garner

Basrah Bear

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't rate him but seen on a Preston site when he signed that they'd went defensive to survive after reaching the championship.

Most seemed to think that and playing up front alone was the reason he stopped scoring so many. He would no doubt benefit from a partner but his timings always off so I think he's probably not cut out for a club like us.

Preston fans also seemed a bit partisan about the wee man because of his willingness to scrap so I think that probably influenced their reaction to losing him as well.

My own opinion isĀ he makes wee Nacho and Kenny look composed and prolific in front of goal. Hope I'm wrong but he's no better than a squad player who might be able to add a bit of aggression to a game as a sub for what would need to be aĀ second striker.

He'll have to do for now. Just hope he shows up next week.

21 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I know you mean well mate but we have an obsession with referring to signings 25 years ago when talking about every single player we sign that's shite. Not everyone will turn out to be Hateley after a bad startĀ 

I do laugh at some people on the forum tho - up until yesterday he was the best thing since sliced bread with his daft song etc now everyone's getting ripped into him after a bad game. There's no consistency... not taking about anyone in particular just the overall tone just rapidly changesĀ 

if Halliday has a great game against St Johnstone in a few days too the forum will have him up in the clouds sucking his cock like he's Julian Draxler or somethingĀ 

Totally agree, some times us lot are just optimistic and are hoping things do change for the better, if we all tell the truth then most of this team are not good enough, For me Garner is a work horse and not a goal threat and if we keep playing him up front on his own then he will do little damage however he does ruffle a few feathers with his style of play and the opposition don't like it, I would have had Halliday off at half time on Saturday and if I'm honest he shouldn't haveĀ started, anyway it's out of our hands how this team perform game to game and on this seasons viewing it's pretty pish to be honest and we won't be challenging the scum anytime soon if things are not changed. Even beating the scum on Saturday although a great feeling is only papering over the cracks.

14 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

The system doesn't prevent him from missing blatant sitters.

True but even the best strikers in the world don't score every time. The very best do 1 in 2 or thereabouts. Ally looked at convertingĀ about 1 in 3. WeĀ hardly createĀ 3 good chances each game among the whole side.

1 hour ago, BlueboyG said:

Totally agree, some times us lot are just optimistic and are hoping things do change for the better, if we all tell the truth then most of this team are not good enough, For me Garner is a work horse and not a goal threat and if we keep playing him up front on his own then he will do little damage however he does ruffle a few feathers with his style of play and the opposition don't like it, I would have had Halliday off at half time on Saturday and if I'm honest he shouldn't haveĀ started, anyway it's out of our hands how this team perform game to game and on this seasons viewing it's pretty pish to be honest and we won't be challenging the scum anytime soon if things are not changed. Even beating the scum on Saturday although a great feeling is only papering over the cracks.

Brilliant post. Telling it like it is. I keep hoping Garner, etc. start making me eat my words but as you say, it's false optimism. I hate being negative & I think it's a shame for the under-achievers, it's not their fault they're not that good.

I'm happy to give the lad time, the front threes been getting juggled about constantly soĀ its not entirely surprising that he's taking a bit to settle into his role.

Im convinced he'll come good & if he doesn't it certainly won't be for lack of effort.

Some are being a bit quick to judge him imo.

2 hours ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

The system doesn't prevent him from missing blatant sitters.

Indeed it's become almost an excuse for him now.

Septic play 1 up-front in most games and the strikers they have don't seem to have any problem getting goals.

The harsh truth is we need a far better striker than JG if we are ever going to win the league again.Ā 

On 25/12/2016 at 10:00 PM, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Strikers don't just forget how to score goals. It's clear our system doesn't bring out the best in him.

I'm with you on that.

For the cash outlay, in our league, I'd have hoped he might have been able to produce a bit for himself.

I know Waggy's not perfect, but he can run in from 25 yards out & set himself up for a crack at goal.

A bit of that wouldn't go amiss, but yes, from what I too hear, we aren't set up to bring out the best in him.

Unbelievable comments in here. How is Garner meant to perform when those around him haven't turned up? Halliday was poor, Holt was poor, McKay was poor, Windass was poor, and yet Garner is supposed to do something? If we are to see the best of Garner then he is the type of player who will need those around him to perform-Ā he isn't a Waghorn that can create his own chances, he relies on service; something he didn't get a lot of against Inverness.

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

Unbelievable comments in here. How is Garner meant to perform when those around him haven't turned up? Halliday was poor, Holt was poor, McKay was poor, Windass was poor, and yet Garner is supposed to do something? If we are to see the best of Garner then he is the type of player who will need those around him to perform-Ā he isn't a Waghorn that can create his own chances, he relies on service; something he didn't get a lot of against Inverness.

As I said above, you might expect him to be able to go past a man or two & have a go.

No sign of that sort of ability.

So he wins a few flick ons & scraps a bit.

You might say those around him aren't performing because he isn't - thought about that?

He's not scoring &, with our average goals for of under 1.4 a game, he's not assisting much, either.

So what IS he doing?

And yes, as our 'marquee' signing at Ā£1.5m (or more), we might expect him to perform.

Why wouldn't you?

Just now, HG5 said:

As I said above, you might expect him to be able to go past a man or two & have a go.

No sign of that sort of ability.

So he wins a few flick ons & scraps a bit.

You might say those around him aren't performing because he isn't - thought about that?

He's not scoring &, with our average goals for of under 1.4 a game, he's not assisting much, either.

So what IS he doing?

And yes, as our 'marquee' signing at Ā£1.5m (or more), we might expect him to perform.

Why wouldn't you?

He isn't our marquee signing just because he was the most expensive; we lost those marquee signings during the season. I might say that those around him aren't performing because he isn't doesn't ring true, in fact others have said he draws them into the game. There is no evidence that players are playing badly because of Garner, there is evidence that he brings out the game in others. On Saturday, he chased down balls, and looked one of the few that wanted to try, at least. What is he doing? Too early to say, that might take longer for him to establish himself in the team, but that is for him to answer anyway, and if we give him a more creative midfield then maybe that will happen.

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

He isn't our marquee signing just because he was the most expensive; we lost those marquee signings during the season. I might say that those around him aren't performing because he isn't doesn't ring true, in fact others have said he draws them into the game. There is no evidence that players are playing badly because of Garner, there is evidence that he brings out the game in others. On Saturday, he chased down balls, and looked one of the few that wanted to try, at least. What is he doing? Too early to say, that might take longer for him to establish himself in the team, but that is for him to answer anyway, and if we give him a more creative midfield then maybe that will happen.

Look at the goals scored & there's no real evidence he's doing much for anybody that turns into anything.

Only thing I can recall is the heavily deflected, quick free kick vs the sheep, when Kenny scored.

But he won't repeat that in a month of Sunday's!

Going back to your earlier post, I agree that there are some amongst ours who will only play if those around them do.

I'm putting JG in that bracket - my main gripe is that, for the money, and of course his great record in English Div 3, which plenty say is better than our league, I'd have expected more.

And I've no problem with his work rate - I would question if all his effort is being expended in the right direction?

14 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Look at the goals scored & there's no real evidence he's doing much for anybody that turns into anything.

Only thing I can recall is the heavily deflected, quick free kick vs the sheep, when Kenny scored.

But he won't repeat that in a month of Sunday's!

Going back to your earlier post, I agree that there are some amongst ours who will only play if those around them do.

I'm putting JG in that bracket - my main gripe is that, for the money, and of course his great record in English Div 3, which plenty say is better than our league, I'd have expected more.

And I've no problem with his work rate - I would question if all his effort is being expended in the right direction?

I can't deny he hasn't scored enough, but as long as he gets in goal-scoring positions then I'm hopeful. Our problems come from midfield, there is no creativity of note, certainly not Rangers standard, and if we don't get that sorted this window then players like Garner will toil. I saw him closing down their players on Saturday, and he covered every blade of grass; he shouldn't have to do all the work, but apart from him, Waghorn,Ā Hill, and Foderingham thenĀ the rest of them didn't turn up. Garner is not the beginning of this team's problems; there are many other players not at his level, and certainly not at Rangers level playing in this side.