If we had an openly gay player..

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might see a few more piroettes and rainbow flicks, so am all for it. 

In all seriousness though, they would get constant abuse from opposition fans and possibly some of our own. And am sure weall remember what happened to the last guy to "come out" ....

We don't have people coming out with being straight, so there's no need for someone to declare that they're gay. There's no up side to it. 

5 hours ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I have an equally stupid question, what happens if one of our past heros suddenly came out and said all my life I've been taking it up the wrong un?

My money's on Karl Svenson :P

I would like Black to be in that situation, although he does enough talking out it I doubt he would have time to get anything up it.

1 minute ago, eosmhdo said:

I would like Black to be in that situation, although he does enough talking out it I doubt he would have time to get anything up it.

lol, maybe that's why black got such a hard time on the field, his ex lovers taking out their annoyance with him through tackling etc.

Must have dated a few refs as well, some of those cards were just rediculous, hell hath no fury like a fag scorned blacky baby

8 hours ago, Gooseman said:

Why is it even an issue?  I really don't care if a football player is gay or not,  as long as he conducts himself in the manner expected of a Rangers player both on and off the park. 

Conducting themselves in the manner of a Rangers player doesn't include bumming other guys.

35 minutes ago, left winger said:

Karl Svenson was your hero?

I've never seen any footballer with a head shaped like a 50p try and head the ball so much.

His determination was heroic, to head that ball and see it deflected in any direction but the one wanted, most others would have given up, most others would have given in -  not Karl. 

10 hours ago, MasterD said:

Conducting themselves in the manner of a Rangers player doesn't include bumming other guys.

What people do in their private lives is of no concern to me.  What we expect from any player of our club is to uphold the standards that are synonymous with our great club.  When they are part of this club they must conduct themselves exemplary all times. 

I couldn't care less. It isn't illegal and what people do in their private life is their business. Over the years i've no doubt we've had gay players who have stayed in the closet because of a fear of how people would react. The only openly gay player I ever remember in Scotland was Justin Fashanu with Airdrie (I think he committed suicide?) who had a pretty hard time because of it. 

No doubt we have many fans who are gay, probably some on this forum too!

The only thing I care about is if they give their all for Rangers and represent the club properly off the park. 

3 minutes ago, CF2 WINNIE said:

he would have to play in behind the striker and we have plenty straight players that can do that. Seriously wouldn't matter a fuck.

I'm thinking it will be more likely to be a goalkeeper, so he can stand back and watch all the lads arses throughout the game. I guess players tend to be straighter the further up the field you get. :001:

12 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I'm thinking it will be more likely to be a goalkeeper, so he can stand back and watch all the lads arses throughout the game. I guess players tend to be straighter the further up the field you get. :001:

It's a scientific fact that a gay persons wrist is limper than a heterosexual's and therefore will not make a good goalkeeper because of said limpness. 

I don't think that among the wider fanbase it would be more difficult for the player to be accepted at all. I think that first and foremost the vast majority of Rangers fans care about is whether the player does a good job for the team and at the very least puts in the effort required even if their ability isn't the highest quality.