe make the championship start mid July and play twice a week until mid October to ease fixture congestion later on

Gets my vote.simple and the academy boys from us and the tinks get to play professional football against grown men instead of lads their age,but it won't happen.cos that would mean Scottish football would at last move forward, and those corrupt bassas at hampden can't let that happen. Imagine hammering celtic home and away in 2 separate leagues in the same season.fuckin fantastic!!!

No Surrender

Rab

What about 14 teams, play everyone home and away which gives you 26 games, keep the split but 7 and 7, play home and away again, makes it 40 games and keeps 4 old firm games in place to keep the TV companies happy

7 and 7 is only 38 games (12 after a split)

1 team wouldnt have a game every week after the split (or 2, 1 in each section)

Of course it would, there would be 8 games less....:lol:

Throughout the league though. Away games sell themselves for our fans. It would only be 4 less home games a league season and I think that would see an increase in the demand for season tickets which in turn would hopefully lead to an extension of the capacity of Ibrox sometime down the line.