Jason Holt is only 23..

Gaz52

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

He's bang average football player and just another that's benefited from our situation over these last few years.

Everybody in the team has benefited from our situation to be fair.

I think we've been better due to having a better balanced team rather than just because Holt is there. Many last year thought we missed him and we'd get better when he came into the team yet we got worse when he came back. Again more to do with the fact the balance was wrong rather than because he was there or not.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To me he is like John White much of what he does does goes unnoticed but he has an eye for a pass and runs well into space which is something that cannot be coached. He will develop to be the man to open up defences with his surgical passes and his awareness players around him 

1 minute ago, Coplandbear11 said:

?? I'm just highlighting how the view of a player can change from fan to fan. Game to game. 

We all have opinions i like Holt as one thing is he always give 100% that doesn't mean he's good enough to take us forward but that also doesn't mean he isn't, my judgement just my opinion which ultimately means nothing as Managers pick who they want.

5 hours ago, KingKirk said:

He's bang average football player and just another that's benefited from our situation over these last few years.

I don't think anybody needs to provide a list of the utter shite we've had on the park over the years and still managed to win titles, Jason Holt is a good footballer. Of course nowhere near the best, equally however, not even close to the worst.

He is a key player the way the team is set up and always tries to make himself available by finding space and angles for a pass. The team plays at its best when they play with a tempo of quick and accurate passes. Jason is usually at the heart of things when we play that way. 

However he is not a natural goalscorer, and I think he can be bullied in the bigger games, which is more down to his stature rather than ability.

44 minutes ago, moody blue 1972 said:

he's our paul pogba - worth at least £60 million.  hey if they can put  a £40 mil price on dembele (as reported) then why not

while we're at it, garner's our diego costa (certainly flings himself around a lot)

Haha...I know I was wondering where the 40 million quid came from also! Pmsl :D

8 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

He is a good wee player, but to be honest, he is a little bit behind where we need to be to be honest.

He might develop into a player that will be indispensable to us, but right now, his position is one where I would like to see a better player be recruited, so that he needs to really up his game to get in.

problem is that his position, and a few others, genuinely needs a decent transfer fee to find the players required to win this league, 2million at least if not more (davis was 3.5mill for example)

was a great player last year for us before injury, dont know if its just fitness this year or playing at a higher standard thats stopped his progress....opinions of players differ i do like him but dont rate him as highly as some.

All this 23 years old stuff is rubbish tho...Ferguson was captain at 22

4 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

was a great player last year for us before injury, dont know if its just fitness this year or playing at a higher standard thats stopped his progress....opinions of players differ i do like him but dont rate him as highly as some.

All this 23 years old stuff is rubbish tho...Ferguson was captain at 22

Comparisons to Ferguson are a little unfair. Ferguson was an exceptional talent who was bossing games in Europe against established internationalists. How many Scottish players have been at Ferguson's level aged 22 in the past say 20 years? Not many, if any off the top of my head. How many have even come close to Ferguson's level aged 22 in the past 20 years? Again, not many jump out immediately so I am happy to be corrected. Holt is doing fine IMO, and at 23 I believe will develop into an even better.........

I rate Holt, but well done and "oh my god, he's only 23" for a good performance against Kilmarnock?

I apologise if I'm being a bit doom-and-gloom, but does a good showing against an abysmal Killie side compensate for being bullied by Scott Brown at Hampden last weekend? For me, it doesn't.

After the complete and utter garbage I've sat through this season, it'll take a lot more than Holt running show, Garner leading the line and O'Halloran causing it against Killie for me to lavish them with praise.

Also, 23 years-old isn't young in footballing terms.

Holt isn't actually a very good footballer. However, he's very intelligent and reads the game well and this coupled with his running ability is what makes him effective. He's done a job last season and will this year but we should be looking for upgrades on our championship squad, sooner rather than later. Having said that though, great business getting him for 65k.

Side Note - Please don't compare him with Ferguson, in fact, don't compare any Scottish midfielder or midfielder playing in Scotland with him. It's just unfair. Fergie was one of the best midfielders Scotland has produced in probably the last two decades.

2 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Holt isn't actually a very good footballer. However, he's very intelligent and reads the game well and this coupled with his running ability is what makes him effective. He's done a job last season and will this year but we should be looking for upgrades on our championship squad, sooner rather than later. Having said that though, great business getting him for 65k.

Side Note - Please don't compare him with Ferguson, in fact, don't compare any Scottish midfielder or midfielder playing in Scotland with him. It's just unfair. Fergie was one of the best midfielders Scotland has produced in probably the last two decades.

I'd say Ferguson was THE best Scottish player from 90's onwards. Haven't produced anyone of his class since.

I'm sure Ferguson himself must regret being persuaded on Blackburn by Souness. He should've stayed with us a little longer and then moved to a bigger club down South. He had a great career with us (apart from the end obviously) and won plenty of medals, made a lot of money but he had the ability to do more. 

Not the latter Ferguson at Rangers who played too far forward. The Advocaat era Ferguson and the Birmingham Ferguson. As a deep lying midfielder, getting on the ball and spreading it out QB style, he was excellent. 

2 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I rate Holt, but well done and "oh my god, he's only 23" for a good performance against Kilmarnock?

I apologise if I'm being a bit doom-and-gloom, but does a good showing against an abysmal Killie side compensate for being bullied by Scott Brown at Hampden last weekend? For me, it doesn't.

After the complete and utter garbage I've sat through this season, it'll take a lot more than Holt running show, Garner leading the line and O'Halloran causing it against Killie for me to lavish them with praise.

Ain't exactly old either though is it ? 

7 hours ago, californiadreamin52 said:

To me he is like John White much of what he does does goes unnoticed but he has an eye for a pass and runs well into space which is something that cannot be coached. He will develop to be the man to open up defences with his surgical passes and his awareness players around him 

FFS Halliday is as good as Durrant and now Holt is like John White, RM if nothing else is good for a laugh.   

3 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Sadly this is the most sensible post of this abomination of a thread, particularly the last line. Many posters have ridiculously short memories - less than a week.

As someone else said Holt is bang average. I'll support and cheer him while he's playing but he's not the standard required if we want to win another title.

Normally I'm positive and upbeat but you can excuse me if I'm not cumming in my pants considering the last week or so. If Holt was a 7 or 8 yesterday then he was a fucking 3 last Sunday. Needs to prove he's Rangers class in the big games, not just home ties vs a poor Kilmarnock.

Was gonna end it there but that thread title... Is 23 a youngster nowadays?

1 hour ago, cumnockbear said:

Ain't exactly old either though is it ? 

Is this a serious question?

The OP titled this topic after Holt's age, as if it's some sort of novelty.

Need I mention that Dembelé and Tierney across the city are 19 and 20 years-old, respectively? That should put this topic into perspective.

I swear, that win against Kilmarnock has driven some people daft. It was Kilmarnock, for fuck's sake.

Saturday was very heartwarming and our best display for a long time, hopefully we have turned a corner for the better. Been playing shite, but still 2nd. It's going to be tough to catch the bheasts, but atm they think that it's all wrapped up, Brenda talking about winning it in style etc. That attitude could be very much to our benefit. Still a long way to go, and 3 games v the scum aswell. Just gotta keep plugging away and winning, who knows eh? It wouldn't be the 1st time we have emerged from an impossible position to win the league.