Not enough black coaches

A.T.G

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, geneva_ger said:

Ouch, that's a bit near the knuckle assumption. Have you listened to some of the white managers and seen how they present themselves?

No, I've never been on an interview panel for a football club. But I have had many job interviews (got made redundant last year and applied for almost every job going in my field) and interviews are where you have the best opportunity to sell yourself. I don't think they are selling themselves or they are coming across as a bit arrogant perhaps (see Dwight Yorke applying for jobs by text and expecting to walk into a top job when he has been out of the game for years).

On 16/11/2016 at 8:52 PM, Laudrup1984 said:

I'm not sure how accurate this is but I believe one of the codes that is to be adhered to is as follows:

"Clubs must include at least one suitably qualified BME candidate (where an application has been received) on the interview shortlist for that position."

If that is the case then any club can surely just say that they have not received any applications that they deem to be suitable for the interview process if that is their belief, and if they can (and they should be able to IMO) then the process is flawed.

That's the exact rule mate, I don't think it should be applied at all.

Say you have a managers position available and you receive 20 applications, 19 white and 1 black. 

Now we could have 5 guys straight away through reputation that have an outstanding CV are immediately given an interview, the rest are all mid league table coaches with no significance or CV. Then there could be a black guy, CV stinks, worse than the rest but he has to get an interview. The rule says he must.

Its a waste of his time, the clubs time, everyone's time. Now if this black guy has just won 3 champions leagues on the bounce, 5 straight domestic trebles and sold players on and made the club £500m profit, you can fucking guarantee he is getting the job on the highest salary ever been given to anyone in the football world. I don't understand why nobody in the media understands this or worse they probably do but to be seen to oppose it and you will more likely be labelled a racist even though it is clear logic.

To me it smacks of blacks and ethnic minorities just playing the racism and oppressed card again and it really fucking bugs me.

The best candidates for the job should be considered regardless of skin colour, there shouldn't be spaces reserved for anyone.

If black coaches or any other group are being overlooked for interviews then they should be improving their credentials to make it too hard to ignore them instead of playing the race card.

On 16/11/2016 at 5:58 PM, Creampuff said:

Why would considering a black candidate mean that a white candidate wouldn't get the job? You consider a black manager, you consider a white manager, you hire the better candidate. 

I not necessarily saying I'm a fan of the Rooney rule - I think it's on a flawed premise of the reason for underrepresentation of ethnic minorities - but it's no where near as bad as some are making out.

There's a similar rule with regards to disabilities for public sector jobs that if you are disabled and meet the minimum criteria you are guaranteed an interview.

One public sector employer I worked for had a simple formula for how many people they would interview based on the number of jobs available that in theory would mean if enough disabled people applied no-one else would be interviewed even if on paper there were plenty of more qualified candidates.

The other negative of this in terms of the football manager situation is that in management they often choose the candidate and approach them so in all likelihood 3 candidates will be shortlisted for interview and then clubs would invite a token minority for interview with no intention of considering them at all because they already have their shortlist of 3 they actually want

This is alot of shite. I coach and agree that there is a low amount of black coaches but end of the day. 

If I went for a job, had the exact same coaching qualifications, experience etc and lost out to somebody black because I'm white, I fail to see how that isn't racist against me or somebody else in the situation.