Next seasons budget

Personally, I would rather see a steady sensible progression of the existing business model. We are working from the foundations up and that takes time. So for me I would rather see a sustainable evolving/improving  team than see us try to buy the title. Attempting to buy success can bring its own negative pressures. I will be content with a steady as you go, keep the debt down, let's work hard approach that puts us in the top 4 next season. If we are competitive within the top 4 then anything is possible. But do recognise we do need some extra recruitment - as others have said 3 key players should suffice.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

I would be surprised if we ever paid that much for a player for the foreseeable future. Wages are the big issue for us. We will need sign potential and then rely on what happens at Auchenhowie; and then look for a return.

Mate no offence but Auchenhowie is a red herring even with the good ethos being implemented - best player Hardie - he's on loan to Raith he won't be scoring goals in the Champions League - we need to get realistic somewhere along the line and spend if we want to get where we wanna go 

8 minutes ago, Beaujolais said:

Personally, I would rather see a steady sensible progression of the existing business model. We are working from the foundations up and that takes time. So for me I would rather see a sustainable evolving/improving  team than see us try to buy the title.

I don't think we have a support that will accept not being no 1 for a few seasons or however long it takes.

We united when we were demoted but we couldn’t stop that happening, this is going to be a different kettle of fish.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

That’s a valid point of course. There are many obstacles around bringing in a player of that ilk.

We have what Championship clubs can’t have and that’s the chance of playing European football. We used to have the £ power to go with it but now we are relying on players wanting to play at the higher level in Europe to be the big lure to our club.

We can’t spend what we don’t have but if we are seen to be priced out of players and don’t compete/overtake the wee Glasgow team then the pressure will mount on both King and Warburton.

In reality not one of us here knows how much it’s going to take so we are just trying to base it all on our gut instinct or what has gone on before. Some are more positive than others but we are all after the same thing. Let’s just hope the guys with the money have a clear sustainable plan for the next few seasons.

Everything you say there is correct, but it also reflects the unbalanced nature of football finances, which, ironically, do not operate on an equal playing field. 

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Of course it doesn't guarantee anything - it gives you a much better chance. 

In your opinion. There are numerous examples in football of spending money not bringing success.

It comes down to trusting the management and club to find the value. MW has said we will go for £1m+ players if they offer value on and off the pitch. If those players are not available or don't, in the management and clubs view, offer that value we won't. This is the model we are operating with.

Just now, AlBear85 said:

In your opinion. There numerous examples in football of spending money not bringing success.

It comes down to trusting the management and club to find the value. MW has said we will go for £1m+ players if they offer value on and off the pitch. If those players are not available or don't, in the management and clubs view, offer that value we won't. This is the model we are operating with.

You say it's my opinion I say it's pretty much fact - if it were as easy as having a good manager and spending pennies and winning a league against Celtic and getting to CL group stages then everyone across Europe would be doing it 

hey I'm not knocking you guys opinions - I'm on a minority on this one - always have been every time this spending debate comes up on here 

I just think yous are in for a rude awakening if that's the route we go down 

Just now, The Godfather said:

I don't think we have a support that will accept not being no 1 for a few seasons or whoever long it takes.

We united when we were demoted but we couldn’t stop that happening, this is going to be a different kettle of fish.

I get that completely- and that's my worry. We have with MW a method that if given time I am certain will bring rewards- however I cannot see us being in a position whereby we can fund instant success without risking financial well being- and as soon as we as a support start turning on MW or each other, then I fear it might be goodbye MW. 

I've never had this properly verified, but apparently, according to a journalist I had a conversation with, Le Guen found that Rangers had a problem with the nature of the finances of the club etc, and the hunger and ambition of the fans. From what I was told, he found those two factors to be incompatible. The club will always aspire to the highest ambitions, but how realistic are we being in the context of our financial situation? As someone alluded to above, how are the board going to cope if we don't get success whilst living within a proper budget?

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I don't think it will take too much in ways of transfer fees for us to get to the CL or EL groups, we made the final in 2008 on a squad that was built on around £20 million in transfer fees. Half of that was on the likes of Thomson, Cousin, McCulloch, Beasley, Naismith and Whittaker. I don't think it would take £10 million to get players at a similar level to those 6. The problem is we had Ferguson who cost £4.5 million from Blackburn and someone of that quality I don't think we will see for a while personally. 

I don't think we will be doing it that way for some time yet, if at all. We will be signing mainly potential; and we will be trying to make our own players the youth up. Mark Warburton suits where this club sees its strategy from now on; he hopefully can rely on a scouting and coaching network that can deliver success with low costs.

If you want to buy 3/4/5 players in the £2million pound plus bracket they are going to be players that are attracting other teams attention not just ours.If that is the case which I think would be most probable then unfortunately for us we are not going to be able to compete salary wise even with English championship teams.We have to be realistic here with where the club is and the league/s that we play in and the money that can be generated.I don't think any of the Rangers board fancy throwing their hard earned chasing somethings which are beyond us and always will be. Ive heard it said on here so many times about a plan b.Whats the plan b if as someone pointed out we throw 6/8/10 million at players and don't win anything next season.There are not guarantees so whats plan b.Throw another 6/8/10 million at it or get rid of Warburton as that would surely be the cry amongst some.Men with money are in the business of making money not in the business of throwing it down the drain.That is the reality of where we are.We don't have some billionaire or even multi millionaire who is going to let his or hers fortune fritter down the Ibrox drains. Dominating Scottish football is our first priority and if that brings some European bonus money in along the way so be it.The club cannot and should never go back to spending multi millions chasing some pipe dream in Europe and that's not being negative it is being realistic.If anyone thinks that the days of spending 20 million to maybe get 20 million back are going to return I think they should have a good reality check.

Apathetic towards King and have zero time for Mini, my personal views just for the sake of transparency.

That said a quick look at Staff Costs over the past few years, specifically the reductions is encouraging.  If they keep this up and we win the title in the next two years, they may win me over.

Year ended 30 June              Staff Costs 

2013                                    17,900,000

2014                                    14,355,000

2015                                    13,290,000

2016                                      ??????

Don't think we need to spend massively to win the SPHell but will likely need investment to optimize  our chances of having a decent European campaign which is where the money is.  

Scottish football for Rangers is like being trapped in a Maze with no hope of escape.

Our best hope is that MW sees Europe as an incentive to hang around and that we can persuade him to hang around for a few (five?) more years or longer.