Next seasons budget

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

IMO mate if we really want to be where we belong I.e Champions League group stages then I honestly think that figure is more realistic (30m) 

i know someone's gonna mention Molde but you always get teams like that in the mix but spending on quality does bring success - the key is spending wisely 

I don't want to go out and sign a Michael Ball for 6 million after a taigs defeat to appease the fans but IMO we need 5/6 players in the moulds of Bougherra, Davis, Mendes, Cueller etc that would be the bulk of that figure 

people scoff at the thought of 30 million but I think it's accurate 

if it were as easy as signing guys from Accrington or Hearts for 60k the whole world would be using this blueprint 

Each to their own mate but I honestly can't see the figure being £30m. I would be very surprised if it took us £30m to get there.

I reckon if we signed a Jelavic, a poor man's N'golo Kante and a CB that would eat babies we would honestly win the league. I genuinely believe Fod, Wallace, Kiernan or Wilson, Holt, Mckay, Waggy, Ohallaron etc are good enough for the top league.

For the CL does it not depend on our draw? Or has this country's disastrous co-efficient meant we have to play teams like Bayer Leverkusen and Monaco for a place in the groups? If that's the case a can see where £30m is needed but if its poorer teams like Aalborg and Bratislava I think £6m this summer with a further £6m throughout the season in preparation for the CL would see us in the groups.

17 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

How much do you think we will increase the season ticket prices next season? I expect at least 10%

Should get bigger revenues from match days, merchandise, sponsorship and TV deals. Not sure if it will be enough to cover the costs and transfer fees right enough.

I wouldn't mind contributing an extra 10% on my ST if it meant more money for MW to work with on top of the money King will hopefully give him. I'm probably 75-80% pro King but if MW is given £4-6m to spend in the summer I'd call that fair tbh.

3 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Each to their own mate but I honestly can't see the figure being £30m. I would be very surprised if it took us £30m to get there.

I reckon if we signed a Jelavic, a poor man's N'golo Kante and a CB that would eat babies we would honestly win the league. I genuinely believe Fod, Wallace, Kiernan or Wilson, Holt, Mckay, Waggy, Ohallaron etc are good enough for the top league.

For the CL does it not depend on our draw? Or has this country's disastrous co-efficient meant we have to play teams like Bayer Leverkusen and Monaco for a place in the groups? If that's the case a can see where £30m is needed but if its poorer teams like Aalborg and Bratislava I think £6m this summer with a further £6m throughout the season in preparation for the CL would see us in the groups.

there is no chance of £12 Million being made available to spend on the team. No chance.

Let's be honest, whatever we end up spending in the summer it won't be enough for some people no matter the results.

As long as Warburton remains happy with the boards support, as he has been throughout, then I'll be happy. I trust MW judgement.

20 minutes ago, chris182 said:

I think the manks are going to spend this summer in an attempt to consolidate their position. They must surely have been putting aside funds over the past 4 years knowing they wouldn't need to spend big to win the league?  I can only imagine the amount of cash they must've been banking through the constant sell-outs at the girodome :lol:

Probably a bit tongue in cheek from you:lol:. But the media would have you believe these clowns are rolling around in cash. Hell even some of their fans believe the tables have turned on us and for every £5 we spent their gona spend £10. :lol: They have nowhere near the money the media claim they have. They had done what we done years ago by buying to appease the fans and 60-75% of them have been flops. Simunovic cost them about £5m and hes played about 3 games all season. They have eventually ran out of their whole team being good enough for the prem (no laughing) and are having to whore out an 18 year old kid whose started about 10 professional games in his puff. 

Their fans will go into meltdown when we beat them and further when they don't bring in ££££ players in the summer and it will be brilliant to watch.

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

there is no chance of £12 Million being made available to spend on the team. No chance.

£6m in the summer, a further couple to strengthen/cover injuries during January if needed and a further £3m next summer to strengthen for potential CL qualifiers? 

I don't think it'll be far away from that, only if its needed though.

The budget the club operates will have to be a proper budget. Because of what we have gone through in the last few years, and particularly the last decade and a half, then there is a huge extent of goodwill that people do not want us to spend what we don't have. We will have to spend within our means, and if we have debts they will have to be leveraged well against what have the possibility of handling. The reality has set in for many of us, and so in that context our ambitions on the park will have to be measured. I'd rather lose a title living within our means than winning a title with a debt and expenditure that the club would be either unable to sustain, or which we would need CL football etc to enable us to sustain. Next season is going to be difficult in terms of a budgets etc, but we should first and foremost hope to see the club run properly, and anything else is a bonus. The days we can splash the cash are well over. Football has moved on, and in a certain sense we have gone back the way. The task for the board will be to look at more and more ways of raising revenue, whilst keeping an eye at expenditure; and then to equate those. It is an unenviable task in reality, especially at a club like ours where ambition will never diminish.

Just now, Prso's headband said:

£6m in the summer, a further couple to strengthen/cover injuries during January if needed and a further £3m next summer to strengthen for potential CL qualifiers? 

I don't think it'll be far away from that, only if its needed though.

We are still hemorrhaging cash. We made a loss of around £7m last year . Even with good season ticket sales this year, I just dont see us recouping that money and then going on to spend £9 Million to £12 Million on players. Much as I would like it,  Dave King has shown me absolutely nothing that suggests this is going to happen - quite the opposite in fact.

The focus will be on breaking even and we are not going to do that spending tens of millions on players.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

We are still hemorrhaging cash. We made a loss of around £7m last year . Even with good season ticket sales this year, I just dont see us recouping that money and then going on to spend £9 Million to £12 Million on players. Much as I would like it,  Dave King has shown me absolutely nothing that suggests this is going to happen - quite the opposite in fact.

The focus will be on breaking even and we are not going to do that spending tens of millions on players.

I disagree, and I'm not necessarily a fan of Dave King or anyone else. But we have a situation where operating costs will always be a problem, and I think that particular matter is being dealt with in the only possible achievable manner. The problem the club will have is the dependence on CL and European money, with what is effectively bonus money being one of the biggest sources of revenue, and that revenue sustaining the club for only one season. That is a situation that compromises the financial structure not just of Rangers, but other similar clubs. The fourth most lucrative league in Europe is the English Championship; that explains the difficulties we face. We are being priced out of football, and sooner or later this issue will have to be looked at by the wider football bodies. I think that football finances need to be more balanced than they are at the moment for the good of the game, and no one is properly addressing it. This is the world we are about to enter again next season, so it is relevant to us. 

16 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

Let's be honest, whatever we end up spending in the summer it won't be enough for some people no matter the results.

As long as Warburton remains happy with the boards support, as he has been throughout, then I'll be happy. I trust MW judgement.

That for me is the key - aslong as Warburton feels he's getting backed in the job he wants to do then we need to roll with it - it just comes down to individual expectations. I was us dominant over Celtic and CL group stages. If it can be done on a 2 million budget with players from Scotland that McParland identifies then happy days - I just think it's a valid opinion expecting some decent investment to help the progress as its been promised (the levels obviously open to interpretation)

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I disagree, and I'm not necessarily a fan of Dave King or anyone else. But we have a situation where operating costs will always be a problem, and I think that particular matter is being dealt with in the only possible achievable manner. The problem the club will have is the dependence on CL and European money, with what is effectively bonus money being one of the biggest sources of revenue, and that revenue sustaining the club for only one season. That is a situation that compromises the financial structure not just of Rangers, but other similar clubs. The fourth most lucrative league in Europe is the English Championship; that explains the difficulties we face. We are being priced out of football, and sooner or later this issue will have to be looked at by the wider football bodies. I think that football finances need to be more balanced than they are at the moment for the good of the game, and no one is properly addressing it. This is the world we are about to enter again next season, so it is relevant to us. 

We should never depend on CL money to break even -  that should be a non starter. To be honest everything else you say I probably agree with but there will be no short term fixes re the state of footballing finances throughout europe so we are going to have to live within our means for the foreseeable future. However, the point I am trying to make is that if we are expecting DK to suddenly part with vast amounts of cash for players  -  and some of the previous post were talking  tens of millions of pounds -  then I just dont see it. Its not a personality thing - its just based on what i have heard him say to the press.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

That for me is the key - aslong as Warburton feels he's getting backed in the job he wants to do then we need to roll with it - it just comes down to individual expectations. I was us dominant over Celtic and CL group stages. If it can be done on a 2 million budget with players from Scotland that McParland identifies then happy days - I just think it's a valid opinion expecting some decent investment to help the progress as its been promised (the levels obviously open to interpretation)

I do expect some investment in the team. I just dont see it being the sums some are talking about. I think if we can get the losses to an acceptable level for H1 2016 then we will probably see about a max of £1.5- 2 Million spent on players - but thats at an absolute maximum. I am basing this on the bids we put in for players in January.

The task of cutting our still huge losses while trying to invest in the team is being too glibly being treated by some on here and they are setting unrealistic expectations that will never be met. 

Will that be enough for MW? I dont know. I hope so. He should certainly be aware of the financial constraints the club is under.

13 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The key will be if people want to believe MW when he says he is happy with the boards support. Some haven't wanted to this year.

I expect investment this summer, as there was in January and last summer. A decent investment on transfers this summer for me, would be a few million on half a dozen players not the 10's of millions some on here want. This all depends on MW targets though with the help of McParland and Robertson.

Remember the key word for MW has been, and will be, value. Not spending for spending sake.

Just now, cushynumber said:

We should never depend on CL money to break even -  that should be a non starter. To be honest everything else you say I probably agree with but there will be no short term fixes re the state of footballing finances throughout europe so we are going to have to live within our means for the foreseeable future. However, the point I am trying to make is that if we are expecting DK to suddenly part with vast amounts of cash for players  -  and some of the previous post were talking  tens of millions of pounds -  then I just dont see it. Its not a personality thing - its just based on what i have heard him say to the press.

I agree with everything you say. For me the CL money ratio to our standard sources of revenue is completely irrational. As a rather crude example, imagine we had a job where we earned 20,000 as a regular wage, but we had the possibility of gaining a bonus of 30,000 extra in any particular year that we performed to an unusually but achievable high standard. We would have difficulty with our expenditure, and it would be a financial rollercoaster from one year to the next. What I envy is those clubs from the English championship who get a pot of money that can sustain their expenditure for three or four seasons, even if they get relegated the following season. Rangers, and clubs like Rangers have a particular problem which seem to be being ignored. The challenge is how we can get our revenue and expenditure to work in three or four year cycles. When that is run in tandem with the very serious ambitions that make this club what it is, then whoever is in charge has to manage that. It's an unenviable task.

10 minutes ago, AlBear85 said:

The key will be if people want to believe MW when he says he is happy with the boards support. Some haven't wanted to this year.

I expect investment this summer, as there was in January and last summer. A decent investment on transfers this summer for me, would be a few million on half a dozen players not the 10's of millions some on here want. This all depends on MW targets though with the help of McParland and Robertson.

Remember the key word for MW has been, and will be, value. Not spending for spending sake.

I think we can all agree that if we can clear up with little spent as possible then that's for the best 

as I said, I just think it's too simplistic to think we can guarentee it because we have Warburton and McParland - we seem to be a unique challenge - no ones had to do it this way before. Maybe I'm being negative but I consider myself a realist and maybe traditionalist in the way I think you need to pay for quality 

and that's even allowing for Warburtons eye for a bargain, development record and football ethos 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I don't want us to spend big on few players, £2m etc. We must stay within our budget.

I know some don't want us to sign players from Scotland but I mentioned before that I would be happy enough spending most of the budget on Winnall and Nicholson. Logan on a free, Pawlett/McGhee on small fees and possibly Abraham on loan from Chelsea would be decent start. We badly need full-back cover and Logan/McGhee would be ideal especially as the latter can also play CB.

How would 2m on a good player be beyond our budget though? Struggling to get my head round this 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

How would 2m on a good player be beyond our budget though? Struggling to get my head round this 

What about his wages? If a player costs 2m, then he could go to the Championship  for the same price. Even in that league we will find it hard to compete in terms of salaries. 

6 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think we can all agree that if we can clear up with little spent as possible then that's for the best 

as I said, I just think it's too simplistic to think we can guarentee it because we have Warburton and McParland - we seem to be a unique challenge - no ones had to do it this way before. Maybe I'm being negative but I consider myself a realist and maybe traditionalist in the way I think you need to pay for quality 

and that's even allowing for Warburtons eye for a bargain, development record and football ethos 

It works both ways. Spending money doesn't guarantee success either. This is football, there are no guarantees.

In our position it's about being smart, finding value and limiting the gamble as much as possible. We have the ideal manager in this regard IMO.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

What about his wages? If a player costs 2m, then he could go to the Championship  for the same price. Even in that league we will find it hard to compete in terms of salaries. 

What about wages? Players need paid even if it's a good quality Bosman 

we have got paranoid over money and start over analysing every detail and think pushing the boat out for a bit of quality is going to make us go bust 

for all King and Paul's faults they're not stupid when it comes to money - budgets will be adhered to 

if we are panicking over the thought of a 2m player and the wages then we are better staying where we are and forget the progress 

1 minute ago, AlBear85 said:

It works both ways. Spending money doesn't guarantee success either. This is football, there are no guarantees.

In our position it's about being smart, finding value and limiting the gamble as much as possible. We have the ideal manager in this regard IMO.

Of course it doesn't guarantee anything - it gives you a much better chance. 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

That’s a valid point of course. There are many obstacles around bringing in a player of that ilk.

We have what Championship clubs can’t have and that’s the chance of playing European football. We used to have the £ power to go with it but now we are relying on players wanting to play at the higher level in Europe to be the big lure to our club.

We can’t spend what we don’t have but if we are seen to be priced out of players and don’t compete/overtake the wee Glasgow team then the pressure will mount on both King and Warburton.

In reality not one of us here knows how much it’s going to take so we are just trying to base it all on our gut instinct or what has gone on before. Some are more positive than others but we are all after the same thing. Let’s just hope the guys with the money have a clear sustainable plan for the next few seasons.

Just now, K.A.I said:

What about wages? Players need paid even if it's a good quality Bosman 

we have got paranoid over money and start over analysing every detail and think pushing the boat out for a bit of quality is going to make us go bust 

for all King and Paul's faults they're not stupid when it comes to money - budgets will be adhered to 

if we are panicking over the thought of a 2m player and the wages then we are better staying where we are and forget the progress 

I would be surprised if we ever paid that much for a player for the foreseeable future. Wages are the big issue for us. We will need sign potential and then rely on what happens at Auchenhowie; and then look for a return.