Kenny

RDFM

It's not really Kenny on a personal level I doubt.

As I said In my thread there he is still an asset to us, but not in an inter-changable 3 man forward line that Warburton employs.

He needs to maintain positions in and around the box because he's not as quick/sharp to inter-change and do all the running about.

We have players like Tav, Forrester, O'Halloran, McKay are are quick and nippy that can do that sort of work.

Miller is a fantastic finisher (in regards to big games and difficult finishes, I mean - I've no idea how he misses some of the simple ones and one on ones) - he needs to be in a position to stick to that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I called it in the first half that Kenny would score. I honestly don't know what the guy has to do to get some of our supporters off his back.

He is still a class act and one of our best forward players in the last 20 years or so.

Writing Kenny off as being 'done' is over the score and I don't say that because of today or even last week, I say that because in my view he's looked like he's been struggling to get up to speed in "pre-season" along with about half a dozen others in total despite the weekly rhetoric of 'having the new players in so early means we'll be extra ready'.

People are bemoaning Miller starting because we are sailing very close to the wind and Warburton has clearly been using League games to get Kenny up to speed.

Personally, I'm asking myself the question as to whether Warburton is working with too little, whether he isn't quite the manager we hope or whether he's being fly/calculating with an eye on September?! I obviously hope it's the last of the 3.

Writing Kenny off as being 'done' is over the score and I don't say that because of today or even last week, I say that because in my view he's looked like he's been struggling to get up to speed in "pre-season" along with about half a dozen others in total despite the weekly rhetoric of 'having the new players in so early means we'll be extra ready'. My assumption, therefore, is that when Kenny is up to speed business will resume as normal even if he's involved in the substitutions one way or another most weeks at this stage of his career (I assume Mr Warburton thinks that too hence the insistence in playing him).

People are bemoaning Miller starting because we are sailing very close to the wind and Warburton has clearly been using League games to get Kenny up to speed. By sailing close to the wind we dropped points and a message of intent against Hamilton (one of the poorest teams going just now), made hard work of a game against Dundee that should have been over by half time and today we scraped by Motherwell late on - all 3 of these games could have slipped out of reach quite easily and that's ultimately why people are intolerant of passengers.

To me, Warburton has questions to answer mounting up and today it seemed like we were playing as though Garner with his aerial threat was playing, cross after cross into the box when we have no one that sticks their head on the ball even in our defense. Maybe that's just it, Warburton is playing the long game assuming that we'll get through the present, who knows but one thing is for certain we need to get our shit together pronto for September.  

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

I called it in the first half that Kenny would score. I honestly don't know what the guy has to do to get some of our supporters off his back.

He is still a class act and one of our best forward players in the last 20 years or so.

Actually stick to the CF position, and stop trying to drop into midfield and be a 37 year Lionel Messi with a first touch like a rock wall. 

Agreed, thought Tav had a good game apart from maybe at their goal when he lost his man and let him run. Barton for me has been the biggest disappointment along with Mckay who seems like he's lost all his confidence. Barton maybe just needs more games.  I think now we have Garner Kenny will play alot less minutes but I'm not gona slate his performance today, hes a striker and he scored the winner today. 

11 minutes ago, kanjo said:

I thought he improved when he got shunted to right wing and Dodoo was through the middle.

He did. Because he stopped thinking he was Messi and stuck to a role. And no running 40 yards from CF position to get and give a 2 yard pass to a defender.

I am his biggest critic and I wish he was dropped. But if he must play then surely to he'll he needs to learn that if he's in the no9 position to bloody stay there.

He's probably the player that least fits in to our system. He's poor technically, and that leads to him slowing down our play and losing possession. He has no positional awareness.

He's not nearly good enough to fire us to a league title. Garner next week, please.

Not surprised to see him become the whipping boy again on here for some.

Should he start, probably not, but him and Forrester have dragged us to two wins in a row when the manager has made a cunt of his team selections, Barton and Halliday have been non existent and Barrie Mckay has went missing.

Joe Garner has big boots to fill.

Wouldn't start him, but he's definitely more effective when he's not the central forward. We don't seem to be able to adapt to him buggering off from the central position as often as he does.

6 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Absolutely garbage today. Totally counterproductive and dropping into every position but CF.

Game changed when Dodoo came on and we actually had a forward to run channels and get in the box.

Good goal, but dreadful performance. 

I didn't understand that, especially when Halliday was getting into those positions instead, early on in the second half.

14 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Wouldn't start him, but he's definitely more effective when he's not the central forward. We don't seem to be able to adapt to him buggering off from the central position as often as he does.

Or he could just go crazy.  And stay central. 

3 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He did. Because he stopped thinking he was Messi and stuck to a role. And no running 40 yards from CF position to get and give a 2 yard pass to a defender.

i am his biggest critic and I wish he was dropped. But if he must play then surely to he'll he needs to learn that if he's in the no9 position to bloody stay there.

Yer kidden.

Too many folks need to give Kenny a bit more credit, the amount of people today who were crying out for miller to be subbed was wrong, there were plenty others in the team who were way below average but still our support cry out for miller to be pulled off the park. 

Just now, Daz said:

Too many folks need to give Kenny a bit more credit, the amount of people today who were crying out for miller to be subbed was wrong, there were plenty others in the team who were way below average but still our support cry out for miller to be pulled off the park. 

Never in the box when he's the striker, first touch is awful - never been great tbf - and misses chances that he should score.