So what did that friendly tell you?

KeyserSoze

You learn far more from a defeat than a 4-0 stroll to victory.  But... I don't think we really learned anything -- if we're being honest.  

One thing is glaring imho... If plan 'a' is not working,  plan 'b' must be plan 'b' not doing plan 'a' better.  Warbs seems a wee bit naive in that regard.

Doing a great job of course.. still more to learn (tu)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the previous posts but what it tells me is that our manager still has a lot to learn.  Before the crap hits my fan on this, I was as delighted as anyone when MW came in, the standard of football improved immeasurably however, I have been unimpressed at the lack of any change to our defence and to our tactics.    The defence is awful.   We also do not appear to have a plan B.  

9 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I haven't read the previous posts but what it tells me is that our manager still has a lot to learn.  Before the crap hits my fan on this, I was as delighted as anyone when MW came in, the standard of football improved immeasurably however, I have been unimpressed at the lack of any change to our defence and to our tactics.    The defence is awful.   We also do not appear to have a plan B.  

:matron:

11 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I haven't read the previous posts but what it tells me is that our manager still has a lot to learn.  Before the crap hits my fan on this, I was as delighted as anyone when MA came in, the standard of football improved immeasurably however, I have been unimpressed at the lack of any change to our defence and to our tactics.    The defence is awful.   We also do not appear to have a plan B.  

Spot on.

A lot of good & well thought out & not knee jerk critique in this thread - I don't believe that all the contributors are wrong.

Efit - I assume you meant MW, not MA?

9 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

We don't have a plan A against better teams either, half the time we are playing crap teams which makes us play what you call plan A. let's face it the squad cost 2 Bob, good enough for Scottish football, we all dream, but reality soon brings you back down with a bump.

The warning signs have all been there: Warburton not spending more than 5 minutes on the opposition, everyone at the club saying it's all about us, no plan B, do plan A better even though it's clear we'll get hammered by decent opposition that can defend and finish, Weir saying Warburton is more attacking than he'd like to be, the Brentford defender saying he was always left exposed. Kiernan being shite yet still playing. Celtic could have had 5 off us in the semifinal, but that was airbrushed from history after our win, they had like 22 shots or something! Similarly Motherwell were tearing us apart just a couple weeks ago. 

Celtic drew with the premiership champions last week, we got gubbed off this season's Premiership whipping boys. While I'm happy to wait and see how the team performs competitively, the warning signs are there for all to see. We have to do something about our defence.

I can't see Warburton ever being a success in Europe, teams will murder us on the counter. His tactics are too naive. 

16 minutes ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

The warning signs have all been there: Warburton not spending more than 5 minutes on the opposition, everyone at the club saying it's all about us, no plan B, do plan A better even though it's clear we'll get hammered by decent opposition that can defend and finish, Weir saying Warburton is more attacking than he'd like to be, the Brentford defender saying he was always left exposed. Kiernan being shite yet still playing. Celtic could have had 5 off us in the semifinal, but that was airbrushed from history after our win, they had like 22 shots or something! Similarly Motherwell were tearing us apart just a couple weeks ago. 

Celtic drew with the premiership champions last week, we got gubbed off this season's Premiership whipping boys. While I'm happy to wait and see how the team performs competitively, the warning signs are there for all to see. We have to do something about our defence.

I can't see Warburton ever being a success in Europe, teams will murder us on the counter. His tactics are too naive. 

Hahahaha honestly just fuck up if you're being serious

24 minutes ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

I don't think I've ever read a positive post about us(that's Rangers I'm talking about) from you

35 minutes ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

You know far to much about the tarriers for my liking , surprised you have lasted so long on here.

MW is the best manager we've had for many a year.  Last year we could't heap enough praise on him; when we won the SCSF we were gushing about what we would do when the actual season started. Now, with one bad result against stiff opposition - and remember, we still haven't decided on our best formation - his critics are becoming more vocal.  Surely the whole purpose of this exercise yesterday was to learn (and get a few more quid out of the punters)?  MW has shown in the past that he acknowledges when mistakes have been made - unlike our last manager who never made any mistakes (sic).  Comparing Rangers with other teams is like comparing apples with oranges.  We are better than our prospective opponents and they know it.  Results like this are only likely to instill a false sense of security.

Nothing I didn't already know.

Defence is awful. Manager and many fans needed a wee wake up call and maybe the game will be a reality check for both.

I was more disappointed with the midfield than I was the defence though. The amount of times there was plenty of space in the middle yet we passed around the back until there was a diagonal ball on was unreal. That's the area we have the most experienced players yet I felt they were all missing.

The problem is more than our back 4, or central 2, it's about the lack of, or poor performance of, our defensive philosophy. I don't know if we have one, because I can't see one being performed on the pitch. Whereas Burnley deployed a high pressing game to make it difficult to build from back, and then doubled up on the flanks when we did get out to nullify our wingers and I had it sussed in 5 minutes.

Our centre backs get exposed by our attacking players not working hard enough in defence. Countless times yesterday I saw Burnley players sneaking behind our wingers to freely enter wide positions, dragging our full backs out, leaving our CBs exposed to the pace of Gray.

Similarly whoever was at 9, whether it was Miller or Waghorn were not working hard enough to close Burnley down at the back, forcing Krancjar to come out of position and close down their defenders, bringing Barton up the field to fill that gap, further exposing our CBs.

If there is a defensive plan, I can't see it happening and it will cost us this title if we don't get it right.

21 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Nothing I didn't already know.

Defence is awful. Manager and many fans needed a wee wake up call and maybe the game will be a reality check for both.

I was more disappointed with the midfield than I was the defence though. The amount of times there was plenty of space in the middle yet we passed around the back until there was a diagonal ball on was unreal. That's the area we have the most experienced players yet I felt they were all missing.

Our midfield was very disjointed (as was the whole team); partly down to the fact Kranjcar is miles off the pace and Barton is not yet match fit, which was shown by the amount of times he got in trouble by taking an extra touch or passing it back instead of trying to get us on the attack.  Halliday although seemingly covering a lot of ground didn't seem to know when to go or when to stay and we seemed to get more penetration when Rossiter came on, so for me, we should be looking at a midfield with both Rossiter and Barton starting along with somebody like Windass in there if fit. I'm certainly not about to hit the panic button, but we have to improve in that area of the park.

Similar theme of it confirming lots of obvious things and exposing a few others that we're not tested often enough to see.

Our defending is the most obvious one; trying to do so with two players is a risky choice, unfair given other frailties in the team, I think. But when they look so lost, particularly in basics like marking and tackling, their ability needs to be questioned.

Rossiter needs to play as a holding midfielder. He obviously knows the position better than anybody else we have, brings an energy that might help to remind us how much better we are when we remember to close the opposition down quickly.

With a team so set up for having possession, we need to have much more of a threat.

The choice of centre-forward role should be between Waghorn and Dodoo. Wide-right is a position lots can play before Waghorn has to.

3 hours ago, Gary Wilmot's Wedding Brek said:

Fuck Celtic ya clown

37 minutes ago, John Eric Bartholomew said:

The problem is more than our back 4, or central 2, it's about the lack of, or poor performance of, our defensive philosophy. I don't know if we have one, because I can't see one being performed on the pitch...

Indeed - it has to be a conscious decision by MW given how long it's been apparent.

Even with the obvious limitations of our central defenders, they're on a hiding to nothing when the rest of the team aren't busting a gut to close down and stop better quality passes being played into dangerous areas.

13 hours ago, Dickie said:

So are you saying that weir has no imput in what goes on and quite happily goes along with what is jokingly called a Rangers defence???

As others have said just because he was a good defender doesn't mean he's a good teacher of defence! 

2 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

You know far to much about the tarriers for my liking , surprised you have lasted so long on here.

5 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

Fuck Celtic ya clown

3 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

I don't think I've ever read a positive post about us(that's Rangers I'm talking about) from you

3 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Hahahaha honestly just fuck up if you're being serious

Feel free to tell me which points of my message I'm wrong about? I've already stated my admiration for Warburton's turnaround of our side and been very positive at times, but it doesn't detract from the fact that the rest of what I said is correct. 

After last season's premier league result, you can be sure that Burnley will be aiming for a Champions League place, as much as Spurs, Leicester or Liverpool. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that they will be whipping boys. Only one of the promoted teams were relegated last season...and that was only after blowing it in the final half of the season. Burnley have as good a chance as Leicester this season.

You know in my opinion you are the kind of so called Rangers fan that typifies so many on RM full of what's ifs and could have beens wishing the team to do badly.

Score was exactly what I predicted and I think it was a blessing as too many people were thinking we were invincible after a few victories over poor opposition.

Good reminder that our defence is still as piss poor as last year and our attacking as easily read as last year while we still have time to get some loan deals and/or signings together. 

On a plus side nothing we will face this year should be of this standard and the team we have for the money we have paid is still going to be great to watch.

Every team needs a plan B 

Roll on Saturday 

Nearly a whole team of new players to bed into a squad and a step up to the top flight was never going to be as easy as some thought. MW does a great job of bedding players in quickly but real understanding takes time. So some of the treats we will meet this season are no where near as bad as we some would have you believe - I have great faith in MW but I don't think this will be the cake walk some think.