• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Prso cost £25k a week on wages

Ferguson cost us £4.5 million

Novo cost us £500k

Yes that's right.....they required investment.

Ah come on now! :lol: 

Pedantic for pedantics sake. I can't recall who started the thread - but look at the players we've brought in for pennies or nada. 

Prso was brought in and he replaced big Egil Ostenstad that season... or maybe it was the superstar Stevie Thomson? All of which we paid more for than Prso ?

We need money from European football and player sales, only then can we start spending again and the point is - there's more players out there for relatively cheap that can do that

4 minutes ago, BigAmo'sThighs said:

Pedantic for pedantics sake. I can't recall who started the thread - but look at the players we've brought in for pennies or nada. 

Prso was brought in and he replaced big Egil Ostenstad that season... or maybe it was the superstar Stevie Thomson? All of which we paid more for than Prso ?

We need money from European football and player sales, only then can we start spending again and the point is - there's more players out there for relatively cheap that can do that

We won't get European football without the players to get us past the 4/5 qualifying rounds. That's going to take some investment in itself.

Player sales wise again we need to bring in talented players, develop them and sell on for profit. I don't see where that could happen with this current lot and manager...I mean Rossiter was supposed to be that guy but is looking like Jamie Ness.

In short to get to where we need to be it's not going to be youth players or loan punts on youth players down south...it's going to take solid investment on proven players as well as up and coming talent.

There's no getting out of this situation or improving it without investment, that's just the reality of where we are at.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

We won't get European football without the players to get us past the 4/5 qualifying rounds. That's going to take some investment in itself.

Player sales wise again we need to bring in talented players, develop them and sell on for profit. I don't see where that could happen with this current lot and manager...I mean Rossiter was supposed to be that guy but is looking like Jamie Ness.

In short to get to where we need to be it's not going to be youth players or loan punts on youth players down south...it's going to take solid investment on proven players as well as up incoming talent.

There's no getting out of this situation or improving it without investment, that's just the reality of where we are at.

I'd love to see this team play the qualifying rounds tbh. It's hardly a who's who of world superstars. Dundalk did well for god sake? How much investment did they have? 

The European game suits us better, its slower paced with less pressure on the ball. 

I doubt we'd get through, but I don't think we'd do as badly as you'd think. 

Investment can't and won't come until we're qualified for European football at the very least, so it's a two way street. We need to recruit well for pennies in the meantime 

Just now, BigAmo'sThighs said:

Investment can't and won't come until we're qualified for European football at the very least, so it's a two way street. We need to recruit well for pennies in the meantime 

Well we won't be in Europe past August then.

Just because Dundalk got a easy draw through the QF's does not mean we would. We had guys like De Boer, Mols and so on and got papped out by utter shite in qualifiers.

This squad folded against Hivs in a high pressure final, have folded against the tims 3 times in a row now. You think they would do well in Europe?

That's mental

Investment is needed now because 2nd isn't guaranteed. We don't need to throw caution to the wind in terms of spending cash we don't have but at some point we need to speculate to accumulate and that time is now. 

Invest now if the players are available, get 2nd in the bag and prepare for Europe. The alternative,if we fail to grab runner up spot, can't even be contemplated. 

1 minute ago, JR said:

Investment is needed now because 2nd isn't guaranteed. We don't need to throw caution to the wind in terms of spending cash we don't have but at some point we need to speculate to accumulate and that time is now. 

Invest now if the players are available, get 2nd in the bag and prepare for Europe. The alternative,if we fail to grab runner up spot, can't even be contemplated. 

3rd would get us into europe as well -  Theres no difference between 2nd and 3rd. As fans, 3rd is unacceptable - but I am not sure the money men would bother...

10 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

3rd would get us into europe as well -  Theres no difference between 2nd and 3rd. As fans, 3rd is unacceptable - but I am not sure the money men would bother...

Oh they would. 

Attitudes throughout the club would change drastically if we're perceived to be falling further behind the tims than we are now. 

Finishing 2nd sells the idea that we are on the way to mounting a serious challenge for the title. That encourages investment, finishing 3rd damages that. 

We're trying to develop too many players at once.  It's no coincidence we make so many mistakes in every position.  King and his band of merry men need to deliver 2 solid signings and it's the managers and scout responsibilities to find the right players.  I'm sick of seeing warburtons past players linked with us- if players can't get a game for Doncaster or mk dons then they will not help us win the league.  All we're doing with loan signings is developing another teams player only for them to go back and be punted for a few more than we can afford or they break into the first team.   Our signing policy is becoming akin to Motherwell etc

2 hours ago, The Godfather said:

In short to get to where we need to be it's not going to be youth players or loan punts on youth players down south...it's going to take solid investment on proven players as well as up and coming talent.

Agree. You watch, though; IF we get 2nd/3rd this season and lose a second-round qualifier to Kraznavar or someone like that, the gaffer will still argue that the "objective" of European football has been achieved. IMHO we should not accept anything less than at least what St. Johnstone achieved in their annus mirabilis, i.e. third or fourth round qualifiers. I believe that's where they start paying out around Euro 150,000 a game as well...EDIT - actually it's more: Euro 200,000 just for taking part in qualifiers regardless, then a per-game bonus. Good money - http://www.totalsportek.com/money/europa-league-prize-money/

On 10/01/2017 at 9:33 AM, Ozblue said:

, but as I said previously; he's basically a novice manager who will make plenty of mistakes but I'm confident that given decent backing from our board, he will be a good manager in years to come. :pipe:

Can I ask you what gives you such confidence in MW?  I'm not getting at you it is simply that I cab't see anything now which gives me any confidence at all due to what I have been watching over the last 12 months.   That is a total change of heart on my part as I was brimming with confidence during his first 6 months.

12 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Can I ask you what gives you such confidence in MW?  I'm not getting at you it is simply that I cab't see anything now which gives me any confidence at all due to what I have been watching over the last 12 months.   That is a total change of heart on my part as I was brimming with confidence during his first 6 months.

The confidence stems from the fact that he has done a very good job with what I would term VERY average players that very few of us had heard of. His footballing ethos has changed the entire structure of our club for the better and we hopefully will reap the rewards in the near future.

We have fans calling for Warburton to resign because he is signing mediocre players that are not "Rangers Class" while at the same time they don't sit down and think WHY he is bringing in players that wouldn't even have got through the front door at Ibrox not so long ago. The reason is because he is bringing in players commensurate with the amount of money the board has to spend= Fuck all,by the look of it, so until DK either opens his wallet or brings in new financial investors that will allow us to buy better quality, Warburton will continue to bring in freebies or kids with potential.

As I said; In reality he is a novice manager that makes plenty of mistakes, but I am convinced that with better players who wouldn't make horrendous mistakes on the field that cost us dearly (as the current ones have done this season) then those mistakes of Warburton wouldn't even have been noticed.

Having been in football basically all my life and knowing the ins and outs of what happens behind the scenes at football clubs, I have a lot of sympathy for Mark Warburton at the moment because I feel the board are not backing him enough to get the best out of him as a manager.

In essence; I think Mark Warburton  will be a very good manager in years to come....Whether that is with Rangers FC or not is another matter.:pipe:

4 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

The confidence stems from the fact that he has done a very good job with what I would term VERY average players that very few of us had heard of. His footballing ethos has changed the entire structure of our club for the better and we hopefully will reap the rewards in the near future.

We have fans calling for Warburton to resign because he is signing mediocre players that are not "Rangers Class" while at the same time they don't sit down and think WHY he is bringing in players that wouldn't even have got through the front door at Ibrox not so long ago. The reason is because he is bringing in players commensurate with the amount of money the board has to spend= Fuck all,by the look of it, so until DK either opens his wallet or brings in new financial investors that will allow us to buy better quality, Warburton will continue to bring in freebies or kids with potential.

As I said; In reality he is a novice manager that makes plenty of mistakes, but I am convinced that with better players who wouldn't make horrendous mistakes on the field that cost us dearly (as the current ones have done this season) then those mistakes of Warburton wouldn't even have been noticed.

Having been in football basically all my life and knowing the ins and outs of what happens behind the scenes at football clubs, I have a lot of sympathy for Mark Warburton at the moment because I feel the board are not backing him enough to get the best out of him as a manager.

In essence; I think Mark Warburton  will be a very good manager in years to come....Whether that is with Rangers FC or not is another matter.:pipe:

Effectively it is your gut feeling though.   

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Effectively it is your gut feeling though.   

Yes it is,mate:pipe: and it is probably because I myself made some bad decisions regarding the style of play I wanted my teams to play when I first took up coaching (or so it seemed) but when I got better quality in the squad and rectified my mistakes it all worked out.

At the moment we are fucking terrible in most games mainly due to individual errors from the players and our midfield that are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike; and I'm sure Warburton is well aware of that and will rue the fact Barton and Kranjcar were signed for that exact reason.

On 10/01/2017 at 3:25 PM, BigAmo'sThighs said:

Well we are obviously not finding them.

4 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Yes it is,mate:pipe: and it is probably because I myself made some bad decisions regarding the style of play I wanted my teams to play when I first took up coaching (or so it seemed) but when I got better quality in the squad and rectified my mistakes it all worked out.

At the moment we are fucking terrible in most games mainly due to individual errors from the players and our midfield that are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike; and I'm sure Warburton is well aware of that and will rue the fact Barton and Kranjcar were signed for that exact reason.

I have lost all confidence in MW so we obviously disagree.   I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see it.   He cannot change tactics to any great degree during a game even against poor opposition.   Another example of what worries me:  It was bad enough signing Kiernan but then he extended his stay.  Yet another:  Tavernier in central midfield.     I could go on but I'm sure you know where I'd be going with this. 

7 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I have lost all confidence in MW so we obviously disagree.   I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see it.   He cannot change tactics to any great degree during a game even against poor opposition.   Another example of what worries me:  It was bad enough signing Kiernan but then he extended his stay.  Yet another:  Tavernier in central midfield.     I could go on but I'm sure you know where I'd be going with this. 

I totally agree with you regards the case with Kiernan, but let's face it; when Clint Hill is your star central defender and the likes of Kiernan gets an extention, it screams out the obvious from the board....we have nae fucking dosh. I have also said Warburton has made many errors of judgement as a novice and he probably will make many more before he's finished, but I'm confident he will improve......when Foderingham was getting slagged fucking terrible on here when he first joined, I stated on many threads that big Wes would become as good a keeper, if not better than McGregor given time and as far as I'm concerned he is getting there; and I'm confident Warburton will do likewise as a manager given decent funds to buy players who aren't free transfers or over the hill.

On 10/01/2017 at 3:25 PM, BigAmo'sThighs said:

Posts like yours really frustrate me how many times/how difficult is it to understand that the European football you talk about to bolster finances you can't get unless you spend something wisely to get it 

it's so so simple - I wonder if people have a brain sometimes it's obvious and right in front of your face what needs done 

35 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I totally agree with you regards the case with Kiernan, but let's face it; when Clint Hill is your star central defender and the likes of Kiernan gets an extention, it screams out the obvious from the board....we have nae fucking dosh. I have also said Warburton has made many errors of judgement as a novice and he probably will make many more before he's finished, but I'm confident he will improve......when Foderingham was getting slagged fucking terrible on here when he first joined, I stated on many threads that big Wes would become as good a keeper, if not better than McGregor given time and as far as I'm concerned he is getting there; and I'm confident Warburton will do likewise as a manager given decent funds to buy players who aren't free transfers or over the hill.

Wes could be getting better because of Jim Stewarts coaching and pressure from Gilks breathing down his neck for a shot in the first team.