After Match Thoughts

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, 908 said:

I just noticed that the 2nd round (when we could play celtic) is on August 9th, the week before they play their Champions League qualifier.

Sorry, the week before Lincoln Red Imps play their Champions League qualifier.. the League Cup 2nd round isn't usually that early

The whole thing will be done and dusted by the end of Nov this year to allow for the winter break,

And whoever said Miller was always offside must have been watching a different game as we wee only caught offside as a team once or twice

54 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not sure how Hill with Kiernan or Wilson will work but it has to be better than the current pairing.  Dave Smith commented early on last season Kiernan Wilson would not work.  Out anyone would argue with him now.

I said the same thing three months into last season and got slaughtered on here. We will not win the league this season with these two as the CB pairing.

Really enjoyed the game. Some great play going forward again, wobbly as a baby deer at the back.

McKay really is too good for Scottish football. Both O'Halloran and Windass look like they will rip defences to shreds this season. Our options in the front 5 positions are phenomenal when you consider there are a couple more to come in.

Forrester was wasted playing centrally. I really think he needs to be further forward or wider. Miller was below par today. I don't think he will play nearly as much this season though.

Holt and Halliday are going to get a lot of sitting down time.

I hate to see any players fail at Rangers but I think it is game over for Kiernan and Wilson as first choices. They are poor both in the air and in their decision making. I am very comfortable when they have the ball at their feet but not when it is at the opposition's feet. I also thought both fullbacks were beaten too easily today.

Kranjcar looked superb. Really looking forward to seeing Barton and Rossiter.

Match day thread was the usual car-crash. Must remember to steer clear this season. The tantrums are depressing.

First real competitive  and win 2-0. Happy with that as it was a big difference from the last time we played them.

Defence needs attention but if the strikers score more goals for us,  then the opposition can score 5,

so long as we get 6.

They kept a clean sheet today so that will do for me. Not saying it will be good enough all season

but it's good to be back. And winning against the haters.

Would love to have got hold of that 'well fan pwrick being smart with the ball when Wallace went to get it.

But I reckon he showed their support up by his silly antics.

1 hour ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Holt doesn't look the same player as last season you would think he would step it up considering Barton, Rossiter, Windass, Crooks & Kranjcar have all come in and play in his position.

expect Holt and Halliday to both be on the bench a lot this season.

13 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

We won't win fuck all with that pairing.

We did win the Chapionship with that pairing with the least amount of goals conceded shared with Hibs and Falkirk = 34

We did win the Petrofact with those 2 in defence

Granted they are certainly not the solid foundation I would like, I really don't think that they are as bad as some make out imo :pipe:

18 minutes ago, thebluedoo said:

We did win the Chapionship with that pairing with the least amount of goals conceded shared with Hibs and Falkirk = 34

We did win the Petrofact with those 2 in defence

Granted they are certainly not the solid foundation I would like, I really don't think that they are as bad as some make out imo :pipe:

That says it all about the level of opposition. We did only have the second highest budget in Scottish football after all, with no one else coming close.

Different ball game altogether now.

14 minutes ago, Big_dado said:

Thoughts: Every game will be a fcking  roller coaster when teams hit us on the counter, Motherwell could easily have scored a few had they taken their chances. 

And how many chances did we have?

Positives 

that won't be our starting 11 and we still got the win 

McKay looked so in control all 3 subs showed they will be starters 

disappointed in Kieran (most of their chances revolved around his positioning/decision or marking) 

think Halliday and holy will struggle to get regular game time with our additions ( for me not a bad thing) 

tav got got so much quality going forward if he can improve defending attributes we will have some player 

good days work 

I thought overall we played decent for our first competitive outing. The first half we were slow and didn't move the ball about as good as we could and the defence was at all sorts. The second half was a big improvement and we dominated the game. The midfield did good in the second half and that helped bring our forwards into the game more. We do need some cover for the CB's though as they are pretty slow. I thought the subs that come on all did a good job for us. Decent first game for us considering many were missing too. 

I thought forrester did ok andimproved as the game went on.unlucky with his shot that hit the bar.considering he is still recovering from a leg fracture,i look forward to watching him when he is fully fit!!!

In Charleston, Wilson started the game with the big U.S. trialist and was okay. He took an elbow to the mouth and went off and Clint Hill came on. Hill and the American did okay but you could see the potential for mistakes.
When Wilson came back on and played with Hill it was as if he was transformed. You could hear Hill barking out to everyone and Wilson settled right down and played well. Hill got caught on the turn for Battery's goal but overall he had a settling influence on Wilson.
Who knows, maybe these two could be the CBs for the season.

not long in from work and watched the first half nowhere near as bad as some of the posts on here earlier would have you believe.ok we looked suspect at the back but hopefully that will be addressed overall I enjoyed watching my team play the ball on the ground and the interchanging and had very good possession of the ball. really looking forward to the second half now.

First half - Slow start, terrible defence, midfield wasn't up to much at all, controlled the game without creating much or having anything to show for it and probably should have been 3/4-0 down but weren't thanks to big Wes. 

Second half - started better, controlled the game, subs looked dynamite, created more chances, took our goals well and won the game rather comfortably in the end. Defence still shaky.

Motm - McKay easily, Wes deserves credit as well though. 

28 minutes ago, bomber said:

I thought forrester did ok andimproved as the game went on.unlucky with his shot that hit the bar.considering he is still recovering from a leg fracture,i look forward to watching him when he is fully fit!!!

thought he was trying too hard, but played well and great to see him back

When you play attacking football, you get hit on the break, it's pretty simple . Regardless of who our centre half pairing is teams will get chances. The main problem for me is that we can't defend set plays, and I see that more as a team problem rather than just blaming the CBs.

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

That says it all about the level of opposition. We did only have the second highest budget in Scottish football after all, with no one else coming close.

Different ball game altogether now.

What has the budget got to do with the two you are talking down? Do you think they would play better if we paid them more?

In Motherwell's last 2 home games against the dark side they were beaten 0 - 1 and 1 - 2 with the biggest budget in Scottish football, Ross County and Hibs won the other 2 cups with a lesser budget. So in other words it means absolutely fuck all as to indicate how successful or unsuccessful Wilson and Kiernan will be this season.

By belittling our achievements last season you show a lack of respect for M W and the players imo